• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS: ROGUE SQUADRON directed by Patty Jenkins (2023)

49 posts in this topic

Whatever the next movie is… is it really “Star Wars” if it isn’t tied to Episode 1-6? (Even 1-9?) 

For example, does Rogue One work if it’s set during the Old Republic and they are stealing lightsaber crystals or a Sith artifact?  I have my doubts.  Rogue One works because they are stealing the Death Star plans adding to a familiar narrative.

I don’t know if the Old Republic has that relatability. 

Even Rogue squadron will have to develop a plot that fits somewhere into something a casual Star Wars audience is already familiar with.  

Slapping a label on a movie and calling it Star Wars doesn’t seem like a plan that will work well.  

Just my thoughts and I’m open to being wrong especially since I’m not familiar with the Old or High Republic. 

On 11/15/2021 at 9:05 AM, Bosco685 said:

Rumor floating around social media:

Right - and the other rumor floating around social media is that Kathleen Kennedy's contract has just been renewed for another three years, despite all the fanboy rumors for *years* that her departure was imminent.

Edited by Gatsby77

On 11/16/2021 at 6:47 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Right - and the other rumor floating around social media is that Kathleen Kennedy's contract has just been renewed for another three years, despite all the fanboy rumors for *years* that her departure was imminent.

Yup. Posted that yesterday.

That Youtuber Doomcock is going to throw on his Dollar Tree Doctor Doom mask and proclaim it is all lies. Kathleen Kennedy is actually gone.

I wasn't looking forward to the director, but this was the film I wanted. Same with the Rangers Of The New Republic show. 

Damnit, Disney. Get your Star Wars movie section in order. It never has been, and you've arguably only produced one GOOD film, Rogue One. 

On 9/16/2022 at 12:54 AM, Rip said:

Wonder Woman 84 was so ridiculous, I really hope she doesn't have anything to do with Star Wars. 

Wonder Woman and WW84 are very different films and Jenkins directed both of them. The difference is that she wrote the screenplay for WW84. So her direction seems much better than her writing ability. Maybe WW84 was a fluke in her writing resume but it was definitely a dud. I was looking forward to her doing Rogue Squadron because she was genuinely passionate about it. Maybe they should hire the Top Gun crew to make Rogue Squadron. They’ve already used Star Wars material so there’s that.

On 11/10/2021 at 6:31 AM, Buzzetta said:

Whatever the next movie is… is it really “Star Wars” if it isn’t tied to Episode 1-6? (Even 1-9?) 

For example, does Rogue One work if it’s set during the Old Republic and they are stealing lightsaber crystals or a Sith artifact?  I have my doubts.  Rogue One works because they are stealing the Death Star plans adding to a familiar narrative.

I don’t know if the Old Republic has that relatability. 

Even Rogue squadron will have to develop a plot that fits somewhere into something a casual Star Wars audience is already familiar with.  

Slapping a label on a movie and calling it Star Wars doesn’t seem like a plan that will work well.  

Just my thoughts and I’m open to being wrong especially since I’m not familiar with the Old or High Republic. 

I know this is an old post, but there are a couple ties between the High Republic and the OT. One of which is Yoda, and the second could be the origins of Darth Plagueis. The second has yet to be seen, but Yoda is quite prominent in the High Republic era as it’s only 100-200 years before the prequels. There are other characters that span both eras, but Yoda is the one everyone will know. 

On 3/8/2023 at 10:23 AM, awakeintheashes said:

I know this is an old post, but there are a couple ties between the High Republic and the OT. One of which is Yoda, and the second could be the origins of Darth Plagueis. The second has yet to be seen, but Yoda is quite prominent in the High Republic era as it’s only 100-200 years before the prequels. There are other characters that span both eras, but Yoda is the one everyone will know. 

Nobody cares about the High Republic.  :shy:

On 3/8/2023 at 10:42 AM, drotto said:

Nobody cares about the High Republic.  :shy:

True, it’s still very niche since it has only been explored in comics and books. The Acolyte will be the first test for how an audience takes to a SW story not tied to any OT characters or timelines.  

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 3/8/2023 at 11:12 AM, awakeintheashes said:

True, it’s still very niche since it has only been explored in comics and books. The Acolyte will be the first test for how an audience takes to a SW story not tied to any OT characters or timelines.  

It will go away and be forgotten when KK leaves Lucasfilm. 

On 3/8/2023 at 11:16 AM, drotto said:

It will go away and be forgotten when KK leaves Lucasfilm. 

I don’t think KK is or was behind the creation of the High Republic era…

Her comfort zone is rehashing and spoon feeding OT storylines and characters to people who only like the OT. That’s the era I grew up with, but the prequels now occupy a lot of the imagination of the mid to young millennials who have money to spend now. I have a feeling she won’t be around much longer. 

The HR was created and is driven by the publishing arm of Lucasfilm. Not sure who will take the reins if the Acolyte is a success. 

Edited by awakeintheashes