• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBay return rate...

73 posts in this topic

nah, October, this guy has been a problem in the past, I've ordered from him before and his grading is routinely off. He sells a few CGC books here and there, and for the most part, I wouldn't buy from him. I like guys who I've met in person and am familiar with their grading. Truthfully, I just prefer to buy at shows and I seem to get to enough shows to make tht happen without having to go onto ebay.

True. I changed my post, cause I realized it porbably isn't the same guy anyway.

And now you know why HG Collectors buy CGC books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, we pay a boat load more, but I willing to pay up, to get what I want and expect.

Buying raw books on eBay is nearly impossible. Maybe five years ago it was easier, but anyone with lots of feedback as a comic dealer, would understand which books to get CGC'd and which one's not to get CGC'd.

Obviously, if you are buying a grade that wouldn't be worth getting CGC'd in the first place, then there is less reason for the seller to bump up the grade.

Different guy. The seller of the Hulk is aardvarkps, not aardvark88

OOppps my bad,

In that case October the guy that you bought from cant grade worth a [embarrassing lack of self control], my only transaction with him for a couple of FN/VF books listed as NMs sign-rantpost.gif

nah, October, this guy has been a problem in the past, I've ordered from him before and his grading is routinely off. He sells a few CGC books here and there, and for the most part, I wouldn't buy from him. I like guys who I've met in person and am familiar with their grading. Truthfully, I just prefer to buy at shows and I seem to get to enough shows to make tht happen without having to go onto ebay.

I hear you, but it can be such a tough call. Yesterday I got that Dark Mansion 3 that's an easy 8.0/8.5 for $15. That's a $50 book at a show if you can even find it in that condition. It just seems like my eBay buys are either really good or really bad. The swings are just getting a little tedious.

OOppps my bad,

In that case October the guy that you bought from cant grade worth a [embarrassing lack of self control], my only transaction with him for a couple of FN/VF books listed as NMs sign-rantpost.gif

I don't get why this guy has 99.8% feedback then. Feedback is truly a useless gauge of a seller. mad.gif

True. I changed my post, cause I realized it porbably isn't the same guy anyway.

And now you know why HG Collectors buy CGC books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, we pay a boat load more, but I willing to pay up, to get what I want and expect.

Buying raw books on eBay is nearly impossible. Maybe five years ago it was easier, but anyone with lots of feedback as a comic dealer, would understand which books to get CGC'd and which one's not to get CGC'd.

Obviously, if you are buying a grade that wouldn't be worth getting CGC'd in the first place, then there is less reason for the seller to bump up the grade.

I know why high grade collectors by slabs, but I am not a high grade collector. Not much point in slabbing or buying slabbed 8.0s and 8.5s. confused-smiley-013.gif

OOppps my bad,

I don't get why this guy has 99.8% feedback then. Feedback is truly a useless gauge of a seller. mad.gif

It took me a while to figure that out also gossip.gif

I'm a bit frugal and only make about one ebay purchase each week. In the past 3 years of purchases I've only made one return, that being an advertised NM that was an unmistakable VG. Had a wild-hair and took a chance on a small scan(everyone probably has to get burned at least once).

One of my tell-tell signs that I normally use is not only the auction scan but if the description matches the advertised grade too. If the seller at least lists his view of the flaws of a book, i.e. corner crease, back cover soiling, etc. then you can get a quick insight into whether the auction is worth your time or not. Auctions that only give a grade and nothing else usually aren't worth the effort. That Hulk book just says something like 8.5/9.0 with no description of any flaws. If the price had been right for a reader copy, I might have took the bait...but if I was looking for high grade...I'd have moved on to the next auction.

That's why I started leaning towards slabs. Despite the SCS and grading discrepencies, I knew what I was getting (of course that is shot all to hades now). Of course, your're paying for it too.

Looks like midgrade is where we all need to be...

That's why I started leaning towards slabs. Despite the SCS and grading discrepencies, I knew what I was getting. Of course, your're paying for it too.

Are you sick 893whatthe.gif

That's why I started leaning towards slabs. Despite the SCS and grading discrepencies, I knew what I was getting. Of course, your're paying for it too.

27_laughing.gif I like the new Sterling!

27_laughing.gif I like the new Sterling!

Well, I'm just saying everything is a trade off. You can't always get want you want....but if you try sometimes...you'll just might find...you get what you need.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif...one 9.8 book or 1,000 midgrade books. If I become more of an active reader like precodekeith, the answer is obvious.

I can't see the rip on the front (I see a little something), but I don't think that light creasing/stress line along the right side will always knock it out of an 8.5, at least according to some slabs I've seen. But rips and spine splits should get you out of 8.5 in a hurry. I'd need to see the split, but I wonder if it can even be a 6.0.

at this point i can't remember which "aard..." i dealt with now that i see there are two. there are fewer debates, however, with VG to Fine books, so fewer fights. my disappointments are generally with VF and better. particularly back in olden times when everyone had a tiny scan.

Here is a scan. It looks nicer than it is. There is a 1/4" tear on the right edge and 2 1" edge creases. The back cover is fine except for the 1" split.

hulk1.jpg

thanx for the beautiful scan. Isnt this one remarkably great cover????

I have not purchased any books off of e-bay in about 5 years, but that is mostly due to other priorities in my life (sucks to be me).

Of the 8 books that I have purchased off of e-bay, just about all that arrived were within a half grade up or down of where I feel they would grade out too, compared to where the seller graded them. For me, I think that part of this was due that I was purchasing mid grade books and not HG copies that people were calling NM.

Part of the problem of buying raw copies of books off of e-bay that I see, is that everyone's grading standards are different, so what you would consider a mid-grade book, might be what someone else considers HG, or visa versa. I can not stand miswrapped covers, so if a book has a badly miswraped cover, I won't consider it any higher grade then VF at best, even if everyone else states that the book is a 9.4, that miswrapped cover just kills the look for me, but that it just my personnal opinion.

But this difference in grading standards is one of the reasons that I think that the advent of CGC has helped the hobby. Since it makes it easier to purchase a book sight unseen, knowing that it was CGC graded.

E-bay is still a good place to pick up comics, especially if you live in an area where there are not many good LCS to choose from (I think there are like 5 or 6 stores in my metropolitian area). You just have to look at the books and figure that the chances of them being overgraded are high and bid accordingly.

Psy

Here is a scan. It looks nicer than it is. There is a 1/4" tear on the right edge and 2 1" edge creases. The back cover is fine except for the 1" split.

hulk1.jpg

6.0, i don't see it looking any nicer, likely a bit worse...

you might get 6.5 if you get it pressed, 7.0 if you get it trimmed...

poke2.gif

i know you wouldn't, haha stooges.gif

i too have stopped buying on ebay with any frequency. if i do, i am careful and agree with the other posts...the best is finding a new, somewhat naive seller who is honest...

thanx for the beautiful scan. Isnt this one remarkably great cover????

It's one of my favorites. That's why I am kinda pisssed this turned out badly. On top of the split, I just noticed two 1/2" spine tears on the back that I thought were stress lines. Christo_pull_hair.gif Now we are talking 5.5 range here.

6.0, i don't see it looking any nicer, likely a bit worse...

you might get 6.5 if you get it pressed, 7.0 if you get it trimmed...

poke2.gif

i know you wouldn't, haha stooges.gif

I bet he feels much better now poke2.gif