• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Else Notice A Major Slowdown in the Mail?
4 4

163 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I have a buddy who's a mail carrier and he says it's a complete joke what's happening internally.  None of the reorg changes make any sense given the current volume and his view was "if you were trying to gum up the works, I can't imagine a more effective way to do it".

Posted this in the paperback thread in the Gold forum but I'll say it again here.  I ordered a book for my brother who lives in LA.  It was sent out from Culver City (approximately 5 miles from my brother's place) and I even paid extra for overnight delivery.

It took 8 days to finally get there last week.  Unbelievable.

For some weird reason, cross town mail in LA is VERY slow. 

My mail guy is VERY good and friendly. Always rings the doorbell and stashes my packages behind a potted plant. 

He is also very upset and worried about the recent going ons in the PO. He has been told to slow down and not to finish his route if he isn’t done and his shift is over. He also says there are a LOT of people calling in sick in the past few weeks. 

Hard to believe that this is being allowed to happen especially right now. 

On 7/31/2020 at 6:11 PM, bronze_rules said:

The new postmaster has recently implemented mandates to deliberately slow down mail, in oder to ‘save money.’ Trying to avoid politics, but if you are voting by mail, make darn sure to do it earlier than later.

https://fortune.com/2020/07/24/usps-mail-delivery-postmaster-general-louis-dejoy-us-postal-service/

https://www.newsandguts.com/postal-service-experiencing-backlogs-under-trump-appointee/

This one end well for them. They think postal employees don't vote?

I am seeing mail slow down as well and some days I don't get mail. 
So I pack my books even tighter now when I ship just for that reason.

Edited by fastballspecial

All right USPS experts, I shipped a Flat Rate Priority box of 30 comics which has been stale since 7/27. I am about to file a claim to recoup some of my costs via insurance.

Considering these were comics purchased over the course of years, what do I do for this step (via https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm#) in order to get paid? (Not to mention they have no idea what is in the box to begin with, so not sure how, if I magically come up with 30 receipts, they know that is what is in there.)

Proof of Value

Proof of value is the cost or value of an item when it was mailed. Any of these can be used to show proof of value:

• Sales receipt
  • Paid invoice or paid bill of sale
  • Statement of value and/or estimates of repair costs from a reputable dealer
  • Credit card billing statement
  • Receipt of costs incurred for reconstruction of non-negotiable documents
  • Printouts of the online transaction identifying the purchaser and seller, price paid, date of transaction, description of item purchased, and assurance that the transaction status is completed

I'm no expert in dealing with USPS claims but their proof of value request doesn't appear to be related to what you paid (based solely on what you posted). I think I've seen others post in the past that it does but the excerpt shared only appears to be asking for "proof" using documentation related to your sale.

Edited by bababooey

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

I'm no expert in dealing with USPS claims but their proof of value request doesn't appear to be related to what you paid (based solely on what you posted). I think I've seen others post in the past that it does but the excerpt shared only appears to be asking for "proof" using documentation related to your sale.

I didn’t include this info in my post: I did not ship comics I sold. I shipped my own comics to get pressed. 

Edited by manetteska

I sent a book out I sold on Fee- Bay July 22nd from NY to FL , by the 26th it disappeared off tracking . On the 30th it popped up with the dreaded “ in transit , arriving late “ . Luckily I was in contact with the buyer throughout the process and I was able to stay on top of it . I opened multiple cases within the USPS system and even attempted to track down local postmasters. The responses were less than helpful and it’s probably easier collecting all infinity stones. I requested email / text updates on the package and then nothing but radio silence .I got a confusing update on the 10th saying it was lost , Then right after an email stating it was already IN Florida and going to its next destination . It ultimately arrived on the 13th but it was nerve wracking . It wasn’t a cheap book but since  I’ve been burned before regarding insurances on mail I didn’t get additional insurance . This is the first lost package fiasco I’ve experienced and am wondering if it’s a sign of things to come .

6 hours ago, manetteska said:

All right USPS experts, I shipped a Flat Rate Priority box of 30 comics which has been stale since 7/27. I am about to file a claim to recoup some of my costs via insurance.

Considering these were comics purchased over the course of years, what do I do for this step (via https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm#) in order to get paid? (Not to mention they have no idea what is in the box to begin with, so not sure how, if I magically come up with 30 receipts, they know that is what is in there.)

Proof of Value

Proof of value is the cost or value of an item when it was mailed. Any of these can be used to show proof of value:

• Sales receipt
  • Paid invoice or paid bill of sale
  • Statement of value and/or estimates of repair costs from a reputable dealer
  • Credit card billing statement
  • Receipt of costs incurred for reconstruction of non-negotiable documents
  • Printouts of the online transaction identifying the purchaser and seller, price paid, date of transaction, description of item purchased, and assurance that the transaction status is completed

If I were you, I wouldn't file a claim yet. I would, however , file a Help Request Form to give them a little nudge, I've done this a couple if times when my packages have been idle for a couple of weeks and they always start moving again the next day.

Remember, with the pandemic, combined with all the (new procedures) the USPS is going thru, things tend to get super slow. Patience is a necessity.

4 hours ago, Gaard said:

If I were you, I wouldn't file a claim yet. I would, however , file a Help Request Form to give them a little nudge, I've done this a couple if times when my packages have been idle for a couple of weeks and they always start moving again the next day.

Remember, with the pandemic, combined with all the (new procedures) the USPS is going thru, things tend to get super slow. Patience is a necessity.

