• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action comics #1 for $1800.00
1 1

47 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, fishbone said:

he doesn't share which books he has ...... I've called him out on this, and he gave a reasonable answer regarding privacy/risk of robbery/etc., so I don't think we'll get the answer here

At one point, I remember him saying he didn't have this copy anymore. He sold it a few years after the original purchase. 

Regardless, I'm thankful Mitch shares his experience and knowledge with us.  I love that at 18 in the early 70s he was so enthusiastic about comics that he would buy a comic worth more than his car. And nearly 50 years later, he's still just as passionate, discussing the markets and the future of the hobby.  

I can appreciate his desire for privacy. 

12 hours ago, fishbone said:

he doesn't share which books he has ...... I've called him out on this, and he gave a reasonable answer regarding privacy/risk of robbery/etc., so I don't think we'll get the answer here

Privacy as a motive for silence makes sense until you consider that he posts all the time here about having books.  Fear of Robbery also makes sense until, again, if you're saying publicly you have a lot of valuable books, your average robber isn't going to make a decision to rob or not to rob based on the presence of some particular books in particular grades.  The words "valuable comics" are all the robber needs.  So what else could it be.  Well, if Mitch publicizes what books he has then he's gonna know that if and whenever he puts any up for public sale, he will have to do so knowing people's response to that knowledge is mercurial.  Sometimes people on the boards will heap praise on books in the apparent desire to see them get high bids.  And sometimes the consignors might as well have smeared gravy on the books and thrown them into a pack of ravening wolves.  So, for all the reasons one might wish to hold books close to the vest, that one makes the most sense to me.

Edited by bluechip

On 7/8/2021 at 1:42 AM, bluechip said:

Privacy as a motive for silence makes sense until you consider that he posts all the time here about having books.  Fear of Robbery also makes sense until, again, if you're saying publicly you have a lot of valuable books, your average robber isn't going to make a decision to rob or not to rob based on the presence of some particular books in particular grades.  The words "valuable comics" are all the robber needs.  So what else could it be.  Well, if Mitch publicizes what books he has then he's gonna know that if and whenever he puts any up for public sale, he will have to do so knowing people's response to that knowledge is mercurial.  Sometimes people on the boards will heap praise on books in the apparent desire to see them get high bids.  And sometimes the consignors might as well have smeared gravy on the books and thrown them into a pack of ravening wolves.  So, for all the reasons one might wish to hold books close to the vest, that one makes the most sense to me.

excellent point .... but I actually feel the "gravy" gets thrown on auctioned key books on here regardless of whether consignor is known or not;  it is a favourite pastime of many on these Boards over the years I've noticed

Edited by fishbone