• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Office Question
2 2

13 posts in this topic

On July 8, I sent three boxes to an address in Philadelphia, PA, using Priority Mail.

One package arrived at the buyer's address on July 11, 2020, as it should have.

Another package arrived at the buyer's address on July 16, 2020. It was a little late, but at least it arrived.

The third package (9405509205568710620833) was apparently delivered to the wrong address on July 11, 2020. When I go to the tracking page, I see Alert, with the following message: "Your item was forwarded to a different address at 4:13 pm on July 11, 2020 in PHILADELPHIA, PA. This was because of forwarding instructions or because the address or ZIP Code on the label was incorrect."

There is NO way the address or ZIP Code were incorrect. I printed my three labels on Pirate Ship, and I checked all of them, and they all are exactly the same. I can't imagine that the packing label came off, because it was secured to the box with five strips of clear packing tape.

My return address is clearly on the label. If the package wasn't able to be delivered, I can live with that; I just want the package to be returned to me. If it has been determined that the address was correct, then I just want the package to be delivered.

It's clear that the package is somewhere in Philadelphia. I filed an inquiry with the Post Office on Friday, but I have yet to hear anything other than the cursory "we have received your request" email.

As I have found out from yesterday and today, it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to get someone at the Post Office to whom you can speak. I really have no interest in driving to Philadelphia to try to rectify this matter, as the package contained approximately $80 worth of comics.

I have a buyer on Ebay that has been patient, but sooner or later, he will want a refund. Is there any recourse that I can pursue to help this situation? I know that one excuse will be used, "Shipping and handling have been delayed to the COVID-19 virus." Ya-da-ya-da-ya-da. I'm in my 60s, and I've gone back to work. My mail carrier may be around people early in the morning when sorting the mail for her route, but after that, she doesn't have any real interactions with people. In fact, at my local Post Office, the two people who work out front don't even wear masks. And yes, I wear my mask any time I enter a building.

I imagine that some of you are thinking, "Why is he making such a big deal over $80?" It's not so much the money (I don't want to lose $30 above the $50 insurance provided), but now it's the principle of the thing.

As I see it, I'm going to end up with several options. First, the package is found and delivered to the correct address (highly unlikely). Second, the package is found and returned to me (also highly unlikely). Third, I file a claim for this lost package, receive $50, and refund the buyer $80 plus the shipping cost. I understand that mistakes happen, but what I don't understand is how I really have no chance to speak to someone who can help me with my issue. For the love of criminey, I can speak to people at Amazon, at Ebay, at PayPal, etc. Why is the Post Office the one entity that will not provide customer service?

I know that no one here will be able to solve my problem. In honesty, it just felt good to vent.

12 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

...The third package (9405509205568710620833) was apparently delivered to the wrong address on July 11, 2020. When I go to the tracking page, I see Alert, with the following message: "Your item was forwarded to a different address at 4:13 pm on July 11, 2020 in PHILADELPHIA, PA. This was because of forwarding instructions or because the address or ZIP Code on the label was incorrect...

If all of your ducks are in a row, it seems like it's just being forwarded to another address at the instruction of the customer.

If I go on vacation, I can instruct my landlord or USPS to forward to a family/friend address.

One of my CGC shipments (roughly $1100 in value tier comics) was mailed from CGC to my home address on June 16th via registered mail. One June 17th the USPS tracking update reported it was sent out from the USPS office in Tampa, FL. There were no other updates from June 17th to July 14th. Previous CGC shipments took roughly 4-6 business days to get from CGC to my house.

On July 14th I filed a lost package claim and within 48 hours the post office "found it" and it started moving again through the system. My claim did not report what happened to the box and I may never find out what happened to it but it is moving through the system and I hope to receive it next week.

The bottom line is it seems all USPS shipments are delayed due to COVID and other factors. If your package is not where it is suppose to be and you arent getting the updates you want you should file a lost package claim. When I filed mine it seems to have lit a fire and my issue got the attention it deserved.

I only hope that my package isn't damaged and the slabs arent cracked...

