• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can an Ebay seller really be this Unaware??? or is it a scam???
5 5

442 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, tvindy said:

He does say right in the title that it's a replica, though.

He does, but there's no indication on the book itself that it's a replica.

The unauthorized replica industry is really chugging along:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=replica&_sacat=73&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=73&_odkw=reokica

6 minutes ago, kustomizer said:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=replica&_sacat=73&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=73&_odkw=reokica

Interesting. It's a good thing we have CGC.

2 minutes ago, kustomizer said:

Not really related but I wonder why the seller didn't or maybe couldn't find a better original cover to replicate.  If you look closely, there is scuffing along the spine and some CB creases elsewhere on the FC.  Perhaps, the seller was going for that look.

I personally think it is ludicrous to pay that much for a replica when cheaper authorized editions are readily available.  Heck you could get a milestone editions with multiple issues cheaper.

It makes me wonder if some folks who buy these may try to pass them off as originals 

3 minutes ago, telerites said:

Not really related but I wonder why the seller didn't or maybe couldn't find a better original cover to replicate.  If you look closely, there is scuffing along the spine and some CB creases elsewhere on the FC.  Perhaps, the seller was going for that look.

I personally think it is ludicrous to pay that much for a replica when cheaper authorized editions are readily available.  Heck you could get a milestone editions with multiple issues cheaper.

It makes me wonder if some folks who buy these may try to pass them off as originals 

Yes, I'm sure some people want these to try and pass them off as originals. That may even be the majority of the people who buy them. On the other hand, I can certainly understand the appeal. I know there are all sorts of modern reprintings (with much better paper and printing techniques) and online versions if you're just interested in reading the stories and appreciating the artwork. Still, I love the idea of a faithful replica printed on the same paper at the same size as the original. You can hold it in your hands and get a sense of what it was like to read the original when it first came out. If these were marked in some obvious but unobtrusive way and actually published by Marvel, I would be all for them.

16 minutes ago, telerites said:

I'm sure that's going to happen, if it's not already going on.

14 minutes ago, tvindy said:

Yes, I'm sure some people want these to try and pass them off as originals. That may even be the majority of the people who buy them. On the other hand, I can certainly understand the appeal. I know there are all sorts of modern reprintings (with much better paper and printing techniques) and online versions if you're just interested in reading the stories and appreciating the artwork. Still, I love the idea of a faithful replica printed on the same paper at the same size as the original. You can hold it in your hands and get a sense of what it was like to read the original when it first came out. If these were marked in some obvious but unobtrusive way and actually published by Marvel, I would be all for them.

I agree. If Marvel could print exact replicas of pretty much everything they issued in the '60s, I'd snap up every issue. They would definitely need to have 'replica' printed at the bottom of every page.

I'm sure they could do it, too. Maybe if the bootleg replica market gets too out of hand they'll be motivated to do so.

Edited by kustomizer
tyepoe

15 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Well whadda'ya know? I knew I saw the Hulk 1-6 someplace before. Just had to keep looking; July 12th:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-1-2-3-4-5-6-Full-Run-Lot-Jack-Kirby-Ditko-Stan-Lee-Full-Run-Lot-/164274645577?hash=item263f882a49%3Ag%3AWh0AAOSwd71e~5Zb&nma=true&si=E8od8oRKDZdprrtjzMjvScVHsRw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 

And the winner of that NeatStuff listing, the six Hulks that appear verbatim in Floppy B's listing, just happens to be the HIGH BIDDER in Floppy B's debacle.

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/164274645577?item=164274645577&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565 

So Either one of two possibilities are in play. 

The bidder with 844 feedbacks is bidding on FloppyB's listing because he recognizes the books he already bought from NeatStuff in July, and this is some form of entrapment, for criminal purposes, or the winner of those books is FloppyBubbles and he's shilling this lot using the same account he won the Hulks from Neatstuff with. 

Nice work. The cover writings and stains match the Neatstuff auction perfectly.  I also messaged this guy and he said he inherited this from his grandfather who "died several years ago." That is an absolute lie, so everything else can expected to be a lie.

10 hours ago, Tony S said:

Less talk and more reporting to eBay might be in order. I have done so.

Copyright and trademark

Counterfeit item or authenticity disclaimer

Counterfeit, fake, or replica items
In the text box, note the Hulk 1 is not original - has a reprint cover - and the previous eBay auction listing number  

this

6 hours ago, kustomizer said:

Just for even more laffs, here's a guy in Brazil selling a Hulk #1 replica for $30, free post worldwide:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Incredible-Hulk-1-Silver-Age-Replica-Edition/124328733847?hash=item1cf291ec97:g:DPcAAOSwaFFfOFVN

He has others too.

Theres at least 12 ebay sellers that I know of knocking off key issue covers. All correctly represented, the titles openly honest about what they are. Just search replics under the ebay comics search. 

