• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling collection/ clueless
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Hi, My husband and I just found his stash in a plastic bin that we have moved around every time we bought a house. I just started to look through it and there might be some that are valuable to collectors. Obviously completely clueless here, he said his roomate was into collecting and he just tagged along with him buying some pieces. These are all 1988 and everything from Spiderman to Superman and Batman. I am not even sure where to start. I have looked on ebay but prices are all over the place depending on condition. It's just too overwhelming to be honest. What would be the fastest and best way to offload this? Are there any collectors here that would be interested? I can send really good iphone photos w natural light but not going to go through the trouble of grading it and sending it in. It might be a good opportunity to collaborate with some of you who are a lot more knowledgeable than me. 

Lay them out and take a big picture, then take a few pictures of smaller groupings.  Post the whole lot on an eBay auction.  

Hey Glaz - I'm a newbie on this site as well, but am a bit more experienced of a collector.  

I'm sort of trying to do the same as you, but I'm just trying to down-size, and it's just as tough.   My comics are all probably in the highest grades where a 9.6 or a 9.8 is night and day.  A 9.8 might sell for $300, and a 9.4 might sell for $45.

I think the biggest kicker is finding out after the fact you got hosed.  Which has happened to all of us.  It's just "how much" did we get hosed by, and was it self-inflicted?

Auction is probably the best bet, as the comic hunters will jump on each other to try to get a bargain, and will set a "quasi-fair" price for bulk buy "dice roll".   The other route is to pull out the "key" issues, and then examine them super careful, and if corners are sharp, comics are super-flat and light reflects off them with no defects... The you can see if you think it's worth the hassle to sell them one or two at a time.

Otherwise, sometimes just spreading them out and sending a good photo to someone who knows comics well can at least see some covers that will ring a bell for them. 

Cheers.  Rob.

PS - As a side question for everyone else here and the moderator - is it ok to post comics for sale on this site?  Is it okay to review and make offers?  I just wouldn't want to break any rules if I offered to look at someone else's comics... or sold some of mine that I'm downsizing?

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Rob Pashko said:

Hey Glaz - I'm a newbie on this site as well, but am a bit more experienced of a collector.  

I'm sort of trying to do the same as you, but I'm just trying to down-size, and it's just as tough.   My comics are all probably in the highest grades where a 9.6 or a 9.8 is night and day.  A 9.8 might sell for $300, and a 9.4 might sell for $45.

I think the biggest kicker is finding out after the fact you got hosed.  Which has happened to all of us.  It's just "how much" did we get hosed by, and was it self-inflicted?

Auction is probably the best bet, as the comic hunters will jump on each other to try to get a bargain, and will set a "quasi-fair" price for bulk buy "dice roll".   The other route is to pull out the "key" issues, and then examine them super careful, and if corners are sharp, comics are super-flat and light reflects off them with no defects... The you can see if you think it's worth the hassle to sell them one or two at a time.

Otherwise, sometimes just spreading them out and sending a good photo to someone who knows comics well can at least see some covers that will ring a bell for them. 

Cheers.  Rob.

PS - As a side question for everyone else here and the moderator - is it ok to post comics for sale on this site?  Is it okay to review and make offers?  I just wouldn't want to break any rules if I offered to look at someone else's comics... or sold some of mine that I'm downsizing?

Hi there, we do have a few boards that are specifically for sales only posts. You should look for those. Also we have rules pinned to the top of many boards so you can read those over to know what is appropriate and what is not allowed.

Thanks!

• Administrator
On 12/1/2020 at 3:02 PM, phen21 said:

I just upgraded to Premium service.  How is the credit applied?

The credit is automatically added to your account. You will not see the credit when you go to check out but once we go to bill your CC we first check for any credits and apply those first. Hope this helps!

2 minutes ago, AshleyHabedank said:

Hi there, we do have a few boards that are specifically for sales only posts. You should look for those. Also we have rules pinned to the top of many boards so you can read those over to know what is appropriate and what is not allowed.

Thanks!

Thanks!   I'm glad I asked.   I'll look for that area...

On 12/7/2020 at 3:12 PM, glazajd said:

Hi, My husband and I just found his stash in a plastic bin that we have moved around every time we bought a house. I just started to look through it and there might be some that are valuable to collectors. Obviously completely clueless here, he said his roomate was into collecting and he just tagged along with him buying some pieces. These are all 1988 and everything from Spiderman to Superman and Batman. I am not even sure where to start. I have looked on ebay but prices are all over the place depending on condition. It's just too overwhelming to be honest. What would be the fastest and best way to offload this? Are there any collectors here that would be interested? I can send really good iphone photos w natural light but not going to go through the trouble of grading it and sending it in. It might be a good opportunity to collaborate with some of you who are a lot more knowledgeable than me. 

Take some pics of the books spread out on a table and post them here and that'll help us value the collection.

On 12/7/2020 at 5:12 PM, glazajd said:

Just look for this book

Numerous sites can give you an idea of graded books

Even though your books aren't graded, at least you will have an idea of what book you have

Try 

Gocollect.com

20201113_161125~3.jpg

1 hour ago, Rob Pashko said:

Cheers.  Rob.

Read the sales rules and then post in the correct sub-forum.  GLWTS.

Comics Market - Forum Only Selling Area - CGC Comic Book Collectors Chat Boards (cgccomics.com)

14 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Hmmm....I don't think I'd be handing out that type of advice without actually looking at the product....plenty of decent books came out of the 80s. I would have reserved my opinion

I agree that it would be a fool's errand to provide advice with limited knowledge.

*cough*

11 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I agree that it would be a fool's errand to provide advice with limited knowledge.

*cough*

Glad you are seeing things my way. I'm just saying it's better to provide actual facts, you agree right?

Though that is the second time you have used that quote in response to something I've said

Edited by Hollywood1892

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Glad you are seeing things my way. I'm just saying it's better to provide actual facts, you agree right?

Though that is the second time you have used that quote in response to something I've said

If you think that my last response sees things "your way", then why are you confused by my initial piece of advice? It's factually correct, and corroborates an idea another member suggested.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus
Grammatical error.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

If you think that my last response sees things "your way", then why are you confused by my initial piece of advise? It's factually correct, and corroborates an idea another member suggested.

I'm confused by your *advice because you said there is unlikely to be any gems, but one of the hottest books currently selling came out of the 80s. I just wanted to enlighten her to this possibility

I hope you aren't offended, as that was not my intent.

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

I'm confused by your *advice because you said there is unlikely to be any gems, but one of the hottest books currently selling came out of the 80s. I just wanted to enlighten her to this possibility

I hope you aren't offended, as that was not my intent.

An exception to a rule would be a proper premise to use the term "unlikely". Shall I congratulate you for finding 1 book of value - that they may or may not own - that validates my advice?

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

An exception to a rule would be a proper premise to use the term "unlikely". Shall I congratulate you for finding 1 book of value - that they may or may not own - that validates my advice?

This isn't about us....

This is about providing proper advice...I understand the intent, but rather then even saying "unlikely" you could have just offered the places to look