• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And yet another reason I hate UPS
2 2

27 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

Last week I received a painting that signature required from Fed Ex and the guy rang the doorbell, waited for me to answer, and asked me name and then handed over the package. I was so happy the artist sent Fed Ex instead of UPS.

I thought this was a great strategy for FedEx.  The drivers maintain social distancing while asking your name and still maintain the integrity of having signature confirmation to a great degree.

On the Prime deliveries, we can get most of them via Amazon Prime itself but almost all of the orders are Prime eligible which I assume makes the difference.  They have been good.  They take a picture of the items left at the door which you get in the delivered email but I did get a package intended for my neighbor once and a couple of times the package was left near the yard and not the front door but still puts UPS to shame.

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:

It works for me. Only few shipment I couldn't redirect so far.

Oh I agree.  I do it all the time with FedEx.  I am not sure I understand why CGC switched up.  I would prefer to have them redirected to the store where you have to show ID - that seems very secure to me.

I have never tried it with UPS but I will do so in the future.  

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Oh I agree.  I do it all the time with FedEx.  I am not sure I understand why CGC switched up.  I would prefer to have them redirected to the store where you have to show ID - that seems very secure to me.

I have never tried it with UPS but I will do so in the future.  

Can you take my advice? 

I work for UPS for 11 years and always have excepted the high seasonal from October to January every year but during COVID-19, I never experienced this before. The seasonal started last October and lasted until few weeks ago. Finally it is back to normal.  Maybe it's good time to use UPS but I have seen many beat-up packages unless CGC pack them well with extra protections.  Other peak will start in mid-October again. I am not looking forward to it.  UPS drivers have to drive all the day from 9am to 7pm and have to drive back to their hub for new load (new deliveries).

I can empathize the drivers who are very tired of long days all week.  Some supervisors can be a-hole and yell them for driving too long. The drivers are getting paid for hourly rate.  They are rarely fired from the job but they can be brought back to the job under the protection of the Union (Local 705).  Non-Unionized FedEx drivers and workers are not protected at all.  They are worried about their jobs at all the time.  USPS employees are union members too.  UPS/FedEx have lost about 30 to 40 employees per year due to the accidents/weather/diseases excluded COVID-19 (about 15 employees died of COVID-19 this year).  Sometimes, I yelled at them for being not safe and they confronted me without an apology.  I am 6' 2" guy and he dropped 89 lbs of the box near my ankle. I reacted and yelled at him briefly. 5' 5" guy walked to me chest to chest and cursed at me. I would see his rotten teeth easily. I ignored him and nothing happened. Many guys have respected me as a safety/care worker. UPS has a safety team to train everyone for being safe.

From my observation (I have a tape gun at ready), Amazon and Sam Club are the worst of all.  They cannot pack well.  They just use one paper tape on both sides.  For example, 50 lbs of dog food came out of Amazon box.  Two oversized bleach containers went through the bottom of the box easily. Too loose inside the box caused the shift to one side. The box fell off the stock and the item spilled all over. Some heavy boxes were stacked upon the hollow Amazon or Sam Club boxes that were crushed easily and were opened.  It depends on people who packs and UPS/FedEx/USPS employees load the trailers/freight cars. I intend to put the hollow/unsecured boxes beside until all boxes are stacked up. I put them on the top of stack. Many employees don't care about them. It's old problematic. The volume is still growing for last ten years despite of COVID-19 except great recession of 2007 and 2008 (UPS hiring was freezing for one year).

UPS always hires new people every week. It always has been a highest turnover every month. For example, 50 new employees are trained for one week before they are doing on own. 40 out of 50 are not coming back after two weeks. One month later, only 5 employees make it after one month.  Not many people can handle for 3-5 hours a day in five days a week at odd hours (Twilight shift 5 pm to 10 pm, Midnight shift 11 pm to 2 am and Predawn shift 4 am to 8 am). They have hard times to get up so early. I have survived Midnight shift for 7 years then moved to Predawn shift for next 4 years.  I am already a burnt out but I have to cope for few more years (Thanks to my union for having four vacation weeks - I will be on my third week starting this week).  I am sure that we are worn out everyday before you realized why UPS driver may be rude to you.

I am still a part-time employee but I have a full benefit. The average waiting time to get a full-time position is 16 years nationwide. It goes same thing with USPS and FedEx. I have bid few full time positions but those employees have seniority above me.  So I have other jobs as Adjunct Faculty teacher at two different colleges.  I sleep between jobs.  Not easy to live with those.  They are very tired people like me.

I trust CGC shipping department for packing them well so far.  Since 2009, CGC has shipped many packages to my home safe except one.  It was crushed and opened but the case was survived without a scratch. I have no problem with FedEx.

Edited by JollyComics

All the major logistics options, including USPS, are slacking on signature confirmation right now. My UPS driver and USPS courier generally ask for my name in lieu of a signature, but I had a USPS registered mail package just dropped at the door without any effort at contacting me (while I watched, actually...).