• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Light scuffing = 8.0? Done with CGC
5 5

354 posts in this topic

Guaranty is a noun person place or thing

Guarantee is a noun and/or a verb

When using legal writing they may enter into a guaranty meaning the person place or thing responsible for the "promise" 

Legality is all about a responsibility liability, a breach of that promise then would go on to prove the loss of the action of the guarantee @kav @Hollywood1892

One is an action but also doesn't put the responsibility as it's just an action you still be looking for the guaranty that made the guarantee

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Guaranty is a noun person place or thing

Guarantee is a noun and/or a verb

When using legal writing they may enter into a guaranty meaning the person place or thing responsible for the "promise" 

Legality is all about a responsibility liability, a breach of that promise then would go on to prove the loss of the action of the guarantee @kav @Hollywood1892

One is an action but also doesn't put the responsibility as it's just an action you still be looking for the guaranty that made the guarantee

Already tried that one.

Like if you're the

Dumper or the dumpie

Dumper responsible and doing action

Dumpie the action verb happens to any circumstances involved 

Guaranty = dumper

Guarantee is the action that happened to any circumstances involved 

Maybe this will clarify the issue @Hollywood1892
Lets say CGC gives you a 9.6.  Who do you go to to determine it is actually a 9.8, and CGC must now change the grade to back up their 'guarantee'?

On 11/21/2020 at 8:03 PM, D2 said:

I was also wondering what had happened. 

I actually thought I missed his pic post and went through all 7 pages of this damn thread... only to be pleasantly surprised that the topic was just filled with you guys joking around. 

so not an entire loss. Lol

wrong.gif

2 hours ago, kav said:

@Hollywood1892

Guarantee, the broader and more common term, is both a verb and a noun. The narrower term, guaranty, today appears mostly in banking and other financial contexts; it seldom appears in nonlegal writing.

Guarantee, vb. 1. To assure that a promise will be kept {the coach guaranteed that every boy on the team would play at least one inning}. 2. To agree to answer for another’s unpaid debt or other unfulfilled obligation {the father guaranteed his son’s car loan}. 3. To state with confidence {I guarantee that our client will be pleased with the settlement offer}.

Guarantee, n. The promise that an act will be carried out or a condition will be fulfilled {I will give you a written guarantee that the brief will be filed on time}.

Guaranty, n. The promise to pay the debt or fulfill the obligation of another if that person fails to do so {the father signed a guaranty for his son’s car loan}.

Guaranty formerly functioned also as a verb—a variant of guarantee—but that form is now obsolete. Guaranty should now be used only in its modern legal sense, as a noun.

Guarantor, n. 1. One who makes a guaranty {the father was the guarantor on his son’s loan}. 2. One who guarantees {the company prides itself as a guarantor of outstanding customer service}.

You may assume that if a guarantor is one who guarantees, then the person receiving that promise must be the guarantee, in the pattern of other such correlative pairs as lessorlessee and offerorofferee. And you’d be right. But historically, guarantee was also used as a synonym of guarantor, further muddying the waters surrounding this word. Conceivably, under those conditions, a guarantee [the person promising] could guarantee [promise] a 

product to the guarantee [person to whom the promise is made], who would then rely on that guarantee [the promise]. (Try enforcing that contract in court.)

The best way to avoid this sort of incomprehensible gibberish is to use guaranteein its noun sense to refer only to the promise made, never to the parties involved. And since this leaves guarantor without a passive correlative, instead call the parties by their names (Richards and Smith), which are always clear in the hands of a competent writer. Such -ee / -or pairs are too easily conflated anyway.
https://abovethelaw.com/career-files/lawprose-lesson-121-whats-the-difference-between-guarantee-and-guaranty/

There's also the anti-oxidant Guaran Tea! 

guarant.png

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

There's also the anti-oxidant Guaran Tea! 

guarant.png

you're not helping! :makepoint:

Just now, kav said:

you're not helping! :makepoint:

Ok. Maybe this will help. I didn't read the entire thread word for word so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned that CGC absolutely does guarantee several things. Now I don't have any older label slabbed books where I am now, but the older labels used to bear text stating that CGC guarantees a minimum of 3 graders will assess your book, 2 graders and a finalizing grader. It further explained that the book would be examined for restoration. Also they guaranteed that it was a comic (redundant, right?). That's three things they guaranteed. What CGC also stated on that label was something to the effect that although a best faith effort was made to grade the book and to perform the resto check, those two processes were not guaranteed. In other words, they can be subject to error, like anybody else on earth. 

Now I don't know if that still is CGC's stance because the newer labels don't have that on the back and I don't recall seeing it on the back of a label for quite some time. But that is three guarantees made at one time that might still or might not be in effect, it just was never that important to me to find out for sure if still in effect. 

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Ok. Maybe this will help. I didn't read the entire thread word for word so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned that CGC absolutely does guarantee several things. Now I don't have any older label slabbed books where I am now, but the older labels used to bear text stating that CGC guarantees a minimum of 3 graders will assess your book, 2 graders and a finalizing grader. It further explained that the book would be examined for restoration. Also they guaranteed that it was a comic (redundant, right?). That's three things they guaranteed. What CGC also stated on that label was something to the effect that although a best faith effort was made to grade the book and to perform the resto check, those two processes were not guaranteed. In other words, they can be subject to error, like anybody else on earth. 

Now I don't know if that still is CGC's stance because the newer labels don't have that on the back and I don't recall seeing it on the back of a label for quite some time. But that is three guarantees made at one time that might still or might not be in effect, it just was never that important to me to find out for sure if still in effect. 

That was in writing somewhere? "We at CGC guarantee the following-"

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

Yes. That actual wording, I'll find the right label and copy. 

Not that any of this will help ol Holly-he says they guarantee the grade.

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

"CGC guarantees this book to be genuine and inspected by a minimum of one pre-grader and  two graders. The assigned grade represents our opinion and grading is subjective". 

which is entirely separate from the word 'guaranty' in their name if I'm not mistaken.  My understanding is 'guaranty' in this context relates to a third party making an assessment about an item.

Edited by kav

6 minutes ago, kav said:

Not that any of this will help ol Holly-he says they guarantee the grade.

They guarantee that the book will be assessed by three graders in this particular label back text. They do not guarantee the grade. They word it in a way to leave no mistaken impression that their assessment isn't anything other than an opinion and that grading and their opinion is subjective. 

Edited by James J Johnson