• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ENOCH BOLLES ....and other fine Pin-Up art
3 3

142 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

That one's a curiosity, dicky.  It's a great painting, but there's some things that are really odd about it. One thing that stands out immediately is the weird red shadow or blanket under the girl with the flowers that just pop up on top of it. 

There's a couple at the very end of the Breezy run that were possibly created from leftover prints and materials on hand when the building that C.H. Young (the original publisher of Breezy and before that Young's Magazine who died back in 1930) had bought was being sold in 1949 for a real estate cash-in by Phil Painter who had run the company since Young's death (and ably kept Breezy afloat by converting it to a magazine sold in grocery stores with a reduced price point and more modern printing methods).  From some point in like '38 on all the Breezy covers are reprints (and most of the fiction as well), some paintings being used 2 or 3 times (you can tell by all the white boxes on the covers). 

On this one if you get up real close, you can see some funky production details - it's not a cohesive painting, there's some exacto work involved:

Screenshot(231).png.2e0cef2f3f75478c023f59dafbde4c2c.png

Screenshot(232).png.8b3f5afecb3f98f72b4e250853b7f02c.png

I don't own this issue, but the contents page calls it "a new Bolles girl" and gives a sort of shout out to Bolles, the first time I think this had happened in a Breezy, very strange.  Notably the magazine folded very shortly thereafter, too.

BreezyStories1949-12v57n08contents.jpg.1e10d49d41b5f8f9f5c49eb224645d87.jpg

The reason for Bolles departure from Breezy was his institutionalization at Greystone Psychiatric Hospital in New Jersey.  He did do some work from there (new Film Funs appeared into the early 40s) but the magazines were likely using any stock of paintings they had on hand as well, and there's likelihood that the art editor at Breezy could have played a part in placing the flowers around the figure.  It is possible that Painter had some sort of ongoing relationship with Enoch during his institutionalization (which lasted all the way to 1969) and that this was indeed a new Bolles girl (even if the painting had been altered for the magazine cover).

The other odd painting from earlier that year is this one which I think is the only other Breezy after 38 that isn't a reprint:

BreezyStories1949-03coverBolles(MCS)CROP.thumb.jpg.7504352b2ce61746a54d466ef4b57963.jpg

Edited by Darwination

Posted (edited)

Also interesting on both of these covers is the complete lack of type besides the title.  It makes for a great cover and may indeed be to showcase the art.  But different than any other issues of the magazine (and there are a couple of others in the last handful of issues that are as nearly minimalist as well tho using reprinted paintings).

The building that Painter sold in 1949 is now part of the NYU campus.

Edited by Darwination

On 5/15/2024 at 10:15 PM, Darwination said:

Also interesting on both of these covers is the complete lack of type besides the title.  It makes for a great cover and may indeed be to showcase the art.  But different than any other issues of the magazine (and there are a couple of others in the last handful of issues that are as nearly minimalist as well tho using reprinted paintings).

The building that Painter sold in 1949 is now part of the NYU campus.

Wow, I can see what your talking about on the close-up pictures you sent, never noticed this before.  Very Interesting.... Love this post!!!

Posted (edited)

Love em both, the top ones got the red dot he liked to use sometimes, but the bottom one's going all out for inventiveness.

I worked with this image tonight, have seen various copies of the issue but haven't found the right one for me yet.  The only one he did for the Harrison mags?  Defo late in his magazine career where he was trying some new things:

Titter November 1943 cover Enoch Bolles (MCS Darwin Edit)

My pal Jack Raglin at his Bolles Blog supposed this was a repurposed Film Fun and maybe the last magazine cover he ever did:

https://enochbolles.blogspot.com/2019/01/one-off-part-seven.html

Edited by Darwination

On 5/19/2024 at 1:52 AM, Darwination said:

Love em both, the top ones got the red dot he liked to use sometimes, but the bottom one's going all out for inventiveness.

I worked with this image tonight, have seen various copies of the issue but haven't found the right one for me yet.  The only one he did for the Harrison mags?  Defo late in his magazine career where he was trying some new things:

Titter November 1943 cover Enoch Bolles (MCS Darwin Edit)

My pal Jack Raglin at his Bolles Blog supposed this was a repurposed Film Fun and maybe the last magazine cover he ever did:

https://enochbolles.blogspot.com/2019/01/one-off-part-seven.html

I love that cover!!!!  Another AMAZING JOB!!!  WOW, you do wonderful work!!  Very Nice!!