Paintings and Line Work- Show Off Your Original Pulp Art
1 1

80 posts in this topic

There will be several rare Clark Ashton Smith items in the Saturday night auction (May 7, 2022) at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, Illinois). In addition to rare books -- many signed by CAS -- and correspondence from him, is this piece of original art. We'll be posting photos of the auction material sometime in April.

sn0104.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While not technically pulp art (interior illustrations from men's adventure mags), these two pieces I picked up are pretty impressive in person.  Vic Prezio is one of my favorites of this genre.  I particularly like his delineation of trees and tree trunks.

Cross posting from the Men's Adventure mag thread.

1019203999_Prezio_AllMan_Interior_01.thumb.jpg.ba8366fbe4b77a13e312d2d2b995276c.jpg

346830215_Prezio_AllMan_Interior_02.thumb.jpg.95952ec34feeccb2ecde989552d2e57b.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2022 at 5:30 PM, Randall Dowling said:

While not technically pulp art (interior illustrations from men's adventure mags), these two pieces I picked up are pretty impressive in person.  Vic Prezio is one of my favorites of this genre.  I particularly like his delineation of trees and tree trunks.

Cross posting from the Men's Adventure mag thread.

1019203999_Prezio_AllMan_Interior_01.thumb.jpg.ba8366fbe4b77a13e312d2d2b995276c.jpg

346830215_Prezio_AllMan_Interior_02.thumb.jpg.95952ec34feeccb2ecde989552d2e57b.jpg

I remember narrowly losing out on a piece of his on Ebay. Regret not paying more. Exquisite detail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For fans of the great Virgil Finlay, my latest art sale catalog is now available. This one is devoted entirely to the art of Finlay, with over 50 originals. Note that none of these are published pieces, but instead are personal pieces (including abstracts) and a few prelims. None of this material has been at any convention, nor has it been in any prior catalog. This material all comes from Finlay's estate, and I'm selling it on behalf of his granddaughter.
 
And if you like Finlay art, I'll have a few hundred other, similar pieces for sale at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown center) that has not been shown in any catalog either.
 
You can download the catalog (about 30 MB) through wetransfer at the link below for the next 7 days:
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/13/2022 at 4:46 AM, Pulpvault said:

There will be several rare Clark Ashton Smith items in the Saturday night auction (May 7, 2022) at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, Illinois). In addition to rare books -- many signed by CAS -- and correspondence from him, is this piece of original art. We'll be posting photos of the auction material sometime in April.

sn0104.jpg

Oh, I remember when I found this in Glenn Lord's collection!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/1/2022 at 10:25 AM, RedFury said:

New arrival, Frank Utpatel's eerie original art for Deep Waters by William Hope Hodgson (Arkham House, 1967).  I absolutely love this one!

zIVWslYh.jpg

Beautiful! From the last HA, right?

I am going to kick myself forever for not ponying up for Ray Johnson's "Maharajah" paperback painting but you can't buy them all :frown:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/2/2022 at 10:01 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Beautiful! From the last HA, right?

I am going to kick myself forever for not ponying up for Ray Johnson's "Maharajah" paperback painting but you can't buy them all :frown:

Thanks!  Yes, from Heritage.

I just took a look at Maharajah, and yeah, that's really nice.  Sorry you missed it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1