• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mount Rushmore of Comic Artists
4 4

196 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Agreed, but I remember from some Modern thread that there’s a coalition of boardies who contend that everyone in the 90’s including McFarlane were copying Michael Golden and Art Adams. We’ve got to get those guys in here to liven it up. Blanking on who it was.

I would probably be scared if you invited those guys to the party.  :whatthe:

1 minute ago, PopKulture said:

Okay, with that trespass into utter obscurity, are you sure we're not jogging things from your memory that you'll need later on?? :baiting:

memory is one of the 3 most important things-I forget what the other 2 are.

Alright, I’ll put us back on topic and throw a wrench in the mix....we’ve named no women, and there are very few in Comics art history, but if I argued one it would be Wendy Pini for pioneering the independent Comics movement and introducing the manga style to the U.S.audience.

7 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Alright, I’ll put us back on topic and throw a wrench in the mix....we’ve named no women, and there are very few in Comics art history, but if I argued one it would be Wendy Pini for pioneering the independent Comics movement and introducing the manga style to the U.S.audience.

I thought about Tarpe Mills of Miss Fury; it's the kind of thing where I am thinking of direct or indirect influence and though Mills was ahead of her time, her influence was felt much later in retrospect

52 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

But... but... but... since Mount Rushmore is in America that sort of implies American artists. You're taking advantage of a technicality!! :slapfight:

p.s. Yeah, Barks is da man! (thumbsu

Keep talking like that and I'll replaced Barks with Hergé, whose Tin Tin was an obvious massive influence on Barks storytelling and artistry. ;)

Edited by miraclemet

To be fair, I haven't read that or that character previously simply due to a genuine lack of interest in supporting anything Marvel does outside of picking up specific collected editions. But I completely trust your judgment my friend. I feel like anything Marvel does is glorified fan-fiction at this point and a constant re-hash of older storylines. I remember saying to a friend that one day, Marvel would re-do 'Acts of Vengeance' and thought he was joking when he informed me that they, in fact, just did. I guess an 'Evolutionary War' event is right around the corner then. 

10 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

To be fair, I haven't read that or that character previously simply due to a genuine lack of interest in supporting anything Marvel does outside of picking up specific collected editions. But I completely trust your judgment my friend. I feel like anything Marvel does is glorified fan-fiction at this point and a constant re-hash of older storylines. I remember saying to a friend that one day, Marvel would re-do 'Acts of Vengeance' and thought he was joking when he informed me that they, in fact, just did. I guess an 'Evolutionary War' event is right around the corner then. 

It's mind bogglingly bad-no joke could be the worst comic book ever written:

Edited by kav

I respectfully have to disagree, chum. SO much of what I'd seen Marvel do in the last twenty years could be considered the worst comic(s) ever written. Millar, Bendis, even Scott Lobdell... all of it is grueling and makes one even consider "s**t, how hard could this be if this stuff is accepted?" I don't blame the writers tho', I blame the buyers

Just now, wisbyron said:

I respectfully have to disagree, chum. SO much of what I'd seen Marvel do in the last twenty years could be considered the worst comic(s) ever written. Millar, Bendis, even Scott Lobdell... all of it is grueling and makes one even consider "s**t, how hard could this be if this stuff is accepted?" I don't blame the writers tho', I blame the buyers

brother-watch some of that video-get back to me.

11 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

I blame the buyers

Ps dont blame the buyers-virtually no one bought America-it was cancelled rapidly.  my LCS buddy explained to me they have to order new titles sight unseen then they just sit there or go in parakeet cage.

Edited by kav

6 hours ago, thunsicker said:

As Brian Eno once said

It's not so much that Eisner was a top seller or anything.  But he was such an idol for almost everyone who followed him.

It's why I give serious consideration to Jim Lee or even McFarlane.