• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Digital Media - do consumers 'own' purchased content?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

On 6/6/2023 at 11:47 AM, Bosco685 said:

It was the #1 sales seller for iTunes today. Imagine how much money they just lost.

A steal at $7.99 with eleven (11) 4K movies.

Yup, it’s currently $96.99 on Vudu for comparison as to how crazy of a deal this is. 

This is also happening. So, maybe something is up. $7.99 on iTunes. Usually, around $70.  Not as crazy of a deal as the 30 film collection, but it’s like 88% off.

LEGO DC Shazam Magic and Monsters 9-Film Collection by Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 6/6/2023 at 12:05 PM, awakeintheashes said:

This is also happening. So, maybe something is up. $7.99 on iTunes. Usually, around $70

LEGO DC Shazam Magic and Monsters 9-Film Collection by Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

It's another error that started up this morning. Only two 4K movies in the bundle.

On 6/6/2023 at 12:45 PM, Bosco685 said:

For those that collect digital movies, pounce on this fast before the iTunes team corrects the error.

DC Universe 10th Anniversary Collection (30-movie bundle) - $7.99

Even if you own these movies, the bundle upgrades a bunch of them to 4K if you have iTunes, Movies Anywhere and VUDU linked together.

:whatthe:

Bro!  I just bought the collection.  It’s 30 movies.  You are the man Bosco.

On 6/6/2023 at 12:08 PM, Bosco685 said:

It's another error that started up this morning. Only two 4K movies in the bundle.

Nice part about buying from iTunes is the free 4K upgrade on a lot (not all) of movies when a 4K version is made available. 

On 6/6/2023 at 12:05 PM, awakeintheashes said:

This is also happening. So, maybe something is up. $7.99 on iTunes. Usually, around $70.  Not as crazy of a deal as the 30 film collection, but it’s like 88% off.

Price is now $69.99, good on anyone who got in before the correction. 

The insane deal on the 30-movie bundle is still live…for now. 

On 6/6/2023 at 12:26 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Nice part about buying from iTunes is the free 4K upgrade on a lot (not all) of movies when a 4K version is made available. 

It's a good point, as I have beent taking advantage of the iTunes-to-MA-to-VUDU 4K upgrade for years.

Redeeming 4K Digital Movie Codes Reference List

Example: If you purchase either Kingsman: The Secret Service or Kingsman: The Golden Circle in bluray with a digital code included:

1. If you claim the code on iTunes, it will revert to 4K.

2. If you have Movies Anywhere and VUDU linked to iTunes, they will also accept this as 4K.

Kingsman4K.thumb.PNG.0683d797dc037cef88fc68b74a31d358.PNG

On 6/6/2023 at 5:45 AM, Bosco685 said:

For those that collect digital movies, pounce on this fast before the iTunes team corrects the error.

Even if you own these movies, the bundle upgrades a bunch of them to 4K if you have iTunes, Movies Anywhere and VUDU linked together.

Price is corrected and is now $99.99. Nice catch, @Bosco685

Interesting topic.  I have lost a whole lot of purchased songs on iTunes.  I have lost a few movies when Ultraviolet went away and I had to transition my account to something else (went VUDU).

This has been going on to some degree for a while.  Even Bluray (physical copies) sometimes won't play until you connect your player to the internet and "upgrade" your player software.  Supposedly.  Who knows what they're installing on your device (slightly different topic, my PC recently did a Windows update and I think they put an AI into my computer...  it takes about 30 minutes to start that machine now).  I guess that's not a different topic, as I don't "own" the software that runs my computer.

I am happy buying DVDs for for CHEAP, and if it's a great movie, I'll spend the money to buy a high def version, but I'll STILL own the movie on DVD.  Hell, my Laserdisc player still runs and I can get those discs for 25 cents each.

On 6/6/2023 at 2:47 PM, troy.division said:

No skin in this as I sail the high seas with a 12tb Plex server....BUT...
What is stopping Apple from refunding these purchases and pulling the titles from everyone's iTunes?
(bringing this issue back to the topic that started the thread)

Probably nothing, but also, probably not worth their time. 

This sort of thing happens from time to time. There was a similar issue with a Harry Potter bundle a few years ago. AFAIK no movies were pulled from libraries. 

I recently reconfigured all my phone jacks in my house which were all cat5e into ethernet jacks and hardwired as many devices that have a jack, and I will likely go the Plex server route soon. It's probably the surest way to ensure your physical copies won't get bricked or digital copies (iTunes, MA, Vudu) get removed. 

On 6/6/2023 at 2:59 PM, Yorick said:

Even Bluray (physical copies) sometimes won't play until you connect your player to the internet and "upgrade" your player software.

If this was true, just buy a PlayStation and don't connect it to the internet. My PS3 and PS4 have been disconnected for years and will still play anything without issue.

Edit: Unless you're talking about Regional disc copies. I always make sure to buy Region-Free. It's either 4K or HDR that are inherently Region-Free (right now, at least).

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 6/7/2023 at 4:29 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

If this was true, just buy a PlayStation and don't connect it to the internet. My PS3 and PS4 have been disconnected for years and will still play anything without issue.

Edit: Unless you're talking about Regional disc copies. I always make sure to buy Region-Free. It's either 4K or HDR that are inherently Region-Free (right now, at least).

My most recent Bluray non-play was on a Playstation 3 trying to play Top Gun: Maverick.  Bluray players need software updates.  Not a regional thing.

On 6/7/2023 at 2:28 PM, Yorick said:

My most recent Bluray non-play was on a Playstation 3 trying to play Top Gun: Maverick.  Bluray players need software updates.  Not a regional thing.

Looks like PS3 needed to update to Firmware 1.5 for newer Blu-ray reading. Not sure about PS4.

On 6/6/2023 at 12:45 PM, Bosco685 said:

Well, I still have my collection with the charge of $7.99 despite iTunes realizing their mistake.  Thank you again chocolate syrup man.

What is that anyway?  Like twenty-five cents a movie?

Edited by ▫️

On 6/10/2023 at 10:22 AM, ▫️ said:

Well, I still have my collection with the charge of $7.99 despite iTunes realizing their mistake.  Thank you again chocolate syrup man.

What is that anyway?  Like twenty-five cents a movie?

And with eleven (11) of those movies 4K the financial hit is made worse.

^^

Edited by Bosco685