• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just saw this in my son's textbook at an IVY league university

40 posts in this topic

Here's an idea-get someone who actually knows about comics which is most of us here, or most any LCS owner, to write or at least edit an Ivy League book passage abt comics rather than just some bighead who googles a bit then goes for it.

Edited by kav

1 hour ago, Erndog said:

"The price of a comic reflects the significance of the event that takes place in the issue"

I'm not sure that's necessarily correct, but hey, cool they are talking about comics one way or another!

In some cases, that's completely false

Since they went with their Golden Age counterparts for The Flash and Green Lantern, and not the Showcase Silver Age ones, Atom's first appearance/origin is All-American Comics #19

Does that make me smarter than an Ivy Leaguer? :acclaim:

I couldn't even compete with those kids on that Jeff Foxworthy show "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader"!

Edited by DanCooper

8 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Since they went with their Golden Age counterparts for The Flash and Green Lantern, and not the Showcase Silver Age ones, Atom's first appearance/origin is All-American Comics #19

I couldn't even beat those kids on that Jeff Foxworthy show "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader"!

Isn't that a different Atom?

6 minutes ago, Adamster said:

Isn't that a different Atom?

Correct, Al Pratt (Gold) vs Ray Palmer (Silver)

But, they used the Golden Age equivalents in their examples for The Flash and Green Lantern

I also started a sentence with "But"....I told you I couldn't win against 5th graders!

Edited by DanCooper

34 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

I couldn't even compete with those kids on that Jeff Foxworthy show "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader"!

From the evidence I've seen, 5th graders smarter than most Ivy leaguers.  
Ask a random ivy leaguer some question like 'what were the 2 sides in the civil war' and you'll get something like 'germany and japan'.  There's a guy that does youtube videos.
Not talking abt OP's son who I'm sure is smart as a whip like his dad!  I'm sure he shakes his head too at some of his classmates.

Edited by kav

2 hours ago, Erndog said:

"The price of a comic reflects the significance of the event that takes place in the issue"

I'm not sure that's necessarily correct, but hey, cool they are talking about comics one way or another!

It's obviously not correct. It ignores supply and other reasons for demand. Those are some significant omissions.

27 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

It's obviously not correct. It ignores supply and other reasons for demand. Those are some significant omissions.

I just read it again. I think it mentions supply at the bottom of page 498.

6 hours ago, Adamster said:

Yesterday I was reading through my son's university textbook, and saw this part about comics. Pretty cool that comics are featured to Master classes these days! 

20201002_193509.jpg

20201002_193522.jpg

Can you share any more of that?  :popcorn:  I'm really curious as to why it's being used to teach as a special case. 

The portions you've shared are determinants of value as a collectible by hobbyists but I'm unclear as to why they're relevant as a means of determining valuation at time of export of an item sold for export.  Not sure if the case is "comic book" specific or if the details relate to something involving a resident buyer purchasing on behalf of foreign interest.  Which I believe was the case with this AC 1.

8 hours ago, Adamster said:

Yesterday I was reading through my son's university textbook, and saw this part about comics. Pretty cool that comics are featured to Master classes these days! 

20201002_193509.jpg

20201002_193522.jpg

My kids dont make fun of my comics anymore where they saw their mutual funds for college and where the money came from.
Amazing how the viewpoint changes. 

1 hour ago, Adamster said:

Business School - not sure what that course is though.

I suspected that textbook can be related to economy or marketing.  The top of the page said Determinants of an export price. Looked up under that line and found the definition:

Concept of Price of a Product – Defined:

In a modern money using economy, price refers to the exchange value of a commodity or service, in terms of money

31 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

My kids dont make fun of my comics anymore where they saw their mutual funds for college and where the money came from.
Amazing how the viewpoint changes. 

Yeah! That's how it is.