• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kellyssuperheroes (Ebay seller)

44 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

I understand completely. But on a slightly more positive note, it does increase the desirability of the copies that haven't been debased...  (shrug)

It does for me! LOL! I'm not sure why someone would choose their 9.6 to have Adams draw all over it with a paint pen. An 8.0 or so would have been better. Or not draw on it at all. It looks like the seller planned it all out thinking he/she (who'm I kidding? HE) would have a one-of-a-kind thing and it would sell as soon as they got it posted on ebay. $10k is a lot to ask for a defaced 9.6 Bat 227. Apparently, I'm not alone in my assessment. It's been 4 sale for a while now. Saw a wrecked hi-grade Bat 232 like that as well. Really REALLY bad.

But. We ARE talking about kelleyssuperheroes ruining key issues. Not hapless speculators trying to guess what they think would sell like hotcakes.

8 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Ah. Yes, I don't mind signatures. As long as they are placed well. The book I refer to has a Bat-cameo drawn in by Adams and a bat inked into the moon. One could argue "yeah but it's original art on a nm/m book. But that's part of the problem. A 9.6 black cover seems to be hard to come by. To each their own, but it would seem as though the seller is stuck with it at that price. Been 4 sale for awhile now. If someone buys it, they should really want to keep it.

Aww I see what you’re saying. Yeah bad sig placement or too much is tough to look at.

1 minute ago, LDarkseid1 said:

You know I’ve seen much worse believe it or not, but it’s certainly an interesting copy lol 

Same here. A high grade Bat 232 with a horrible drawing of Ra's Al Ghul and a Batman cameo in sharpie dominating that beautiful cover plus some other minor doodles and a signature was 4 sale awhile ago. It comes and it goes. I do like SS books, but doing something like that to keys is a shame. I love Neal Adams craft, but he should be ashamed of himself for taking money to ruin keys like that. Should start a thread. "Why Did They Do This To Pretty Books?"

18 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

It does for me! LOL! I'm not sure why someone would choose their 9.6 to have Adams draw all over it with a paint pen. An 8.0 or so would have been better. Or not draw on it at all. It looks like the seller planned it all out thinking he/she (who'm I kidding? HE) would have a one-of-a-kind thing and it would sell as soon as they got it posted on ebay. $10k is a lot to ask for a defaced 9.6 Bat 227. Apparently, I'm not alone in my assessment. It's been 4 sale for a while now. Saw a wrecked hi-grade Bat 232 like that as well. Really REALLY bad.

But. We ARE talking about kelleyssuperheroes ruining key issues. Not hapless speculators trying to guess what they think would sell like hotcakes.

This hits close to home, I can respect your opinion 

I too sent in for the Neal in house signing this year, batman 234 and Jimmy Olsen 134, they'll only come back around 1.8, and I have an 8.0 #234 and 8.5#134

But I left those in the slab

However I over posted it but had a Nintendo power come back 8.5 signed and going to Send it back in for Eastman 

But

Tldr version, I think its pick and choose your battles 

A 9.6 raw or slab, I dont think it is wise to risk losing the grade, but then buy the book :pullhair:

Lol sometimes it's just simpler to say dont get signatures lol

But reality sometimes gets blurred

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

A 9.6 raw or slab, I dont think it is wise to risk losing the grade, but then buy the book :pullhair:

Yes! How strange. As I think about it, I assumed it was someone who had an awesome, ungraded 227, had Neal Adams freak out on it, then had it graded and slabbed. Never considered it may have been slabbed as a blue in the first place. That thought does not make me feel better about it. LOL!

I would like to see other examples collectors either have or have seen that the drawing was actual defacement and not an enhancement. I personally cannot think of a situation where a drawing on a hi-grade key book would be a plus. Unless it was small and sort of droll. But even then, it's still a hi-grade key.

15 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Same here. A high grade Bat 232 with a horrible drawing of Ra's Al Ghul and a Batman cameo in sharpie dominating that beautiful cover plus some other minor doodles and a signature was 4 sale awhile ago. It comes and it goes. I do like SS books, but doing something like that to keys is a shame. I love Neal Adams craft, but he should be ashamed of himself for taking money to ruin keys like that. Should start a thread. "Why Did They Do This To Pretty Books?"

I think there was a thread like that if you search, which is why you view still hits home. I can try to see if I can find it. 

1 minute ago, Randall Ries said:

Yes! How strange. As I think about it, I assumed it was someone who had an awesome, ungraded 227, had Neal Adams freak out on it, then had it graded and slabbed. Never considered it may have been slabbed as a blue in the first place. That thought does not make me feel better about it. LOL!

I would like to see other examples collectors either have or have seen that the drawing was actual defacement and not an enhancement. I personally cannot think of a situation where a drawing on a hi-grade key book would be a plus. Unless it was small and sort of droll. But even then, it's still a hi-grade key.

Well I mentioned my 8.5, remark by Campbell, maybe he saw that it was high grade and went small?

I asked for a slice of pizza and on the window bag made an example. I put enough painter's tape for the inhouse signing to ask for April from TMNT lol

But I pleaded that if he didnt have time to do pizza

He basically just drew my example lol

But it doesnt seem intrusive for high grad but of course I'm not too sure how much it looks like "pizza" so now that there is an Eastman opportunity I want to request a simple turtle saying PIZZA! lol

I may be over doing it but worth a shot haha

2020_11_18 11_44 AM Office Lens.jpg

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think there was a thread like that if you search, which is why you view still hits home. I can try to see if I can find it. 

Well I mentioned my 8.5, remark by Campbell, maybe he saw that it was high grade and went small?

