• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats *the* comic convention to go to next year?

64 posts in this topic

San Diego....the mother ship of all cons

Will be making my first journey there next year smile.gif

I *hope* to go next year. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Don't try too hard. gossip.gif

yeahok.gif
you either. gossip.gif
frown.gif

yeahok.gif
you either. gossip.gif
frown.gif

unless we go back and see what's-her-name again.

yeahok.gif
you either. gossip.gif
frown.gif

Mandy? hail.gif

yeahok.gif
you either. gossip.gif
frown.gif

Mandy? hail.gif
oh yeah...Mandy.... cloud9.gif

Chicago, on the other hand... The only reason to go there would be for the Con. Nobody goes to Chicago unless they`re from there. poke2.gif

mad.gif What about the Italian Beef and Hot Dogs?!? Christo_pull_hair.gif

There`s definitely good food in Chicago. Hence all the huge, overweight people. poke2.gif

Chicago`s an okay town once you`re there. But if I was putting a list of the 50 top places in the US to go for a visitor from overseas, it wouldn`t make the list. confused-smiley-013.gif

As for Chicago being the best "pure" comic convention compared to SD, I can`t say because I`ve been to neither, but let`s say a prominent Chicagoan board member has confessed to me that the Chicago con is not all it`s cracked up to be for getting the best books and he`s going to try very hard to make it to SD to make sure he get first shot at some really nice books for his collection.

As for Chicago being the best "pure" comic convention compared to SD, I can`t say because I`ve been to neither, but let`s say a prominent Chicagoan board member has confessed to me that the Chicago con is not all it`s cracked up to be for getting the best books and he`s going to try very hard to make it to SD to make sure he get first shot at some really nice books for his collection.

There's some truth to this. Most of what you see in Chicago is what we pawed through in SD and decided not to buy.

Best Con from dealers perspective-

Selling-SD

Buying-Chicago

Having Fun in the city-SD

wackiest costumes at a show-Mega Con

Really pretty/fun/friendly/good food city-San Francisco, Philadelphia, SD and NYC

Best small show-Any Big Apple- dealers are comparable to SD in terms of depth of inventory and guest lists are amazing.

Why isn't there a Montreal show? Just got back-love that city.

What did one of the forumites mean when he said the Feb NY Javits show doesn't have a dealer room? I'll be there!

VZ

People might disagree,but I think SD has long passed its peak. Its become so diverse,that I don't think it offers true value for comic fans.

The Chi-town show is the place to buy books,SD is where you can get a tan,meet the most forumites, and gawk at the strangest fans.

An interesting wildcard this year might be the NYC show scheduled for late Feb. Evidently the promoters are trying a new concept for

a comic convention. No dealers room.

What do you mean about the NYC show?

They should have a convention in Glasgow. Deep fried mars bars all the way! acclaim.gif

Yeah, I'm sure that'd be a major draw. yeahok.gif

There used to be a convention in Glasgow, but it was before your time. It was organized by the people who did UKCAC and was called GLASCAC.

Never went to it though.

They should have a convention in Glasgow. Deep fried mars bars all the way! acclaim.gif

There used to be a convention in Glasgow, but it was before your time. It was organized by the people who did UKCAC and was called GLASCAC.

Never went to it though.

Which was known in the business as simply 'cack'... poke2.gif

Never went to it though.

Which was known in the business as simply 'cack'... poke2.gif

From what I was told this was definitely the case, but amazingly it lasted for years. Go figure.

San Diego-bound in 2007! (Hopefully.) It's easier for me than for some in that I have family in the area -- no hotel costs.

The biggest conventions I've ever been to were the much-derided HobbyStar Boston shows a few years sgo (although I got some nice deals there). WizardWorld Boston will probably top those, just in terms of the whole experience.