• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in PGM FF49
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I've had this in my collection for close to 20 years.  I bought it with #48 as my first big comic purchase when I was 18 or so.  It's still my all time favourite Kirby cover! 

Everything is firmly attached and there is no rust at the staples.  The most significant issues is the loss of color over "ant" in fantastic.

On the BC there is some type of moisture stain at the bottom right spine. 

20200725_103537.jpg

20200725_103541.jpg

20200725_103544.jpg

20200725_103549.jpg

20200725_103600.jpg

20200725_103611.jpg

20200725_103615.jpg

Edited by KCOComics

This book does look like it has moisture damage, and it's not just the stain on the back cover. I suspect the color loss on the front cover could be moisture related as well. And if not rusty, the staples appear to be discolored, which often happens when a book is exposed to moisture. Does the moisture damage on the back cover run through the entire book?  

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

This book does look like it has moisture damage, and it's not just the stain on the back cover. I suspect the color loss on the front cover could be moisture related as well. And if not rusty, the staples appear to be discolored, which often happens when a book is exposed to moisture. Does the moisture damage on the back cover run through the entire book?  

Yikes!

Not that I noticed,  but truthfully I didn't look for it! I probably should have. 

How do you think that will effect the grade?

21 minutes ago, oldrover said:

CGC hammers water stains. You're probably looking VG range. 

I'm hoping it comes back in the F- range. If not,  I'm ok with that. My 48 is a 5.5 and my 50 is a 5.0.  

Like I said,  I bought this many years ago before I knew much about grading. I was just happy to get the book. 

Appreciate everyone's feedback. 

3 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Yikes!

Not that I noticed,  but truthfully I didn't look for it! I probably should have. 

How do you think that will effect the grade?

It nearly always affects the grade when a flaw runs through the book instead of just being confined to the cover...

49 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I'm hoping it comes back in the F- range. If not,  I'm ok with that. My 48 is a 5.5 and my 50 is a 5.0.  

Like I said,  I bought this many years ago before I knew much about grading. I was just happy to get the book. 

Appreciate everyone's feedback. 

If it comes back at a 4.5, which I think is possible, it's still a $1000+ book.

^^

1 hour ago, SkintDoctor said:

All these professional graders on here, you think one grade would have been close! 

I felt pretty good about it grading in the F range. But I had the benefit of having the book in hand. 

I think the boardies had valid concerns and the book was probably discounted a bit for the moisture issue.