I asked for a slice of pizza and on the window bag made an example. I put enough painter's tape for the inhouse signing to ask for April from TMNT lol

But it doesnt seem intrusive for high grad but of course I'm not too sure how much it looks like "pizza" so now that there is an Eastman opportunity I want to request a simple turtle saying PIZZA! lol

Right. Now that's droll. That's the difference between trite (Drawing a bat with a sharpie into the moon on #227 and a Batman head cameo, a virtual redundancy) and droll via a slice of pizza on Cambell's first pubbed art and a sig. It's small, recognizable and reasonable. Not a giant Shredder head dominating the cover via paint pen and scribbling "Cowabunga, Dude" all over the cover.

2 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

That's what I was doing and figured people here would know if the seller was a fraud or not. Turns out yes and no. He mentions restoration only as the last line in the listing. I'm sure eBay went up his shaft a couple of times after some complaints. Though that doesn't explain his 100% buyer satisfaction score.

Any seller who 'hides' pertinent information on the last line of his listing is suspect.  Any seller who doesn't disclose restoration, or any significant negative attribute, in the title of the auction is suspect.  That's a clear indication that maximizing the sale price is more important that making sure the buyer is happy.

He's been in the hobby forever and he's been on ebay a long time and he's not a fool.  He's evolved his sales methods over the years and he knows what he has to do to avoid negative feedback.  Many buyers can't grade and they accept his books because they look pretty good.  Some send them to CGC but by the time they come back it's probably too late to force a refund or leave neg feedback.  Some complain about the grade or the restoration and he gives a quick refund to avoid negative feedback.   And I believe ebay is more concerned about sales than policing their site and I'd imagine he can get almost any negative feedback removed by pointing out he discloses restoration (at the bottom of the listing where it might be missed) and he's happy to refund the buyer.

I also suspect he no longer trims or restores books.  He knows they're worth less and he's damaging an asset.  Much more likely he's buying graded restored books and books that present well for the grade and cracking them out and selling them at a higher grade.  Small stain on the back cover that's easy to miss?  Perfect candidate to sell online.

2 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

I also suspect he no longer trims or restores books.  He knows they're worth less and he's damaging an asset.  Much more likely he's buying graded restored books and books that present well for the grade and cracking them out and selling them at a higher grade.  Small stain on the back cover that's easy to miss?  Perfect candidate to sell online.

Right. He who refunds and runs away gets to sell another day. And your point about cracking restored books and selling them raw for a mark up is likely correct. I am sure he isn't doing the restoration work himself. Must be going by the notations. I don't know why I should care, but I hope his potential buyers have done their homework to a degree. He has an HOS #92 that is gorgeous. I wonder what the degree of restoration is on that one. He's asking way too much for it, of course.

22 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Right. He who refunds and runs away gets to sell another day. And your point about cracking restored books and selling them raw for a mark up is likely correct. I am sure he isn't doing the restoration work himself. Must be going by the notations. I don't know why I should care, but I hope his potential buyers have done their homework to a degree. He has an HOS #92 that is gorgeous. I wonder what the degree of restoration is on that one. He's asking way too much for it, of course.

I suspect he tends to avoid restored books now in general.  Easier to pass off unrestored, cracked out books at higher grades than to pass off restored books that could get him burned.  There are at least a few sellers on ebay who crack graded books and upgrade them for ebay and seem to make money.

39 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

I suspect he tends to avoid restored books now in general.  Easier to pass off unrestored, cracked out books at higher grades than to pass off restored books that could get him burned.  There are at least a few sellers on ebay who crack graded books and upgrade them for ebay and seem to make money.

Very strange. I would assume the opposite. His HOS 92 claims slight color touch and a sl tear on the cover. I feel alright about buying hi-grade inexpensive raw books but keys or expensive books have to be in a slab graded. My concern now are the replicas being sold on eBay. I imagine CGC can detect those but an unsavvy buyer may not be able to. What a treat it would be to buy a $3,000 raw "key" and then have CGC tell you "You're HOSED!"

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I wanted to put my two cents in again: I would only have Eastman sign it. Having a turtle drawn in saying "Pizza!" would be getting into "trite" territory IMO. Plus with the neat little slice already drawn by Cambell, it would also be heading into "redundant" territory as well. No offense to you intended, of course. Just my take.

10 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I wanted to put my two cents in again: I would only have Eastman sign it. Having a turtle drawn in saying "Pizza!" would be getting into "trite" territory IMO. Plus with the neat little slice already drawn by Cambell, it would also be heading into "redundant" territory as well. No offense to you intended, of course. Just my take.

I wanted feedback, the wheels are a bit already in motion though, but I do appreciate it

I thought hard originally to ask Eastman to

Draw a simple turtle eating or holding the pizza Campbell drew, to make it a jam piece, but that's just a fancy name to make the pizza more "pizza" and not a triangle with circles

I said to say pizza to give an option, cause I'm not too sure what all I can request with in house signing @Randall Ries

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I thought hard originally to ask Eastman to

Draw a simple turtle eating or holding the pizza Campbell drew, to make it a jam piece, but that's just a fancy name to make the pizza more "pizza" and not a triangle with circles

I said to say pizza to give an option, cause I'm not too sure what all I can request with in house signing @Randall Ries

Yes. I get the feeling you don't see Cambell's drawing of a slice as "pizza". But it looks like a slice to me. I would just worry that it would be overkill and would begin to draw attention away from the actual book itself. It's a nice piece in of itself. I wouldn't want to defeat it with a lot of "graffiti". Next thing you know, you're in Bat 227 country and there is no "givesies backsies". Just my take. Understated is prudent IMO.