• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mount Rushmore of Comic Artists
4 4

196 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, thunsicker said:

So, for you it would be Schuster, Kane, Ditko, and who? Peter?

I thought kane never drew anything just hired others and signed his name.  There was that fiasco where he tried to draw mickey mouse after claiming he worked for disney and it came out worse than a 4th grader's.

4 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Are you sure I can't persuade you on Adams??? :sumo:

I said from the start that Adams was my third. I melted when I saw his art the first time and I still feel that way to this day on his SA / BA stuff. I just felt a little compelled to not be so quick to nominate him because he's 'only' a SA / BA artist but his originality, quality of work and his reach of influence earn hims that spot.

Just now, kav said:

I thought kane never drew anything just hired others and signed his name.  There was that fiasco where he tried to draw mickey mouse after claiming he worked for disney and it came out worse than a 4th grader's.

I'd be amazed if anyone chose Bob Kane. Forget about the fact that he used ghosts, etc.- who was influenced by his "style"? Absolutely no one. Batman became a phenomenon later on but that's different from him having an influential STYLE. Any stiff work he did was largely swipes from daily strips. 

1 minute ago, wisbyron said:

I'd be amazed if anyone chose Bob Kane. Forget about the fact that he used ghosts, etc.- who was influenced by his "style"? Absolutely no one. Batman became a phenomenon later on but that's different from him having an influential STYLE. Any stiff work he did was largely swipes from daily strips. 

yep that one baffled the hell outta me.
Kane?  WTH

4 minutes ago, kav said:

I thought kane never drew anything just hired others and signed his name.  There was that fiasco where he tried to draw mickey mouse after claiming he worked for disney and it came out worse than a 4th grader's

Did Mark Kostabi get busted for the same thing? Or am I remembering the 80's incorrectly?  hm

11 minutes ago, kav said:

I know eisner is well loved but I always found his drawing stiff.  story telling was ok but a bit repetetive.

Whoa, I think if Jim Steranko heard you say that, you two would be throwing down. You don't want to tangle with Steranko P4P! :slapfight:

8 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I said from the start that Adams was my third. I melted when I saw his art the first time and I still feel that way to this day on his SA / BA stuff. I just felt a little compelled to not be so quick to nominate him because he's 'only' a SA / BA artist but his originality, quality of work and his reach of influence earn hims that spot.

Well put!  :tink:

2 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Whoa, I think if Jim Steranko heard you say that, you two would be throwing down. You don't want to tangle with Steranko P4P! :slapfight:

Steranko drew fluid.  He took what he could use from eisner but he was not stiff.  Also I am very sensitive to stiff drawing as I draw very stiff when I freehand. I hate it.

1# Jack Kirby and will always be King and #1

#2 Frazetta...best of the best artistic wise and great with other artists such as Al Williamson etc, would be #1 but for limited output..I know quality not quantity. 

#3 Steve Ditko ...his 50's 60's SF work is the best and incredible, ASM 1-38...what more can I say..

#4 Wally Wood, artistic wise, probably during his EC peak the second best comic artist of all time...SuperduperMan, Atomic Bomb, My World etc

#5 Dave Stevens...again like Frazetta limited output...but simply  amazing stuff when he is "On"...as time goes on, we as comic book historians will really see how important style wise his contribution to our comic book world, a incredible loss to leave us at such a early age, but a true true fan from the heart.

14 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

1# Jack Kirby and will always be King and #1

#2 Frazetta...best of the best artistic wise and great with other artists such as Al Williamson etc, would be #1 but for limited output..I know quality not quantity. 

#3 Steve Ditko ...his 50's 60's SF work is the best and incredible, ASM 1-38...what more can I say..

#4 Wally Wood, artistic wise, probably during his EC peak the second best comic artist of all time...SuperduperMan, Atomic Bomb, My World etc

#5 Dave Stevens...again like Frazetta limited output...but simply  amazing stuff when he is "On"...as time goes on, we as comic book historians will really see how important style wise his contribution to our comic book world, a incredible loss to leave us at such a early age, but a true true fan from the heart.

I will have to go into hiding for this, but I think for a brief moment in time, Stevens' peak work eclipsed Frazetta's. Williamson and Krenkel and other stylists came close to Frazetta, but I prefer Stevens' cleaner pen work at his zenith, even though it may have been a tad more posed or stiff. Just think of that 3-D Sheena cover: it's like you smashed Foster, Hogarth and a smidge of Frazetta together. Lavish and technical at the same time.  

(I have the strongest feeling Frazetta was more organic, however, and I know that factors into his amazing following.)

Edited by PopKulture

3 minutes ago, catman76 said:

If it's solely American "comic book" artists...

Robert Crumb

Jack Kirby

Steve Ditko

Will Eisner

For American comic artists period...

Winsor McCay

George Harriman

Charles Shulz

Chester Gould

So no comic "book" artist cracks the overall comic artists list? Not even Kirby?

Did you want to put Foster, Hogarth or Caniff on the latter?  hm

4 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

I'd say...

Kirby

Roy Crane

Milt Caniff

Hal Foster

I never "got" Crane the way I probably should. Harriman, too. I'd take Walt Kelly over Harriman as well, although Kat operated on a surreal plane, not just a swamp. 

31 minutes ago, kav said:
34 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

yep that one baffled the hell outta me.
Kane?  WTH

It was because you were saying Eisner couldn't be one of the four because no one had heard of the Spirit.  So I assumed your 4 would be the first artists for Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and Wonder Woman.

Lots of good answers but i have the correct list, everyone else can stop (im kiddjng, its all somewhat subjective)

1. Jack Kirby 

2. Osamu Tezuka, since you didnt specify American comics it makes since to include the godfather of manga.

3. Moebius. The greatest artist of Bande Dessinée, same logic of inclusion as Tezuka.

4. Carl Barks. Elevated the "funnies" of animal comics to levels never thought.

Edited by miraclemet