Yep: I did open some type of request and nada. Last night I opened yet another type of request (I don’t know the exact difference for the two as they both are for missing/lost mail).

I understand the USPS worker and overtime shortage; I know packages and mail will take longer. I don’t understand how not having overtime completely loses/misplaces a package for weeks. 

Well, while I'd witnessed the slow down as a buyer, I am now feeling the pressure as a seller. I have a buyer who paid for some figures on 8/5, I shippped them on 8/6. Tracking shows they sat until 8/10, which was the last time they were scanned. They show, of course, "arriving late" and still "in transit". I think most of us have seen this several times lately. As a buyer I understood the slowdown, and what usually happened was that there was no forward progress, and then suddenly one day the item just magically arrived, about two to three weeks late.

But my buyer is nervous and wants me to file a claim. As I explained to him, this is a nationwide issue, I've experienced, tons of people are experiencing a slowdown, and as long as the package still shows "in transit", we should be good. But he wants me to file a claim. Whaddya think?

12 hours ago, William-James88 said:

If anyone cares, mailing from Canada to the US using priority mailing has been fine. It only took a week for my books to reach CGC.

My XPressPost parcel sent to MCS in late July has been in USPS limbo for more than two weeks now...

The last two packages sent to me via usps have arrived a full day early, and no they weren't scheduled for delivery later than usual in the first place.  I've noticed mail arriving more quickly in general ever since the lockdowns started. I'm in Manhattan and have no idea if that matters at all.

43 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Well, while I'd witnessed the slow down as a buyer, I am now feeling the pressure as a seller. I have a buyer who paid for some figures on 8/5, I shippped them on 8/6. Tracking shows they sat until 8/10, which was the last time they were scanned. They show, of course, "arriving late" and still "in transit". I think most of us have seen this several times lately. As a buyer I understood the slowdown, and what usually happened was that there was no forward progress, and then suddenly one day the item just magically arrived, about two to three weeks late.

But my buyer is nervous and wants me to file a claim. As I explained to him, this is a nationwide issue, I've experienced, tons of people are experiencing a slowdown, and as long as the package still shows "in transit", we should be good. But he wants me to file a claim. Whaddya think?

Tell him to hold his horse that ain't no delay!

:news:

U.S. Postal Service puts changes on hold after mail-in voting outcry

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-post-office/u-s-postal-service-puts-changes-on-hold-after-mail-in-voting-outcry-idUSKCN25E1Q2

Full statement:

WASHINGTON, DC — Postmaster General Louis DeJoy issued the following statement today:

"The United States Postal Service will play a critical role this year in delivering election mail for millions of voters across the country. There has been a lot of discussion recently about whether the Postal Service is ready, willing and able to meet this challenge.

I want to make a few things clear:

The Postal Service is ready today to handle whatever volume of election mail it receives this fall. Even with the challenges of keeping our employees and customers safe and healthy as they operate amid a pandemic, we will deliver the nation's election mail on time and within our well-established service standards. The American public should know that this is our number one priority between now and election day. The 630,000 dedicated women and men of the Postal Service are committed, ready and proud to meet this sacred duty.

I am announcing today the expansion of our current leadership taskforce on election mail to enhance our ongoing work and partnership with state and local election officials in jurisdictions throughout the country. Leaders of our postal unions and management associations have committed to joining this taskforce to ensure strong coordination throughout our organization. Because of the unprecedented demands of the 2020 election, this taskforce will help ensure that election officials and voters are well informed and fully supported by the Postal Service.
I want to assure all Americans of the following:

• Retail hours at Post Offices will not change.

• Mail processing equipment and blue collection boxes will remain where they are.

• No mail processing facilities will be dosed.

• And we reassert that overtime has, and will continue to be, approved as needed.

Edited by vheflin
more info, man

Don't believe service is anywhere near normal until you see that it is.  Which shouldn't be expected for at least 3 months.

I'm auctioning off a batch of 97 comic books in September, and I'm driving 3 hours each way to hand deliver the books to the auction house and avoid using the mail.

Edited by namisgr

3 hours ago, vheflin said:

Tell him to hold his horse that ain't no delay!

Well, that's what I told him. I cited the fact that the tracking number from USPS specifically states "item is arriving later than expected, but is still on its way", which should be all he needs to hear. But he keeps repeating that he's received OTHER packages in that time frame, so somehow this is my fault. He went ahead and opened a claim against me, claiming "something is definitely wrong." I told him if opening a claim made him feel better, go right ahead, but it's not going to help anything. I DID open a "Help Request" with USPS, but as I explained to the buyer, I can't file a "missing package" claim until 15 days have elapsed, and we're not even at that point. Oh well. I'm not going to eat this sale just because he's impatient. 

8 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

USPS has been delivering vastly quicker over the last week compared to the past few months.

Yes, I agree with First Class mail- its been somewhat back to normal. Not sure about Priority though. Earlier this month I had a Priority mail take a 11-day tour of several USPS hubs before reaching its destination. Stupid me, the item qualified for First Class mail but was suckered into thinking the 3-day Priority guarantee was in effect.

1 hour ago, Comic Consortium said:

I've noticed media mail is a full week delay to the east coast. 

Priority is on time.

International mail has been two weeks behind (8 business days)

Good to hear about Priority. I use that for sending books to CGC. Otherwise, it would've just added to the stress of books potentially getting lost and/or adding more days to the turnaround times.