• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE: Desert Wind / Celestial Comics damaging and losing/stealing books
6 6

139 posts in this topic

On 6/8/2023 at 11:50 PM, thehumantorch said:

what's a mold book?

On 6/9/2023 at 9:17 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

:popcorn:

Long story short.  CGC Board member gave me his blessing to post an account.

He submitted the book and it was mishandled by Desert Wind.  He got the back and forth from Desert Wind.  One day he discovered there was mold growing on the book.   While we were walking around NYCC he showed me the book.  (Which basically narrows his identity down to one of about four people here.).  I had my suspicions as to what happened so I asked if I could borrow the book and bring it over to CGC while he was waiting on a signing.  I spoke to CGC and then later myself and the other boardie spoke with someone who is higher up on the CGC food chain.   He leaned toward the possibility of my assessment (using my words carefully) of what probably happened. 

The book had signs of blunt force crumpling along the corner and the spine.  It looked like Desert Wind damaged the book by dropping it and then crumpling that area.  Then they had the book pressed which was outside the board member's instruction to cover the damage up.  Whoever did the press job did a terrible job, did not completely dry the book after steaming it or whatever they did and then fast tracked it through CGC.  The book then started to grow mold along the edges of the book.

It is important to note that no other book in the owner's collection had mold on any of his raw or graded books. 

These are his pictures. (duh dum - felt there needed to be a law and order thing there for some reason) 

CGC did not like what they saw and took the book back at no charge and had it cleaned and pressed by CGC and then returned to the rightful owner. 

IMG_9033 copy.JPG

IMG_1450.jpg

59188030625__53BEC9A3-D1D3-4861-84CC-22B1450663C2.jpg

On 6/9/2023 at 2:18 PM, Buzzetta said:

He submitted the book and it was mishandled by Desert Wind.  He got the back and forth from Desert Wind.  One day he discovered there was mold growing on the book.   While we were walking around NYCC he showed me the book.  (Which basically narrows his identity down to one of about four people here.).  I had my suspicions as to what happened so I asked if I could borrow the book and bring it over to CGC while he was waiting on a signing.  I spoke to CGC and then later myself and the other boardie spoke with someone who is higher up on the CGC food chain.   He leaned toward the possibility of my assessment (using my words carefully) of what probably happened. 

The book had signs of blunt force crumpling along the corner and the spine.  It looked like Desert Wind damaged the book by dropping it and then crumpling that area.  Then they had the book pressed which was outside the board member's instruction to cover the damage up.  Whoever did the press job did a terrible job, did not completely dry the book after steaming it or whatever they did and then fast tracked it through CGC.  The book then started to grow mold along the edges of the book.

It is important to note that no other book in the owner's collection had mold on any of his raw or graded books. 

These are his pictures. (duh dum - felt there needed to be a law and order thing there for some reason) 

CGC did not like what they saw and took the book back at no charge and had it cleaned and pressed by CGC and then returned to the rightful owner. 

IMG_9033 copy.JPG

IMG_1450.jpg

That’s not cool at all 🤢

On 6/9/2023 at 12:18 PM, Buzzetta said:

IMG_9033 copy.JPG

IMG_1450.jpg

Moldy  oldie

On 6/9/2023 at 6:36 PM, thehumantorch said:

Didn't he move on to real estate sales after his extraordinarily and legendary comic career?   

Housing demand has risen while the supply continues to be short here on Long Island.  You have to have some pretty big bucks just to buy a fixer upper right now and the risk is still pretty high.  This is a house on my parent's block.  Things might be going crazy again which is not good as far as I am concerned.  The house was purchased and remodeled.  I looked at the photos and they put in a new floor, fresh coat of paint in most rooms and maybe sheet rocked a room. 

I redacted the MLS number. 

Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 6.55.05 PM.png

On 6/9/2023 at 10:44 PM, mattn792 said:

Each listing photo of the bathroom(s) features him on the toilet.

I tried to link the IG commercial here but I can only send it to other IG accounts.   I commented using my "comics" name. 

On 6/9/2023 at 10:56 PM, Buzzetta said:

I tried to link the IG commercial here but I can only send it to other IG accounts.   I commented using my "comics" name. 

I looked on his comicdylan IG account but didn’t see any commercials.  Does he have another account?

On 6/10/2023 at 12:11 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

I looked on his comicdylan IG account but didn’t see any commercials.  Does he have another account?

If you want send me a message to “buzzetta_comics” on IG and I can share it there if you want.   I can take screen shots.  Some of the comments are… unnecessarily brutal some are warranted. 

On 6/9/2023 at 10:13 AM, Robot Man said:

I have never met Chandler or done any business with him. But I used to work with his ex wife. She told me when I mentioned I was a comic collector. She told me some stories about him which I won’t post here. Some actually pretty funny.  Needless to say, she didn’t like him much…

Chandler was a great guy but not his wife who is still managing the money that she IS NOT very good at.

I trusted him but not everyone.