5 hours ago, tvindy said:

Interesting. It's a good thing we have CGC.

It is a good thing we have CGC, but that aside, if you're a silver age collector, you hold one of the replica covered, coverless comics in your hand, you know immediately that it's not right. Paper is completely different and so is the printing, the colors, the gloss, the weight of the colors and paper, etc. For any silver age hobbyist, it's an immediate notice. 

17 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Well whadda'ya know? I knew I saw the Hulk 1-6 someplace before. Just had to keep looking; July 12th:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-1-2-3-4-5-6-Full-Run-Lot-Jack-Kirby-Ditko-Stan-Lee-Full-Run-Lot-/164274645577?hash=item263f882a49%3Ag%3AWh0AAOSwd71e~5Zb&nma=true&si=E8od8oRKDZdprrtjzMjvScVHsRw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 

And the winner of that NeatStuff listing, the six Hulks that appear verbatim in Floppy B's listing, just happens to be the HIGH BIDDER in Floppy B's debacle.

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/164274645577?item=164274645577&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565 

So Either one of two possibilities are in play. 

The bidder with 844 feedbacks is bidding on FloppyB's listing because he recognizes the books he already bought from NeatStuff in July, and this is some form of entrapment, for criminal purposes, or the winner of those books is FloppyBubbles and he's shilling this lot using the same account he won the Hulks from Neatstuff with. 

Likely possibly it is Floppy B as the seller who probably had won the 6 Hulks from Neatstuff auctions. I would image he realize he overpaid on the Hulks, and decided to flip with the rest of Dreks ... the “60 boxes” and salted a few small keys among there. Figured that he could get his money back and then more profit in return. Or then I could be wrong? (shrug)

1 hour ago, roccojoco said:

Nice work. The cover writings and stains match the Neatstuff auction perfectly.  I also messaged this guy and he said he inherited this from his grandfather who "died several years ago." That is an absolute lie, so everything else can expected to be a lie.

The last "inheritance" listing(s) we discussed of this nature were the Diamond_Comic_LLC turned Polished_Gem_Comics items. In that case, the father-in-law and his refrigerator stocked with silver age comics for 50 years. Come to think of it, there's some interesting things olished and FloppyB have in common!  Does Polished_Gem still sell on ebay? I can't find him. hm

1 hour ago, Fan Boy said:

Likely possibly it is Floppy B as the seller who probably had won the 6 Hulks from Neatstuff auctions. I would image he realize he overpaid on the Hulks, and decided to flip with the rest of Dreks ... the “60 boxes” and salted a few small keys among there. Figured that he could get his money back and then more profit in return. Or then I could be wrong? (shrug)

He didn't overpay. These were bought with this project as his purpose. A real 2-6 and a spurious #1? Perfect to craft a listing from. His whole premise for doing it in just this manner is because there are those that will mistake the #1 as being the same as the 2-6. Neatstuff responsibly disclosed that in the listing when he bought it. he knows. Mail fraud by omission. Just like Polished. Books that he bought CGC graded as 9.0 were then represented as having been "stored in a refrigerator for 50 years" and represented as NM/unread. There's a certain similarity here. If I was a betting man, I may take odds that Floppy is our old friend, Polished.  hm

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

He didn't overpay. These were bought with this project as his purpose. A real 2-6 and a spurious #1? Perfect to craft a listing from. His whole premise for doing it in just this manner is because there are those that will mistake the #1 as being the same as the 2-6. Neatstuff responsibly disclosed that in the listing when he bought it. he knows. Mail fraud by omission. Just like Polished. Books that he bought CGC graded as 9.0 were then represented as having been "stored in a refrigerator for 50 years" and represented as NM/unread. There's a certain similarity here. If I was a betting man, I may take odds that Floppy is our old friend, Polished.  hm

why do you think he cracked out the CGC 4.5 Hulk #2 ??

Just now, 1950's war comics said:

why do you think he cracked out the CGC 4.5 Hulk #2 ??

He has the talent to recognize the opportunity to scam, but lacks the critical thinking and the diabolical cunning to carry it through once he sets it in play. Like Polished, he's so obvious, it's like an ostrich sticking his head in the sand to hide, this guy's planning is OK but his execution and attention to detail are Comedy Central. He's also too greedy and too impatient topull off anything like this without sending up flares.

13 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

He has the talent to recognize the opportunity to scam, but lacks the critical thinking and the diabolical cunning to carry it through once he sets it in play. Like Polished, he's so obvious, it's like an ostrich sticking his head in the sand to hide, this guy's planning is OK but his execution and attention to detail are Comedy Central. He's also too greedy and too impatient topull off anything like this without sending up flares.

thanks ,... nothing is worse than someone acting like they have something they know nothing.or very little about when in actuality , they know exactly what they are trying to pull off

as bad as a used car salesman from back in the day that knew as soon as you drove the car home it was going to break down the next day