On 7/22/2020 at 11:07 AM, PickleRick1216 said:

I filed a lost package claim and within 48 hours the post office "found it" and it started moving again through the system. My claim did not report what happened to the box and I may never find out what happened

A package was sent out to me on May 29th. On June 27th, I filed a lost package claim. The next day it was moving.again.

8 hours ago, rumrunner71 said:

It's not just COVID related from what I've seen with news about the post office. The USPS is a mess right now. I've had better luck with other shipments coming from UPS and FedEx

Good luck with this.

FedEx just royally screwed up a delivery yesterday. I'm pissed.

40 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

FedEx just royally screwed up a delivery yesterday. I'm pissed.

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Seems there's no good options for avoiding these issues with shipping. I hope that buyers are understanding this. There's not much a seller can do once the shipper takes a package.

I've been waiting on a package from Russia since April 24th. Seller had said to look for it the first week in June. The last tracking had been May7th, in St. Petersburg. 

Yesterday it scanned in NY.  From talking to a few of his regular buyers, delivery from Russia is taking 100 days or more, up from 40.

In the future, Joe, if you want to be able to potentially solve a problem rather than just vent, FedEx is the way to go.  There may be issues, but at the very least you can speak to a reasonable human about it and even escalate an issue up the chain if you're not happy with how things are going.

I have a package that I shipped on 6/24, buyer hits me up 7/11 or something saying package hasn't arrived-was supposed to be there on 6/29 as it was just going from me in Orlando to somewhere in GA.  I file my claim, case is opened, someone calls me a day later I miss call, call back next day she is not available.  Later that evening the tracking on eBay says case closed!  I wasn't apprised of anything.  No tracking updated or explanation of where package is. Then the buyer does a solid and goes to his local PO where the package would go, and ironically speaks to the lady who was assigned to my case.  She says the USPS has implemented some "new strategies" to minimize how many stops/hubs a package goes through to get delivered, and there are a bunch of packages sitting in a shipping container somewhere in a black hole which the package is probably in.  Say what?!?  She says the new plan has employees scratching their heads trying to figure out what to do.  Ummmm, scan the fng packages and get them to their destination, maybe!  Anyhow, I just had to refund the buyer as the window was closing for him to do so.  I then opened a new case, this time calling the 800 number and putting in a request for a call back.  I get the call back 2 hours later, explain all this to a rep, and she opens a new case.  This was yesterday and no new info.  I'm out almost $30 and the books is floating around somewhere getting ruined or stolen, or both...FML

So, I feel for everyone's pain lol

18 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

In the future, Joe, if you want to be able to potentially solve a problem rather than just vent, FedEx is the way to go.  There may be issues, but at the very least you can speak to a reasonable human about it and even escalate an issue up the chain if you're not happy with how things are going.

@Dr. Love, here's the problem with this suggestion. I am selling books like Marvel Masterworks, DC Archives, Marvel Essentials, and DC Showcases. If I send these using Media Mail, the shipping cost is either $3.33 or $3.86. Using FedEx's rate calculator, the same book would cost $14+ to ship using FedEx. Buyers are perfectly fine with paying approximately $4 for shipping; if I started charging $14+ for shipping, I would never sell anything. Some of the books I sell are for less than $15. If I was to provide free shipping (which I do on occasion, especially on expensive books), my net gain would be less than $1. If all I am going to make for my time and effort is less than $1, then I'll just throw them into our burn barrel and burn them.

The second of my three deliveries from Russia showed up yesterday. According to tracking, it was scanned May 1st in Russia and no further data is available.

These products cost $9.00 landed or I can buy them from the exclusive North American distributor in  New Jersey and pay $17 plus shipping.

In the war to produce the finest toy soldiers, Russia has won , hands down.

Whats funny is the packaging in Russian says these toys are intended for boys ages 5-9, with an after production sticker in English saying- this is not a toy and is intended only for adult collectors.

To the OP, your shipping cost will make or break your business. Study what your competitors offer and what the big boys do. Steve Geppi and Mile High Chuck owe much of their success to understanding logistics.