• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Mags though. Much like Marvel Super Special #15 vs. Star Wars #42.

I would totally agree that as mags, the comics are usually preferred.  But Star Wars isn't a comic book property, as these characters debuted in animated shows before being adapted for comics.  The first published appearances being in magazines are desirable for a fan.  Helps that CGC does grade them too.

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I would totally agree that as mags, the comics are usually preferred.  But Star Wars isn't a comic book property, as these characters debuted in animated shows before being adapted for comics.  The first published appearances being in magazines are desirable for a fan.  Helps that CGC does grade them too.

There is obviously value to them. But isn't Boba Fett a fan favorite? Why does his comic command such a premium over the magazine?

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

There is obviously value to them. But isn't Boba Fett a fan favorite? Why does his comic command such a premium over the magazine?

I think it has to do Fett on the front and SW42 being more known. Its one of those case by case basis things
I would bet the next magazine (1st Boba) in 9.8 that goes for sale would beat the last Star Wars 42 in 9.8 for price. 
Its quite tough in 9.8

Edited by Rip

36 minutes ago, Rip said:

I think it has to do Fett on the front and SW42 being more known. Its one of those case by case basis things
I would bet the next magazine (1st Boba) in 9.8 that goes for sale would beat the last Star Wars 42 in 9.8 for price. 
Its quite tough in 9.8

13 for the mag vs. 315 of the comic. So price would be based on scarcity, not necessarily demand.

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

First (?) Darth Maul doing well. 

Episode 1 #3. 

The two covers greatly vary in price, which is total BS. They are still the same book, and I agree the painted cover is superior. That photo cover is due for a major bump though! It's still his 1st appearance. 

I did a con in Charlotte on Sunday and it was BANANANAS! Since people hadn't had shows in a while and either didn't know or didn't have time to purge their own stuff, the pickings were VERY good. Especially on SW stuff. I try and keep up with the news but even I miss stuff. Picked multiple SW 2/43/60 for $5-9 but left behind 5s at the same price. Found an Old Republic Lost Suns 2 for $3. Thought it was a $20 book. Had no idea it was a $75 book now. The market is crazy hot right now especially in person with people not being able to dig in so long. You can sell anything Dark Horse right now as people just assume that any book has the potential to blow up overnight. I'll but any first Darth (although I'm unfamiliar with most) for cheap and use the CBSI links referenced above to buy anyone's first that I've heard of. It doesn't have to be fist apps either. Cool covers featuring Asajj Ventress or Aurra Sing (or any other character for that matter) and any Clone Wars tie-ins were moving especially well. 

On 12/12/2020 at 11:12 PM, Rip said:

Modern variant books if we count newsstands at $1000+

Clone Wars 1 variant at around $4850 in 9.8

(worship) That book will be the Star Wars comic grail, its hot right now and limited to 1000 copies.  It's already catching up to SW1 .35 variant and equal to Star Wars Vader Down Zdarsky Sketch.  When Ashoka Tano show comes out this book IMO will rocket even further to a galaxy far far away.

Seems like there are 3 books that are claiming "1st Ahoska in Canon" Each issue has a really small single panel.

Mace Windu 5
Star Wars Age of the Republic Special 1
Darth Vader 14

On 12/15/2020 at 1:00 PM, maidenmate91 said:

All  affordable copies of Mace Windu #5 (2018) are gone. New prices of $120 plus now. Wow

I’m not sure why I check in on these threads.  I just get depressed.  I needed to free up space a year ago or so and unloaded my Star Wars, Aphra and Kanan runs.  Also all the mini series like Mace Windu and Thrawn. All for less than cover.  😭

I did keep the Darth Vader runs but  who would think any of these would be worth anything. I like reading them and never considered I should treat as an investment. 

So strange to see 1980 Newsstand 9.8s get a premium, as newsstands were more common at that time.
If someone offered you close to $3K I would likely take it.
But I wouldn't sell until the rumored 6 episode Fett mini-series is made official which should be soon.

Edited by Rip

6 hours ago, Rip said:

So strange to see 1980 Newsstand 9.8s get a premium, as newsstands were more common at that time.
If someone offered you close to $3K I would likely take it.
But I wouldn't sell until the rumored 6 episode Fett mini-series is made official which should be soon.

Of course newsstands are more prevalent for 1980, however newsstand copies staying in 9.8 condition is usually the kicker. Only 3 of the 15 sold 9.8s on ebay were newsies. 

On 12/17/2020 at 11:36 AM, icp004 said:

I’m not sure why I check in on these threads.  I just get depressed.  I needed to free up space a year ago or so and unloaded my Star Wars, Aphra and Kanan runs.  Also all the mini series like Mace Windu and Thrawn. All for less than cover.  😭

I did keep the Darth Vader runs but  who would think any of these would be worth anything. I like reading them and never considered I should treat as an investment. 

Think we've all been down that path (if a person has sold books). 

One of my stores told me they bought 100 Kanan #1s when it came out.  It was a flop for them as they only sold 40.  

They have a HUGE storage area that is not accessible to the public.  He found the remaining 60 "garbage" issues back there.  He said he's getting calls and selling at $60 each.  

Yah just never know anymore. 

Patrick