• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ENOCH BOLLES ....and other fine Pin-Up art
3 3

108 posts in this topic

WOW! Great finish on this one. When i acquired my copy i almost passed on it as it isn't a 'solo' girliy style cover. The guy sort of 'crowded' the portrait in my mind, and the girl isn't out there 'Va va voom".

But it being a black cover, and a standout for the the very reasons that almost detracted me from buying it, i did buy it. Glad i did :bigsmile:

ebay.com/itm/Hi-Grade-Spicy-Pulp-Magazine-Enoch-Bolles-Pin-up-Cover-Breezy-Stories-Jan-1936/293660071816?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

On 9/25/2020 at 6:25 AM, jimjum12 said:

Here's another cool one... though probably not Bolles. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

PULP MOVIE TIME.jpeg

I was just thinking that some of these look like early Peter Driben work (I'm sure most of you already know his work better than I do).  Though his work would later become exceptionally refined, earlier in his career, he seems to have been a very good mimic for other artists in terms of style.  Here are a couple of his covers (not mine, taken from internet).

Silk-Stocking-Stories-December-1938.thumb.jpg.97923faf5fdd2f3ddda9f1de7e089da7.jpg

High-Heel-Magazine-November-1938.thumb.jpg.180ce97c34cc6478f9fda67803f754ad.jpg

On 8/25/2020 at 10:52 AM, sagii said:

Didn't know this one was Boles, but i saw it listed as such on a site showcasing some of Bolles' paintings and cover images. Spine area has some issues, but can't be too picky 

Bedtime Stories v6 #12 (Winter, 1938).jpg

This one is actually by Earle Bergey, rather than Bolles.  I owned the original painting for a few years, until I let it go in a trade.