• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*DELETED*

21 posts in this topic

Is this just coinicdence? 893whatthe.gif

No, CGC obviously has it in for you and the bribes that your LCS has been sending down to Sarasota have paid off.

You might want to take this to the grading forum since, in effect, you want people to grade your books.

The 6.5 seems a little high. I'd be hesitant to give a Fine+ to a book with that much creasage unless maybe the rest of it was absolutely perfect. the 5.0 seems about right.

i agree with you, either the 6.5 is a little high or the 5.0 is a little low. point being that they do not appear to be 1.5 grade apart. so the purpose of this thread was more to see if you guys thought that the grading standards were different based on the submitter, and less so about grading the comics that have been graded.

i point being that they do not appear to be 1.5 grade apart.

They do to me, even though, upon further inspection I feel like they both might be overgraded. That 5.0 has a chopped up spine, including what looks like a book length reader's crease. I wouldn't let that out of VG. The 6.5 has some spine stress and a pretty big corner crease, if the rest of it is nice, that looks ballpark to me although I wouldn't go + unless the rest of it was PERFECT.

so the purpose of this thread was more to see if you guys thought that the grading standards were different based on the submitter, and less so about grading the comics that have been graded.

I already answered that. CGC has it in for you and your LCS' bribes have taken hold. That's what you want to hear/ say, isn't it? I know the CGC forums method is to "read between the lines," but you could start a trend and try the active approach and just come right out and say what it is that you're thinking.

i point being that they do not appear to be 1.5 grade apart.

They do to me, even though, upon further inspection I feel like they both might be overgraded. That 5.0 has a chopped up spine, including what looks like a book length reader's crease. I wouldn't let that out of VG. The 6.5 has some spine stress and a pretty big corner crease, if the rest of it is nice, that looks ballpark to me although I wouldn't go + unless the rest of it was PERFECT.

so the purpose of this thread was more to see if you guys thought that the grading standards were different based on the submitter, and less so about grading the comics that have been graded.

I already answered that. CGC has it in for you and your LCS' bribes have taken hold. That's what you want to hear/ say, isn't it? I know the CGC forums method is to "read between the lines," but you could start a trend and try the active approach and just come right out and say what it is that you're thinking.

Take it easy on the guy, Rob. poke2.gif It's a fair question. I've gotten the shaft on some books that I've submitted personally, while I've gotten some nicer grades on books that I submitted through Heritage. I haven't done enough of them to feel comfortable saying that the books I submitted myself were graded more or less harshly just because I submitted them, but it is an interesting question.

Take it easy on the guy, Rob. poke2.gif It's a fair question. I've gotten the shaft on some books that I've submitted personally, while I've gotten some nicer grades on books that I submitted through Heritage. I haven't done enough of them to feel comfortable saying that the books I submitted myself were graded more or less harshly just because I submitted them, but it is an interesting question.

It is a fair question.

That said, it looks to me like he's already got his mind made up and it would be refreshing for someone here to call a spade a spade and actually air their conspiracy theories explicitly.

"I think CGC give preferential grades each and every time to their larger submitters. Not only that, they actually PUNISH me when I submit through my Collector's Society account. Here's my meager evidence."

Is that so tough?

To actually answer the question, I've had both good and bad results submitting myself and through heritage/whoever (I used several 15%s before Heritage came along with the 20%.)

It is a fair question.

That said, it looks to me like he's already got his mind made up and it would be refreshing for someone here to call a spade a spade and actually air their conspiracy theories explicitly.

"I think CGC give preferential grades each and every time to their larger submitters. Not only that, they actually PUNISH me when I submit through my Collector's Society account. Here's my meager evidence."

Is that so tough?

I dunno, I just reread the guy's initial post and it doesn't seem so thinly veiled or hard to figure out to me. confused-smiley-013.gif Just cause he didn't go on a rant doesn't mean the message isn't explicit, right?

It is a fair question.

Is that so tough?

I dunno, I just reread the guy's initial post and it doesn't seem so thinly veiled or hard to figure out to me. confused-smiley-013.gif Just cause he didn't go on a rant doesn't mean the message isn't explicit, right?

True, it's not hard to figure out. It's also couched in that special way that everything is "fair" and is "only his observation" so that the really crooked thing he's accusing CGC of doing doesn't seem so crooked coming out of HIS mouth. Any crookedness we bring to the table is in our dirty little minds.

It's not really this specific post that bugs me so much, it's just that approach that drives me nuts.

i've never submitted, just bought slabs, what advantage is there to sending it in yourself rather than getting a discount through heritage or a participating store/submitter? I know this has been asked, perhaps by me, sorry.

There is no advantage to submitting yourself and not getting the discount. It's just wasting money.

You know what, if it's broadcast throughout the industry that say, Metro for example, just bought an incredibly high grade run of pre-Batman Detectives that will be available for sale once they come back from CGC, then yes, the graders at CGC probably know who's books they're grading.

But for two mid-grade Hulk 181s? I can't imagine they know, or could care less.

There is no advantage to submitting yourself and not getting the discount. It's just wasting money.

You know what, if it's broadcast throughout the industry that say, Metro for example, just bought an incredibly high grade run of pre-Batman Detectives that will be available for sale once they come back from CGC, then yes, the graders at CGC probably know who's books they're grading.

I agree that their degree of care is limited only to maintaining the integrity of the spectrum of grades for this book in particular. They have seen so many of them, I would bet that the grades are very accurate, although at first blush, that 6.5 looks a little generous. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

We all know what the "CGC initiation rights" feel like. My guess is that he is just experiencing what we all felt after our first 10 or 20 subs. Only then, Grasshopper, can you truly appreciate the zen that is required in determining which books to submit.

At grades of 5.0 and 6.5, I doubt the submitter did anything more than just confirm that the MVS was intact, if that 27_laughing.gif

Well Put!

Davidking623

I dont think it matters where the books came from! I think CGC did like they always do carefully examined the books and gave them there perspective grades! They are a third party grading service and the grades they gave these 2 books would in no way affect the money they would recieve as this is what we pay them for when submitting,There experience grading Comics and with the book coming back sealed with the number on it!

Davidking623

I recently submitted 2 copies of Hulk #181 for grading. One was submitted to CGC directly by me and the other one was submitted to CGC through my local comic store who is listed as a CGC internet partner. I found that the comic I submitted directly myself was graded more harshly. frustrated.gif

I am not accusing CGC of being unfair. This is my obersvation ONLY and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. confused.gif

I should also state that this is not just one grading instance. In total I have submitted 7 comics to CGC directly myself and in every instance, the comic came back lower than I expected. On the other hand, I have submitted 5 copies to CGC through my comic store and in every instance, the comic came back as I expected. Is this just coinicdence? 893whatthe.gif

Here's a pic of the 2 comics. To be fair, I won't say which is which. You be the judge if one was undergraded.

hulk181frnt50.jpg

hulk181frnt65.jpg