• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats *the* comic convention to go to next year?

64 posts in this topic

Controversial topic i know but....

whats the biggest and best comic con to go to over the calendar year?

Being in the UK i cant really do them all so i'd like to go somewhere i can obviously spend time doing other things at as well ( sorry about that laugh.gif )

And...maybe a stupid question, has Stan Lee done any signings where CGC have been there? I'd like to get a book signed and SS'd

Cheerso!

Angouleme in France has a show in January that rivals SD for size and scale.

Interesting 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Certainly cheaper than going to the states. I like baguettes too cloud9.gif

The accent is firmly on European comics, so I recommend taking an interest in such things before making the trip. wink.gif

Angouleme in France has a show in January that rivals SD for size and scale.

Interesting 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Certainly cheaper than going to the states. I like baguettes too cloud9.gif

The accent is firmly on European comics, so I recommend taking an interest in such things before making the trip. wink.gif

foreheadslap.gif

San Diego....the mother ship of all cons

Will be making my first journey there next year smile.gif

I`m hoping to make my first trip there next year too. For anyone making a trip from overseas, San Diego has the added benefit of being a fantastic vacation destination in and of itself, so you can tack on a real vacation to your visit to the Con. Chicago, on the other hand... The only reason to go there would be for the Con. Nobody goes to Chicago unless they`re from there. poke2.gif

San Diego....the mother ship of all cons

Will be making my first journey there next year smile.gif

I`m hoping to make my first trip there next year too. For anyone making a trip from overseas, San Diego has the added benefit of being a fantastic vacation destination in and of itself, so you can tack on a real vacation to your visit to the Con. Chicago, on the other hand... The only reason to go there would be for the Con. Nobody goes to Chicago unless they`re from there. poke2.gif

Or has relatives living there stooges.gif

People might disagree,but I think SD has long passed its peak. Its become so diverse,that I don't think it offers true value for comic fans.

The Chi-town show is the place to buy books,SD is where you can get a tan,meet the most forumites, and gawk at the strangest fans.

An interesting wildcard this year might be the NYC show scheduled for late Feb. Evidently the promoters are trying a new concept for

a comic convention. No dealers room.

Are the strip joints there better than Montreal poke2.gif

Tough call.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

that would be tough (besting Montreal)............ sumo.gif

the women just walking the streets in Montreal were the most uniformly good-looking females i have seen anywhere in the world (and i've done a decent bit of traveling)........ cloud9.gif

i was with 5 other old geezer buds for a long weekend, and everyone had whiplash from spining their heads so much................. grin.gif

Although I agree that Chicago is the better place to buy comics, I would still have to strongly recommend San Diego as THE comic con to go to. SD is just a total experience. If you could care less about anything other than buying old comics, then sure, go to Chicago. But if you want an extravaganza where you can attend any of hundreds of panels, indulge in your choice of multi-media, see by far the largest amount of publisher displays, etc... I could go on forever. San Diego is THE place to go unless all you care about is buying books, which I know for most of us is the #1 reason to go to a con, but if you like everything else as well, Chicago does not even compare to SD.