• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sub-Mariner #8 CGC 9.6, whats it worth?

62 posts in this topic

Ive got 4 copies that would all pull 9.6.Unfortunately they were all made in 1992.Very nice for comparison.I put it beside my g+ copy and well um the good dont look so good anymore.The black covers certainly take a kickin. 893frustrated.gif

Amazing that you BS are watching a book like that being bid up! You sure share some common interests with Dr. Koos. I am bidding on that book now mainly out of fear. Fear that we will loose a 9.6 - which may become a 9.9 or something. Something those damn thrill/joybidders can't bid on you know. And if you don't like the heat, I am sure you know how to exit the kitchen. Imagine a smiley face here. but there is a nice 9.4 available also I see so why don't you go bother your old buddy Gorgo about that one.

I'm quite sure that you are completely unaware of how many CGC high grade Marvels and DCs (9.0 and better) that I own. Unless you happen to have one of those "Magic Mirrors" that they had on Romper Room.

I'm also quite sure that you don't have any idea exactly how many CGC high grade (9.0 and better) Marvels and DCs that Koos has either, unless he gave you a figure. But that's between you and he. You did have a deal with him didn't you?

I remember reading or hearing somewhere about your purchasing an X-Men 5 CGC 9.4 blue label from him Off-Ebay (straight sale..not an auction) and being very satisfied with the deal. Especially that he let you execute a time payment plan on it. That's a very difficult Marvel to acquire in high grade from my understanding, isn't it counselor?

I would then have to summize that your one purchase from him was a favorable one. Was it not? If so, I may be going way out on a limb here, but I would also summize that if he has CGCed items the likes of X-Men 5s in 9.4, it would be feasible for him to have others, possibly many others of the same caliber, no?

Personally, the figure I've heard as far as how many CGCed high grade Marvels and DCs combined that he has is well over 500, and I heard that awhile ago. But who the hell knows! 99% of EVERYTHING that is posted on this board is done so without concrete evidence to support the 1000s of statements made daily, and 3/4 of the time, even if remotely truthful in part, you're getting 1/2 the story. Isn't THAT so, counselor?

Nobody is being sworn in on a Bible before "testifying", posting on this Forum. And maybe its better that way, because no one would have anything to say in a case where it had to be sworn to!

Further, I would think that since your ONE purchase from Koos was a favorable one, you would have absolutely no reason to be "throwing stones", let alone complaining about someone bidding on a gorgeous book.

Looks like you're impossible to satisfy, if he bids on a raw VF, it's to "improve". If he bids on the highest graded example of a book, it's still unacceptible and reason for you to say something negative.

It's amazing to me that in light of how pleased you were, that you STILL have reason to find yourself posting against that person by summizing illogical outcomes of a guy bidding on a gorgeous book that he wants.

PS: I'm sure that RK is well aware of your "punishment bidding" technique. Careful! At some point, you may wind up owning a Subby 8 in 9.6 at a price you wish you didn't bid.

Well if you must know - it is one of my all time favorite covers and at this point I am just bidding for fun. Your doppleganger - er, excuse me, friend - hammer said it was worth $1200 so trhe bidding is still low at this point. And besides I have now gone into stealth mode and will bid no more until the last 6 sconds. We could do that like a wild west shoot out! But of course I think there will be a few others bidding too. But thanks for taking interest in my bidding. Yeah I developed my sniper techniques after constantly being bid up and outbid at the last second by one of the biggest aholes on ebay who is some sort of power seller with near spotless ebay feedback - so he is the one I emulate. So don't hate the player my man. And besides I may not pursue the book further as a 9.4 looks about the same as a 9.6 to me anyway. But then again I may pursue it still - only the last few seconds will reveal the stunning conclusion to this caper.

Allow me to stir up the hornet's nest a little. Have you considered that the last few seconds before the final HOUR is the important time here? If memory serves, you can't yank a bid during the last hour (or is it the last day now? I forget), so whoever yells "OLE!" first and yanks their bid might end up being the "winner."

893scratchchin-thumb.gifacclaim.gif

Either way, the love in these threads is so heartwarming and inspiring!!! frown.giffrown.gif I can't tell you how valuable it makes the minutes we all spend here every day reading posts. I find these threads to be a great segueway into my normal hobby of walking down the street looking for random people to beat the [!@#%^&^] out of. insane.gifmakepoint.gif

for anyone interested... the BIN was $595... Gman knocked it out a moment before I got there to nab it.

Past sales, but not for awhile...

10/02/02.... SUB-MARINER.... 8 9.6 White..... $600.00

10/01/02.... SUB-MARINER.... 8 9.6.... $539.00

09/24/02.... SUB-MARINER.... 8 9.6 White.... $503.99

07/13/02.... SUB-MARINER.... 8 9.6.... $620.00

for anyone interested... the BIN was $595... Gman knocked it out a moment before I got there to nab it.

Past sales, but not for awhile...

10/02/02.... SUB-MARINER.... 8 9.6 White..... $600.00

10/01/02.... SUB-MARINER.... 8 9.6.... $539.00

09/24/02.... SUB-MARINER.... 8 9.6 White.... $503.99

07/13/02.... SUB-MARINER.... 8 9.6.... $620.00

oh sure...make me the bad guy..... grin.gif

From your mouth to God's ears, RZ. And this one looks like a LEGITIMATE 9.6, not one of those, "made men 9.0 to 9.2, he's a friend of OURS, he's a good earner for us and kicks alot of tribute upstairs, so let's open the books and make a 9.6 for him" 9.6s that seem to proliferate the hobby.

the 9.4 OW ended at 293.

would you rather pay that for the 9.4 OW, or the 666 for the 9.6 W?

(opening a can of worms now... if page quality is factored into grade, then it's conceivable that structurally, the 9.4 is equal/better than the 9.6?)

Ok - it may have been a little too much but in 5 years I am sure it will be worth that much! Did not know there had been a BIN price - some dufus ahole must have bid to remove it before I saw the book. Had to have that book as it is a particular favorite cover. It was a college girlfriend's favorite cover and it reminds me of her now that she is gone. She was killed in a tragic county fair accident when the Tilt-a-Whirl went out of control - something about exceeding the weight limit. It was messy! Anyway, every time I see the bright orange Thing on that cover, it reminds me of her. So under those circumstances you can see why someone might bid a little too much - I am only human and my emotions got the best of me! And to answer the other question, I would rather have the 9.4 at $300! But that's life.

i liekd teh 9.6 for like $450 or so......9.4...maybe like $200. there will be more. there always is..........
Yep - and there will usually be someone there to bid it up to make sure you pay your fair share - or at least there probably will be now.

Ok - it may have been a little too much but in 5 years I am sure it will be worth that much! Did not know there had been a BIN price - some dufus ahole must have bid to remove it before I saw the book. Had to have that book as it is a particular favorite cover. It was a college girlfriend's favorite cover and it reminds me of her now that she is gone. She was killed in a tragic county fair accident when the Tilt-a-Whirl went out of control - something about exceeding the weight limit. It was messy! Anyway, every time I see the bright orange Thing on that cover, it reminds me of her. So under those circumstances you can see why someone might bid a little too much - I am only human and my emotions got the best of me! And to answer the other question, I would rather have the 9.4 at $300! But that's life.

Nothing wrong with paying whatever amount you want for a book that you like. Especially one that brings back nice memories. Those are the only kind I collect. Sorry to hear about your friend.