• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action comics #1 for $1800.00
1 1

47 posts in this topic

Pretty good but why not round off to $1800.00? Why the extra $1.26?

The extra $1.26 was the postage charge to mail it.

Theo refused to include the postage costs in the record-breaking price,

and that is where the odd number comes from.

look at this photo

mitchell1.jpg

he actually touched the book !!

he went so far as to actually crack it open !! 893whatthe.gif

man times have changed....

Where was this photo printed?

Does that look like the picture you saw in the encyclopedia?

look at this photo

mitchell1.jpg

he actually touched the book !!

he went so far as to actually crack it open !! 893whatthe.gif

man times have changed....

Where was this photo printed?

Does that look like the picture you saw in the encyclopedia?

yes!

I've known Mitch for many years.. He's a great guy

Was that his picture in the World book encyclopedia in the early 70's?

73- 74

very cool! I used to look at that picture often! Do you have the article that accompanied the picture?

David

FYI

from the lodi news-sentinel 5/15/73 and publicity from that sale brought out a detective 27 & whiz 2(#1) (1/4/74)...

how times have changed now when people back then believed those were crazy prices paid for comic books!

mehdy1.jpgbatsbook.jpg

robert beerbohm recollects the events...

It was at the Berkeley Con 1973 show where the Reilly collection first surfaced that Bruce Hamilton brought the Action #1 he had just bought from Gene Henderson (board member San Diego Comicon) for a grand. Theo Holstein offered $1500 for it, Bruce turned him down. The SF Examiner wrote up this exchange as well as interviewed me about the show in the Monday newspaper - and Bruce was offered a 2nd Action 31, which is the copy he sold Theo for $1801.26 ($1.26 to mail it).

Mitch Mehdy bought from Theo for what he paid for it. That whole story went AP/UPI all over the country. This was early May 1973 by this point.

Around that same time, the second Reilly relative came into our Berkeley Telegraph Ave comic book store with more comic books. Contained in this batch were Whiz #2 (#1) and the Detective #27.

I called up Burl Rowe, a Houston lawyer for the Hunt Oil company, and offered him the Whiz #2 (#1) for $2000 and the following week, once he had seen the Whiz, i offered him the Tec 27 for $2200

we had been seeing all the publicity Bruce, Theo and Mitch had been getting on the Action #1 for $1801.26, so we contacted the AP/UPI ourselves with the "new" concept of a comi cbook being worth OVER two grand. They ran with it, we got coverage all over the place

within a month or so we had three more Detective 27 copies

those were fun days - and there is way more to this story as well cloud9.gif

best

robert beerbohm

Pretty awesome thread someone posted in the ‘CGC sold’ thread regarding Blackstone, etc. This was probably pretty cool to discuss in 2005 (a 1973 sale) but it’s pretty wild that even 2005 is 16 years ago already!

Guys were debating a couple grand and now we’re in the millions!

Bucket list includes finding a copy of this book in an old dresser, or 2) a 1969 Boss 429 Mustang in a barn somewhere for $500

:cloud9: 

Edited by Iconic1s

1 hour ago, Iconic1s said:

Pretty awesome thread someone posted in the ‘CGC sold’ thread regarding Blackstone, etc. This was probably pretty cool to discuss in 2005 (a 1973 sale) but it’s pretty wild that even 2005 is 16 years ago already!

Guys were debating a couple grand and now we’re in the millions!

Bucket list includes finding a copy of this book in an old dresser, or 2) a 1969 Boss 429 Mustang in a barn somewhere for $500

:cloud9: 

the DOW has gone up almost 5x since 1998...  about 6.8% cagr per year.

Figure if this is an 8.5.... $1,800 to $3.25M is a cagr of 22.8%.  Yeah, I'm kinda surprised by that too.

Edited by path4play