• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mount Rushmore of Comic Artists
4 4

196 posts in this topic

My Mt Rushmore:

Eisner - artist/writer/editor/packager/storytelling format visionary/king of the splash pages/influencer.  Often imitated, never duplicated 

Timm - 

whether cute and cuddly, menacing and maniacal, femme fatale and otherwise gorgeous, nobody and I mean nobody, does animated cartoon books like Bruce Timm

McFarlane -

honestly, I can’t begin to explain the profound impact his art and his baby, Image Comics, has had on legions of comics readers, artists and comic art collectors around the world.  The Toddfather!

Shuster - 

without him creating the roadmap for all things to come, we would still be at the starting point.  He is the Washington.

Edited by jjonahjameson11

10 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I had the same 1st 2 before I clicked on the thread and as soon as I saw Eisner I glowingly agreed.

I just don't know enough about Barks to actually suggest him...and I'm thinking about a 4th as I type this.

Frazetta?

I love Frazetta, but, his body of work is slim.

Edited by Funnybooks

35 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

I love Frazetta, but, his body of work is slim.

That's why I hesitated when I named him....but what are the criteria for Mt Rushmore?

He is as highly revered as any artist to ever touch the medium and some of his works may be considered the best of their kind.

So I guess it comes down to what we're using as criteria.

15 minutes ago, Delphi22 said:
10 hours ago, kav said:

Frazetta only drew one comic his whole career like a 5 pager so nope

Completely wrong 

Yeah, I was too tired to go there last night. lol

29 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

That's why I hesitated when I named him....but what are the criteria for Mt Rushmore?

He is as highly revered as any artist to ever touch the medium and some of his works may be considered the best of their kind.

So I guess it comes down to what we're using as criteria.

Absolutely agreed 

Edited by Funnybooks

No love for Byrne?  He has a great body of work and drew one of the greatest storylines in comic history - Phoenix Saga.

Edited by s-man

5 minutes ago, s-man said:

No love for Byrne?  He has a great body of work and was drew one of the greatest storylines in comic history - Phoenix Saga.

Personal favorite...nostalgia and all but I can’t in good conscience include Byrne 

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Yeah, I was too tired to go there last night. lol

what he do besides that EC story of guy killed GF on roller coaster?

13 minutes ago, kav said:

what he do besides that EC story of guy killed GF on roller coaster?

Squeeze Play from ShockSuspenstories 13.

Frazetta did a lot of inking over Al Williamson’s pencils on EC’s science-fiction titles.

Classic cover to Weird Science-Fantasy 29.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I'm going to take a bit of a different approach and model my picks directly after the presidents on Rushmore...

George Washington: The founder, the first and foremost pioneer, the one everyone looked up to whose shoes could never really be properly filled.  To me this is Jack Kirby, but I could see a strong argument for Shuster as well, perhaps a stronger one, I only hesitate because I do think some later Superman artists did a great job as well and thus might have filled Shuster's shoes, Kirby has no true equal.

Thomas Jefferson: Also present very early on, not quite the leader but had a very important roll, everything I found an article on Britannica which suggested Thomas Jefferson was the most famous founding father in his day ie the most well known household name.  To me this is tough because there were lots of artists very famous in their day, McFarlane, Neal Adams, Frank Miller, but none of them were super present early on.  I think this spot belongs to Will Eisner, he was a rock in the comic industry, many artists looked to him to imitate his style, I think this is very similar to Jefferson.

Abraham Lincoln.  Perhaps an unlikely candidate, one that maybe had a divisive or unpopular/not as popular style at the time, but time has treated him very well and he is presently respected and revered.  This pick is very tough for me, I want to give it to a silver age artist, I think it could possibly describe Neal Adams, but his work was liked at the time, it's just more liked today, I mean goodness bats 227 has exploded practically just because of the cover art.  Gil Kane is also a consideration, Steve Ditko as well, though perhaps Ditko has almost gone the other way.  I almost think Matt Baker and Alex Schomburg are in the running, both are heavily collected and beloved today and neither had famous names in their day though they were well employed and their talent was recognized.  I choose to give this one to John Romita Sr.  I think his work on the most famous character of all time, possibly the second most famous was not as loved in its day, and today I think it's clear he's the one who made the spiderman we recognize.

Teddy Roosevelt:  The one who kinda just is famous, he wasn't there from day 1, just very beloved because he had his own style and was always authentic.  To me this could describe a number of cult favorites, Mignola comes to mind, Sakai maybe, Ditko again even, Liefeld's name comes up, but I have to give it to Todd McFarlane.  His contribution to the comic world is huge and undeniable, he did the cover art for 3 out of the top 10 most printed comics of all time, he created Spawn, worked on Spidey, I think the Toddfather is very deserving of the list.

TLDR: Kirby, Eisner, John Romita Sr., McFarlane

11 hours ago, kav said:

Anyone wanna tackle the Mt Rushmore of underground artists?

11 hours ago, Chazgee said:

Does Corben count?

One of my top 10 comic artists of all time, definitely an underground artist, where he started out in the late 60s to 70s.

Took a long time to be really accepted by the mainstream.  70s, 80s - Warren magazines, independent and self-published comics, but really only broke through in the late 90s to early 2000s at DC and Marvel.

Idolised by many top comic artists such as Eisner and Mignola, now recognised as one of the greatest horror artists of all time, up there with Ingels and Wrightson.

Edited by Ken Aldred

11 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

I know...it pains me but I have to be honest...my heart hurts

#5 position on Mt Rushmore...next to Trump?

without Austin’s inks...

If Byrne were humble, he’d be the undisputed king of comic artists.:sumo:

36 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

If Byrne were humble, he’d be the undisputed king of comic artists.:sumo:

I love Byrne, but sorry. No.

Every one of his faces look exactly the same. lol

13 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

13 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Yeah, I get it. But if they hired you to curate a museum of comic art, would you really say "these are the four creators you need to look at?"  Objectively speaking, could you do that? :whistle:

Yes.  Yes, I can.  (Partially because I don't even know who the rest of these guys are.)  Don't lynch me.  

B63292C3-9D51-4DF4-B4B6-3371048EA6C7.gif.59d229d4264a410708d3d5f48166f05f.gif