• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree books appeal?

41 posts in this topic

I've never seen anything below 9.0 in the Western PA collection, that includes a few pre 65 books that I've seen so my guess is anything pre-1965 (whatever it may be) is very very nice..

Brian

Tom, I agree that the Winnipeg markings may turn off some hi-end collectors. Was just making a general comment to the hi-rollers out there that think UNrestored silver Marvel or DC keys at 8.0 or 8.5 are not desirable. The reality is collectors will buy the best they can afford. At today's prices, very few hardcore ASM fans can frown.gif afford an UNrestored ASM #1 or AF 15 cgc 8.5 to complete his run?

Sure, it's all about price and the value you place on it. I'm not a pedigree buyer by any stretch, but if a Winnipeg was offered at a price commensurate with the defects, I'd nab it.

The problem is, most of these defaced pedigrees were initially purchased too high, and the buyer is usually trying to make a profit.

.....pedigree books are now in direct competition with high grade cgc books........and it seems that a lot of them just can't live up to their press........

...what are the odds of one collection containing a pure run of cgc 9.4 and up books.......?

.......with the advent of cgc their is now a higher supply of reliably unrestored high grade books...............

IMHO, the Gaines file copies, which were personal copies from Bill Gaines, are the ultimate comics collectible. Not only was Gaines a comics visionary, he was literally the scion of the inventor of the modern comic book. In addition, he was certifiably psychiatrically classifiable with obsessive-compulsive disorder. This should endear him to all collectors, who share at least a component of this trait in personality. Edgar Church was just a guy who lived in Colorado who liked to look at line drawings, and was also likely certifiably obsessive compulsive. I'm also a fan of Dell file copies, which were warehouse publisher files. To me, those books that bear witness to comic book creators are cooler than the Mile High books. The Wendell Crowley file copies, especially those that Crowley edited, are to my mind, nearly as cool as the Gaines books. In addition, those copies that were registered at the Library of Congress, or used as exhibits for legal proceedings, carry a cachet that other pedigrees do not. Then again, I'm just one voice. Some people like to look at 50 year comics that appear to be newsstand fresh. Most of the Mile High books have that appeal. Then again, very few newsstand fresh books have tears sealed with glue or "slight color touch". Some of the Mile High books do. Oops, my logorrhea is showing again.

Having never seen a Gaines file copy up front and in real life until recently, I would have to agree. I've been used to seeing ECs in VF at best and these books don't seem real!

the Winnipeg bks r in a hi-state of preservation considering in came fr a Canadian wasteland that gets over 8 feet of snow in winter.

Actually that isn;t a bad environment. It beats my old Boston weather when it would hit the high 90's or low hundreds with ultra-high (muggy) humidity! grin.gif

HI All: I helped the buyer of the Western Pa Collection sell many of the books in the late 80's thru ads in the CBG. The collection encompassed Golden Age as well as Silver. The Golden Age books sold first to recoup his intial investment. The books that he decided to sell next were runs of DC's Atom, Aquaman, Hawkman and Sea Devils. He was and still is a big Marvel Fan. As his interests evolved he sold the Marvels many of which are owned by the 3 amigoes. I am a DC collector and was very fortunate and kept some of the keys. Many of the books trade in private transactions between high grade collectors as quoted " guys with more money than sense " . I would be happy to upload some scans of the few books that I have kept, to this thread, but need a little help with the particulars. Like how to do it.

Best

Plz read the FAQ list. U will probably need to scan your covers onto your hard drive. Then use FTP file transfer protocol software to upload your pics to your own website or web host space. If u follow the advice found in the FAQ, u should be able to build links to some of your pedigree cover pics to this forum. Good luck. smile.gif

Hi Brian: All the Marvels were there AF 15, Avengers 1up, ASM 1up, Daredevil 1up,

FF 1 up, X-men 1 up ETC. All complete and in ultra high grade. The original owner was a collector as well as his father, hence the Golden age books. In the first grouping of books that I submitted to CGC was a GL 40 ( 9.4 White Pages ). I didn't know that the collection of books had been dubbed the Western Penn. Someday I'll resubmit it and have it added to the label.

Best

PS: I'm still working on uploading some images. I'll try again later!

Interesting, those are very very nice books..I'm almost contemplating seeing if I can find some more pre-100 ASM western PAs. Do you know who the guy is that sells as "WesternPAComics"? Original owner or the purchaser?

Brian

Not all of the Winnipegs have names on the covers. The AS #14 from this collection did not have a name. However I was one of three collectors who got to see a lot of the collection before it was distributed. I've also owned some of the books as a dealer from this collection. Pre-CGC this was the deadest pedigree because of the "Name" on the cover. I sold the books back to the person who sold them to me, he got them graded and made a killing because people focused on the grade, not the book. With Dan it has always been about seeing the book versus what he graded it. I've purchased a lot of nice books from him and believe it or not he can grade when he actually takes a book out of the mylar! But spending millions of dollars a year takes a lot out of you so grading suffers smile.gif. A better collection that wasn't a pedigree was the Golden State collection he purchased right after the Winnipegs. Lots of nice books, the AS #40 from that collection graded 9.6.

I like the Winnipeg pedigree because Winnipeg is near my ol' hometown of Duluth, Minnesota, and I can just see Dennis up there in the hinterlands collecting his comics while the snow piles up around his house. Slightest hint of romance there...(not with Dennis in particular, of course.)

I own two Winnipegs, a FF #28 and a (just recently purchased from Comiclink) Tales of Suspense #57. Both are in excellent condition (eye appeal included) and neither have any writing on them, which is what I look for FIRST when I see the Winnipeg label. As far as pedigrees go, I might pay a little extra for a nice pedigree vs. non-pedigree just because I truly enjoy the history of comic book collecting as much as my own immediate collection. In addition, even some "lower grade" pedigrees (8.0 to 9.0) have eye appeal that is superior to many 9.2's and 9.4's I've seen from CGC. So as usual - buy the book, not the grade, and if it's a pedigree as well I think it's a small bonus (if only for a sense of historical connection to another comic enthusiast.)

Dan Drummond

mad.gif (I'm not mad, just love this icon!)

Attachments on this board are limited to something like 70-80kb. That may explain why your picures do not display. In order for you to display a reasonable sized image with enough resolution, you will need to use FTP (File Transfer Protocol). You can download a free FTP program called WSFTP. Upload your pictures to a server (most ISP's give away 3-5mb of disk space to users) and point to your pictures using an "href" HTML command.

It would be (a href="http://www.yourwebsite.com/image.jpg")Name or description(/a)

Substitute "(" above with "<" and ")" with ">".

Ted