• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A blast from the past! 1975 prices

18 posts in this topic

Those were the days. I remember years ago, I was in a little comic shop in monterey and there was a Daredevil 1 in the regular back issue bins. I was too poor to buy at the time, but what a deal.

Side comment -- that's a great inking job on the cover. Reminds me of Jim Starlin with a little bit of Berni Wrightson on the Swamp Thing.

I have to find them but I have a couple of catalogs from Max Seeley when he was working out of his apartment. It was amazing as he didn't use boxes, but had everything in stacks. He'd have a stack of Avengers and everytime someone ordered one, he'd have to go thru the stack to get it. 

He had run out of room and had to go vertical. 

An inflation calculator says that $1 in 1975 would be $4.84 today, so Spiderman 1 would be around $260. Can you imagine? Hulk 1 for $125?!?

Of course a .25 cover price in 1975 would now be $1.20. 

Edited by BrooksR

On 12/22/2020 at 2:40 PM, shadroch said:

I hope you get a kick out of this.

image.thumb.jpg.178775c85fbb2306b359ee5a4a1988df.jpg

image.jpg

Please! Show us the DC, Charlton, Archie, Harvey, Dell, etc. pages of the catalogue. Or am I largely right in thinking that Marc Emery's catalogue was like every other catalogue and store at the time, i.e. nothing but Marvel when it came to older comics? (Trying to collect anything but Marvel comics until close to the turn of the century was very frustrating, believe me.)

Incidentally, that's the same Marc Emery who's now best known for being a rather successful libertarian oriented marijuana law crusader based in Vancouver(Look up the name.)

Back in 1972 I journeyed to a used bookstore on Dundas Street East in London that was reputed to stock old comics. It was there that I met a fourteen year old Marc Emery who was dealing from the shop.  While Marc had nothing of interest for me in inventory, one of his friends had brought in a small stack of Aquaman and Atom comics from the 1967-1970 period for showing off purposes. I was very much impressed and I distinctly remember him telling me to "Now go slowly ape!" Which I did - sort of.

At the age of seventeen in 1975 Marc acquired the City Lights Bookshop, the biggest and most prominent used book store in London which was located on Richmond Street very close to London's main downtown intersection. He soon became involved in the Freedom Party of Ontario (a Libertarian Party offshoot) and was one of the leaders in battling Ontario's Sunday closing laws until these were repealed on 3 June 1992: 

https://www.freedomparty.on.ca/sundayshopping/

Marc then sold City Lights just a very few months thereafter and resurfaced in Vancouver in 1994 selling pot paraphernalia and battling marijuana laws. While I'm in full agreement with Marc on principle, my hot button issues are less specific and more general philosophically, e.g. battling the ever increasing size of the State and the concomitant erosion of individual liberty.

:)

Edited by Hepcat

I placed a few orders with Marc and was very happy with him until the end.  I had worked as a caddy all summer in 75 and sent him a very big order for me. I remember it was for a Strange Tales 101,110, JIM 83 and an Avengers 9.  I think it came to just over $100 US, and to my disappointment it was returned with a note saying he was concentrating on his store and no longer did mail order. 

Unlike Cresthol and Seeley, when you ordered from Marc's you usually got what you wanted, not a bunch of alternates.