• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What The Heck?

41 posts in this topic

Just an FYI... websites using advertisements like that share information and provide ads based on what you've been seeing here or any other website in the ad network.

So, their database has your website records for their network and it has determined that ad might "appeal" to you based on what you also view.

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Just an FYI... websites using advertisements like that share information and provide ads based on what you've been seeing here or any other website in the ad network.

So, their database has your website records for their network and it has determined that ad might "appeal" to you based on what you also view.

Yes and this proved embarassing for one fellow who was ranting online about all the 'alternative lifestyle lets say' ads that kept popping up for him. 

2 minutes ago, kav said:
8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Yes and this proved embarassing for one fellow who was ranting online about all the 'alternative lifestyle lets say' ads that kept popping up for him. 

I heard something similar happened in an airport bathroom once, but that made national headlines and I doubt if any stream of media is interested in what's going on here in this forum. lol

It's probably more embarassing that the same ad network database figures this is the most likely things they could sell to me:

image.png.aab083fb0fd6a048457334e7b1948ea8.png

That computer algorithm thinks I'm a home-based nerd obsessed with cleaning!  

Maybe my website history is different since I have a wife and she's "offline" for pajama parties.

50 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Yes,  that's probably from an ad tracker. 

Get an adblocker or use a browser like Brave. Haven't seen ads in years... can't stand youtube if there are ads.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

It's probably more embarassing that the same ad network database figures this is the most likely things they could sell to me:

Maybe my website history is different since I have a wife and she's "offline" for pajama parties.

I do a lot of reading about chemistry, biology, astronomy and never once saw a related ad.
No telescopes, beakers-nuthin.
WTH

On Facebook there are recommended videos that appear in my stream, which I assume are generated from some algorithm based on my search history and interests.

Recommended to me a few days ago was a video compilation of female face slapping contests.

I have to admit, I liked it.

(thumbsu

29 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

On Facebook there are recommended videos that appear in my stream, which I assume are generated from some algorithm based on my search history and interests.

Recommended to me a few days ago was a video compilation of female face slapping contests.

I have to admit, I liked it.

(thumbsu

All I get are woodgod videos.  (shrug)

6 hours ago, valiantman said:

Don't think of yourself as in any type of exclusive club or something. lol 

I got up early to watch the Mandalorian and get ready for my work day. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 4.46.46 AM.png

29 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I assume you already have a set of kiss action figures/dolls, so now you just need this guy and you can play along ^^

3A70360E-288C-4BD2-9B56-D9B0182423DE.jpeg

mail.gifmail.gifmail.gifmail.gifmail.gif