• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paypal chargeback.. ebay scammer

29 posts in this topic

A buyer who i sold an item at ebay July 02 just contacted me telling me that the item "is not as i described it" and he wants to return it ... He tells me that he is well aware that the paypal deadline to open a case has expired but he trusts i am gonna do "the right thing" . I am 100% he is a scammer.... but the paypal deadline is really over? I know he has 180 days and he is still on time but maybe its different when he buys something trough Ebay

2 minutes ago, Mijael.Levy said:

A buyer who i sold an item at ebay July 02 just contacted me telling me that the item "is not as i described it" and he wants to return it ... He tells me that he is well aware that the paypal deadline to open a case has expired but he trusts i am gonna do "the right thing" . I am 100% he is a scammer.... but the paypal deadline is really over? I know he has 180 days and he is still on time but maybe its different when he buys something trough Ebay

Nope. he can either go through ebay or paypal, and if the time frame for ebay has elapsed, he can file a return with paypal for up to 180 days after paying.  If the paypal purchase was funded by credit card, he can also file a chargeback through that cc company and in some cases, you won't even be given an opportunity to get your merchandise back. This is all in the paypal user agreement. You agree to nonsense like this when you sign up to do business through paypal. No signing the agreement, no business, move along. 

30 minutes ago, Mijael.Levy said:

keep running out the clock ask him to return, say youre looking into it etc.

If you truly believe that he is scamming you, get him talking and hopefully he says something that trips himself up in that it violates the buyer's end of the user agreement.  For example, if he bought a car and made alterations.   eBay STILL does not stand behind a return like that if the alterations did not work out.  

Get him talking to see what's up. 

1 minute ago, Mijael.Levy said:

Thats what i am doing , i replied : "Hey i am out of town i will be back next monday and carefully review your case" xD 

"I have reviewed your request and sent it to our return team for approval-"

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

If you truly believe that he is scamming you, get him talking and hopefully he says something that trips himself up in that it violates the buyer's end of the user agreement.  For example, if he bought a car and made alterations.   eBay STILL does not stand behind a return like that if the alterations did not work out.  

Get him talking to see what's up. 

He already did that ! He completely altered the product i sent him . I sold him a sealed video game inside an original Nintendo security case that could not be open unless you break it . The guy somehow opened it ...

"Your refund has been approved.  Please download the return form fill out and hand mail.  Allow 6-8 weeks for processing".

4 minutes ago, Mijael.Levy said:

He already did that ! He completely altered the product i sent him . I sold him a sealed video game inside an original Nintendo security case that could not be open unless you break it . The guy somehow opened it ...

If he admits that he has altered and broken the product and that his return is due to misuse, then you have a decent shot of shutting the return down.  You have to make sure that you direct eBay CSR to read the messages and you have to be prepared to argue. 

Depending on your argument, tone, and record you should have a reasonable shot at cancelling the return request.  If the lower tier CSR cannot help you then ask to go higher.  

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

If he admits that he has altered and broken the product and that his return is due to misuse, then you have a decent shot of shutting the return down.  You have to make sure that you direct eBay CSR to read the messages and you have to be prepared to argue. 

Depending on your argument, tone, and record you should have a reasonable shot at cancelling the return request.  If the lower tier CSR cannot help you then ask to go higher.  

Problem is that its not an Ebay issue now. I already had an open case two months ago . Ebay sided with me and the buyer was able to open a case with paypal. 

Certainly not arguing that you are getting screwed. But if he was a scammer when he bought it, why wait so long to initiate this return? Maybe he got short on cash after almost 6 months and was looking for a way to get some by trying to return items (screw over sellers) that he bought from a long time ago? Also, if he is a scammer he certainly isn't going to fall for any delay tactics. He'll know exactly how long he has to file a complaint. I hope it works out in your favor, but payment processers (Ebay; banks; etc) almost always side with the buyer.

Edited by WPPJames

11 hours ago, Mijael.Levy said:

It's "not as described" 5 months later!?

3 hours ago, Gaard said:

He beat the game. The only thing to do now is return it.

Remember those video rental places back in the late 90s? You could take out a video game, play it for a while, and then return it. That's what you are.

If you waited-out Blockbuster, you got free games!