• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Contest!! Starts 7-31-21. See Page 5 for Details- Prizes are free CGC grading for the winners. All boardies in good standing can enter!
4 4

196 posts in this topic

My fun entry is Zorro because well it’s zorro duh lol 

for your wife reading all I have to say is Antonio Banderas and mask of zorro movie lol 

who doesn’t love a sword wielding masked “cow” boy terrorizing the wardrobe of people by carving a “Z” in their clothes lol

also he rescues damsels in distress.. with no super power!!!! Like who does that anymore min. you need is like super strength or some fancy suit and gadgets; dude had a sword and a whip… 

* note this is not a real entry just wanted to make a funny post enjoy

44AC6152-78FF-45F4-9331-4E3206C32358.jpeg

On 8/10/2021 at 1:52 PM, Qalyar said:

Oooh, a contest based on collecting stuff no one else cares about? Right up my alley.

Labyrinth and Dark Crystal are great films, and aren't unpopular at all. On the other hand, their comic book adaptations... What's that, you say? The original Labyrinth comic adaptation, Marvel Super Special #40, is a fairly interesting book that (like most of the Super Specials) can be tough at high grades? Well, that's true. But this isn't about Marvel Super Special #40. It's also not about the three-issue Labyrinth mini-series, either in direct market or newsstand. It's not even about any of Boom!'s Labyrinth spinoffs, although they've got plenty of convention covers and obscure promotional pieces that might qualify.

No, my entry in this contest is... this:

74204794_Flipbook1.thumb.jpg.5216f5b477a67006565c6a48692cdf83.jpg

The sane first response is to ask what is that thing? So, Tokypop -- the manga publisher -- got the rights to do a manga-format spinoff of both Dark Crystal and Labyrinth, titled Legends of the Dark Crystal and Return to Labyrinth, respectively. Those are big, chonky manga books that can't be slabbed due to size. About the same time, Sony Pictures decided to release a three DVD box set, including those two films plus Mirrormask. It was a match made in marketing. Tokypop published this stiff cardboard cover preview flipbook -- from one side, an excerpt from their upcoming Legends of the Dark Crystal manga, and from the other side, a similar excerpt from Return to Labyrinth. Sony slipped the books into the box set's slipcase, and tacked a hastily-printed note to the back of the box saying that it included an exclusive preview comic. Presto -- a collectible, of a sort, is born.

This is deep in obscurity. The other books presented so far? Batman #209? 117 slabbed copies. Resurrection Man #1? 17 slabs, not counting the second printing. Western Crime Cases #4 -- okay, I'll give you that's a pretty unloved book right there -- still has four. This baby? Not on the census at all!

But I'm willing to concede that slab count (and total lack of market value...) may not be enough to push this advertising promo of a manga spinoff of a movie into the winner's circle. There's another reason I think it deserves its turn in encapsulation: its brother is lonely.

You see, early the following year, Sony decided to release a second batch of that 3 disc DVD box set. But in the interim, the first volume of the Legends of the Dark Crystal manga had actually released, so the preview flipbook wasn't technically a preview anymore. As a result, when Sony asked Tokyopop for another round of flipbooks, they hastily prepared a second version, with the excerpt of Legends of the Dark Crystal swapped out for an excerpt of Legends of the Dark Crystal volume 2! The two have very different cover designs, but are indistinguishable when viewed edge-on (like in sealed box sets). What does any of that have to do with this contest? Well...

1590765352_Flipbook2.thumb.jpg.05f63d3f72d892694374d9318522b9c3.jpg

I already have the second one slabbed.

You can probably count on your elbows the number of people in the world who care about these weird, obscure, promotional books. For what it's worth, they are quite hard to find, and survival rates from DVD set purchasers are approximately nil. MCS has only ever seen one copy of the first one, and zero of the second. But don't just think of this book for its rarity, its obscurity, its total lack of market value, or the lack of interest pretty much anyone has for movie spinoff spinoff promotionals. Think of this as your opportunity to help two long-separated relatives find happiness together in my slabbed collection of Labyrinth comics (and eventually this Registry set).

This is good. This is VERY good! I'm almost even embarrassed for you... almost.

