• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying Raw PreScreen
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am starting a Batman comic collection and in time want to have a large slabbed collection. Is it best to purchase lots of what appear to be NM issues from Ebay and other sources and send larger pre screen bundles to CGC in the hopes to get 9.8s or wait and cough the money for the already slabbed copies?

As an example buying the Batman Hush issues from that storyline could be cheaper to buy multiple completed lots and send 25 plus books to CGC to get 9.8s vs buying the individual 9.8s. 

Just wondering if other people have decided to do similar with raw issues to grade and if you ultimately find it more worth while to completing your collection? I have had NM issues arrive and some don't meet what I would scrutinize as 9.8 which ends up meaning more purchases.

Many people wait until they have enough in one submission for pre-screens.  But of course you should screen yourself first.  If they’re not essentially perfect to you, there’s no reason to submit them at all.

but as stated, eBay is quite an adventure and you might end up paying for a bunch of comics that don’t make the grade that you don’t want. Most Batman comics are available for purchase in CGC 9.8 relatively commonly

but everyone has their own collection preferences, goals, financial situations, etc.  

do what’s right for you, good luck

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If you're hellbent on 9.8s, just buy them already-graded.

There are some services out there where you can pre-order 9.8s.  There's of course the odd issue where the entire shipment is damaged and the provider is unable guarantee a 9.8 for all their customers, but otherwise seems like the best bet.

I think Twin Cities Comics once provided this service, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.