• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can an Ebay seller really be this Unaware??? or is it a scam???
5 5

442 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, tvindy said:

My comic collection was almost entirely amassed in my childhood from the mid-70s to late 80s By the 90s, I had moved on to other things. (I still have my collection, though, and it's one of my most treasured possessions.) I have very little familiarity with 90s comics. I'm not surprised that most comics from that decade have almost no monetary value. That makes sense, since collectors were hoarding them in large numbers as investments. But I'm really surprised to hear that the quality was so bad, to the point that no one even wants to read them, even if they're free. What exactly happened in the 90s? Did all the big-name writers just walk out?

What happened was everything became like liefeld.  He was a big name and even tho the stories and art were awful, they SOLD.  No one knows quite why.  So everyone emulated the Liefeld type books.  Solid artists like Curt Swan suddenly couldnt get much work-he didnt draw like liefeld or Jim Lee.  It was out with the old, in with the bad.  They also focused on foil covers and relegated writing to a back seat.  People thought the new foil books they bought 30 copies of would be worth Action #1 money in a few years.  LCS owners scoffed at golden age books and stocked up on foils.

Edited by kav

I recall one boardie had a neighbor who literally filled his garage with boxes of death of superman.  He was certain he would be a multimillionaire.  lol 

Just now, gadzukes said:

:facepalm::roflmao:

It's so true.  What a bad era for our great hobby.

I guess thats why they sold so well-people werent reading them or buying them for any quality content they just bought into the HYPE.
:flipbait:

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

He should have bet the money on double 0, one spin, win or lose. His chances would have been better. 

Indeed.  Plus he wouldnt have to pay someone to haul it all away.

31 minutes ago, tvindy said:

My comic collection was almost entirely amassed in my childhood from the mid-70s to late 80s By the 90s, I had moved on to other things. (I still have my collection, though, and it's one of my most treasured possessions.) I have very little familiarity with 90s comics. I'm not surprised that most comics from that decade have almost no monetary value. That makes sense, since collectors were hoarding them in large numbers as investments. But I'm really surprised to hear that the quality was so bad, to the point that no one even wants to read them, even if they're free. What exactly happened in the 90s? Did all the big-name writers just walk out?

There was just an attitude that any old garbage would sell, and for a while it did. Now it just clogs up peoples' garages like cholesterol in an artery.

1 minute ago, kustomizer said:

There was just an attitude that any old garbage would sell, and for a while it did. Now it just clogs up peoples' garages like cholesterol in an artery.

Even landfills dont want em.
"Take that garbage somewhere else!!"

19 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

There's a very wise man in this hobby who would simply haul it out to the curb, stick a sign on the pile, "Free Comics", and save himself the expense of having it hauled away. (worship)  

And 10 years later it would still be on the curb.

25 minutes ago, kav said:

What happened was everything became like liefeld.  He was a big name and even tho the stories and art were awful, they SOLD.  No one knows quite why.  So everyone emulated the Liefeld type books.  Solid artists like Curt Swan suddenly couldnt get much work-he didnt draw like liefeld or Jim Lee.  It was out with the old, in with the bad.  They also focused on foil covers and relegated writing to a back seat.  People thought the new foil books they bought 30 copies of would be worth Action #1 money in a few years.  LCS owners scoffed at golden age books and stocked up on foils.

Interesting. I guess the industry just became complacent after their success in the 80s. I can see how foil covers would look cool to people in the 90s, though.

Just now, gadzukes said:

And 10 years later it would still be on the curb.

-with a bunch of other boxes!
"Oh is this where we dump drek?"

Just now, tvindy said:

Interesting. I guess the industry just became complacent after their success in the 80s. I can see how foil covers would look cool to people in the 90s, though.

The 80s was an explosion of creativity.  The 90s it was a foil cash grab.