On 8/10/2021 at 7:23 PM, mytastebud said:

Thank you for doing this and considering my book by Silver Wolf Comics Grips 1. In 1986 when this book was released I was fairly new to comic books. I was a Sophomore in a private all boy's high school (La Salle) worked as a waiter part time (Marie Calendars) and had the responsibility of carting my younger sister around in my FIAT spider. I was busy but I was also crazy about Wolverine X-Men and Batman. Didn't matter what it was if it had Wolverine at the time I would buy it. I had disposable income at the time and I bought multiple copies. I loved independents too (TMNT, Usagi Yojimbo etc) and saw this cover to Grips 1. Total Wolverine rip off: brown costume and the blades attached to the back of his hands. Opened the book at my local comic book store (Gary's Corner Book Store) and said yes. I took it home along with 20 other comics and read it. Here's where the story gets good in my opinion.

I was an honor student in math English and science. For honors English, we had to write a 1 page paper daily: type written, spaced yada yada yada and it had to be in the first person for this assignment. I was so busy with life at the time that I could not come up with content. I could not put pen to paper so I decided to baffle my teacher with BS. Plagiarism was a serious offense and I did not want to get caught. SO I decided to copy word for word the narration in Grips 1. I had to lose the bad language of course but it was an easy paper to write once I started with the following open which is on page 16

"The wind blew a mourning for the deeds to come. The earth knew what I did not, Perhaps it was speaking to me, warning me. Perhaps it was comforting me, reassuring me of my mission. I am the KNIGHT of darkness. I am death's pawn in the delivering of the evil souls and I love my work..." I took lots of different parts of the comic but to me this was the perfect start for my paper. When I was finished with the paper I loved it. I wrote it off in my mind as a perfect homage to the comic I loved. I was scared to death handing it in but I knew there was no possible way Mr. Koppleman  had read this book. I got an "A" of course and the teacher wrote a comment, "David you may have found your niche". I never did it again and never told my mom. I told my son recently because he starts High School tomorrow.

IMG_1659.JPG

Woah. Another book I don't think I've ever seen. You're in!

On 8/10/2021 at 8:12 PM, Namtak said:

Hi everybody!can i join?if so here is the one for me that i like,i love when stories can go every wich way it can and like the underdog for some reason,so storyteller character somewhat becomes the star of the comics, like the cryptkeeper!well this one never rose to that level and became more mysterious and a servent of stories the butler to batman.well this one is the librarian (lucien)of unwritten stories to his master morpheus(sandman)(how cool is that!).here is my comics of his first appearance that i cherish for almost 15 years!when it was disregard as an ordinaire comics.here is my ghastly castle 1!

20210810_200313.jpg

Honestly, this entry is quite puzzling to me. Personally, I would think it would be weird to NOT collect Ghost Castle.:smile:

On 8/10/2021 at 9:43 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I noticed this thread a while back,
but now the deadlines nearly here
pardon me while I grab a beer
and place this book into the pack.

Is there a lonelier title in the land
who's issues collectors do not demand?
A character who's pal is an undersized being
who can metamorphize into any creature he's ever seen.

He's unloved and unappreciated in so many ways
certainly not a Marvel title, where ownership pays
so he collects dust in my collection
and cannot aspire to Heritage perfection.

The Space Ranger of unexpected lore's
has adventures fighting aliens riding dinosaurs
in issue number fifty four
out from storage in my back drawer.

My entry is Tales of  the Unexpected #54

scan0643.jpg

Essentially, this is like leading in the first quarter 21-0.

On 8/11/2021 at 12:09 PM, electricprune said:

Well, I'm not going to be home for a while. Let's keep this open until 5 PM! 

Unfortunately, the Italian judge is not feeling well. She actually got a Covid test earlier this week and was negative, thankfully. (She's vaxed, but who knows.) Hopefully she'll be up to judging later today. If not, I'll need to postpone the judging until she feels better. She enjoyed doing it last year, so hopefully she'll be up for it tonight. The back up judge will probably abscond into the night, so I can't bank on her.

Prayers and thoughts regardless :) It's that time of year, hope she feels better!

On 8/11/2021 at 12:09 PM, electricprune said:

Unfortunately, the Italian judge is not feeling well. She actually got a Covid test earlier this week and was negative, thankfully. (She's vaxed, but who knows.) Hopefully she'll be up to judging later today. If not, I'll need to postpone the judging until she feels better. She enjoyed doing it last year, so hopefully she'll be up for it tonight. The back up judge will probably abscond into the night, so I can't bank on her.

Oh a last minute extension!

Really no reason for anyone NOT to put in an entry now.

GET ER DUN!

Spoiler

Hope the Mrs. feels better!

On 8/11/2021 at 1:09 PM, electricprune said:

Oh no! I hope the boss feels better and gets some rest.  Take care you guys.  It's getting a bit dicey again with delta.