• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Everett Atlas Horror Covers
2 2

145 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Does anyone know why the Everett covers for Journey into Mystery command more money than his Strange Tales ones?

I'm not sure if the value disparity is strictly because of Bill Everett's cover art.  I've noticed that these two titles always seem to be pricier than any of Atlas's other horror comics, with the possible exception of Menace.  I've also found that many of the Strange Tales' stories seem to be about the scariest put out by Atlas.

Don’t know if this got posted yet. It’s an 8.5 from the “other” guys hence the top crop. It checks two boxes for me, Everett and Egyptian themed...

CC3BE8C7-4080-46DF-9F8B-9E10E437A768.thumb.jpeg.6546e04c1ba16fc63aa2505cb9bd956f.jpeg

Everett was one of the few artists I can think of with a drinking problem that didn’t seem to interfere with the quality of his work but mostly deadlines. If not for that we might be talking about his stellar run on Tomb of Dracula in the 70’s and finally know what issue exactly they were working on that wild weekend of the Torch/Namor battle in Steranko’s book...o.O

On 7/23/2020 at 1:12 PM, N e r V said:

Don’t know if this got posted yet. It’s an 8.5 from the “other” guys hence the top crop. It checks two boxes for me, Everett and Egyptian themed...

CC3BE8C7-4080-46DF-9F8B-9E10E437A768.thumb.jpeg.6546e04c1ba16fc63aa2505cb9bd956f.jpeg

Everett was one of the few artists I can think of with a drinking problem that didn’t seem to interfere with the quality of his work but mostly deadlines. If not for that we might be talking about his stellar run on Tomb of Dracula in the 70’s and finally know what issue exactly they were working on that wild weekend of the Torch/Namor battle in Steranko’s book...o.O

I guess I forgot that this was an Everett cover. Thanks for posting this!!! 

Journey Into Unknown Worlds 54 front Spanish.jpg

On 7/23/2020 at 2:12 PM, N e r V said:

Everett and Egyptian themed...

Not a cover but otherwise a match

Namora Doom Desert p1.jpg

1 minute ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Doesn’t a 3.0 seem low for the Strange Tales #50?  Is something wrong with the back?

Nope. It’s one of those nicer than the grade presenting books. I purchased this book already graded so I don’t know the graders notes. But as far as I can see through the slab, cover is secure with no spine splits. I like this book so much I have a 5.0 raw copy on its way. Will be posting when in hand...