• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

INVESTMENTS: Is it time to realize the truth?
3 3

185 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I need everyone who took a shot at me, personally, in this thread rather than the ideas to send me their address via private message.  I need to ship you a broken broomhandle and some detailed insertion instructions. (thumbsu

I don’t think I’m on broken broom handle duty.  Tomorrow though if I remember I will definitely reach out to them again to challenge them on some things.  If I do I will let you know what they say or if they block me.  

8 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

So, hopefully I'm not on the list to receive the business end of a broken broom stick. 

Not that there is anything wrong with that..., :D

12 hours ago, valiantman said:

I need everyone who took a shot at me, personally, in this thread rather than the ideas to send me their address via private message.  I need to ship you a broken broomhandle and some detailed insertion instructions. (thumbsu

A few people flagged this. I'm hoping that by the time they got a broom handle (about 3 weeks the way the mail is going) they would have no idea what on earth you sent it for.

It would be better though not to add   details that might be construed in another manner when asking people to pm you.

Try offering a fruit cake or something else in the mail;) Happy Holidays.

Edited by skypinkblu

On 12/24/2020 at 9:56 AM, valiantman said:

"Investments" across the board are seeing a major shift in focus. 

Looking elsewhere for something you do care about means looking backwards... childhood, teen years, happy times.   Nostalgia.

Yes, every investment has the potential to lose money.  Sadness is probably inevitable, regardless, but happiness doesn't have to be excluded.

Spider-Man, Michael Jordan, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Star Wars, Nintendo... are words that easily beat "No-Load Mutual Funds", "Subprime Mortgage", and "Traditional Investment" in the 21st century.

Especially if your investments and your future are also supposed to include... happiness.

this was the edited initial post. it was a worthwhile discussion, i thought. just because OP supports rally road doesnt mean this thread ALSO has to become a debate about whether or not that venture is a scam. that's tired and has it's own boring thread elsewhere. 

i like reading opinions about this idea. he's right that across the board, collectibles have gone insane this year. i dont even care about sports cards and these boards used to be all about how that world was dead. wow, not this year. the overall question is why. could it be true that collectibles will perform better than traditional stock market investments going forwards? or in tandem? is it an anomaly, or something in between?

22 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Try offering a fruit cake or something else in the mail;) Happy Holidays.

Mods notified. :sumo: 

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this was the edited initial post. it was a worthwhile discussion, i thought. just because OP supports rally road doesnt mean this thread ALSO has to become a debate about whether or not that venture is a scam. that's tired and has it's own boring thread elsewhere. 

i like reading opinions about this idea. he's right that across the board, collectibles have gone insane this year. i dont even care about sports cards and these boards used to be all about how that world was dead. wow, not this year. the overall question is why. could it be true that collectibles will perform better than traditional stock market investments going forwards? or in tandem? is it an anomaly, or something in between?

Hmmm… maybe it's because people with money have more money now, and the ever-increasing US debt may make an easily transportable asset that could be sold off for other currencies more desirable?

On 12/25/2020 at 10:23 AM, Buzzetta said:

I've casually mentioned this before.  It's not bonkers to the new guard.  It is bonkers to the old guard. 

We are getting old. 

There is the possibility that this is not a bubble that is about to burst but a changing of the guard.

Let's look at AF 15 and Hulk 181. 

AF15 7.0

• 2002 High $7,000 
  • 2020 High $110,000

Hulk 181 9.4

• 2002 High $2,350
  • 2020 High $10,000 with a $12,000 high in 2019.

Now to us, those prices are insane.  Think of the price you paid for a book that has popped in the last few years.  At the price you paid, that is what it cost.  Could you justify paying "Y" for a book knowing that it really only cost you "X" when you bought it years ago? 

To us, those books are very high.  To the new blood, that's what they go for.  "It is what it is"  Lamenting that they should have bought a Hulk 181 in 9.4 for $3,000 is like one of us saying we should have bought a copy for $50 back in the 1980's.  There is nothing they can do about that so a Hulk 181 in 9.4 at $10,000 IS normal for them...  For us, it is outrageous and we can sell it and happily take their money.   For the n00bz, $10,000 for a Hulk 181 9.4 is quite possibly the investment that could have been at one point buying an AF 15 in 9.4 for $10,000.  We see a bubble that might burst.  They see a bubble that has the opportunity to grow. 

I could easily be wrong.   But all of this could possibly be new blood getting attracted to the hobby. 

There’s no ceiling here?  How much money does the new blood have?  Are these the new BSDs?

10 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

There’s no ceiling here?  How much money does the new blood have?  Are these the new BSDs?

Great question... 

It's not so much a ceiling as a shift in focus. 

It's not about how much money the new blood has but where they are focusing that money.  We raise our eyebrows when books like ASM 300 takes a jump.  That book takes a jump because many in the new blood look at some of the other books as out of reach.  So what do they do?  They go after obtainable books.  As more gravitate toward a copy of ASM 300 with the mindset that the boat has sailed on a copy of ASM 1, they pour money into that.  That's what is pushing a lot of the first appearances of these modern characters through the roof.   People are paying the same amount for a ASM 300 in 9.8 that you could have bought an ASM 1 in 4.5 back in 2014-2015.

The new blood is pushing up the values on B and C level characters because the A level books are out of reach.  More books are entering into the Saudi Prince territory.  Someone is buying them.  

But why is 1st Terry McGuinness / Batman Forever going for so much?  Because so many people feel they missed the boat on 1st Harley Quinn.   When I paid $30 for my copy in 2015 it was considered a lot.  Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur?  That is a $200+ book in a CGC 9.8.  It is hard for people to ignore this kind of stuff.   As the new blood see what came before them, they are shifting their focus and other books that we would normally dismiss are increasing in value. 

But again, as far as who is paying the big prices?  I suspect really really really rich people that believe this stuff is going to go up even further or have BSD money.  I am curious to see what the Batman 1 in 9.4 goes for and would love to know who the buyer is. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Great question... 

It's not so much a ceiling as a shift in focus. 

It's not about how much money the new blood has but where they are focusing that money.  We raise our eyebrows when books like ASM 300 takes a jump.  That book takes a jump because many in the new blood look at some of the other books as out of reach.  So what do they do?  They go after obtainable books.  As more gravitate toward a copy of ASM 300 with the mindset that the boat has sailed on a copy of ASM 1, they pour money into that.  That's what is pushing a lot of the first appearances of these modern characters through the roof.   People are paying the same amount for a ASM 300 in 9.8 that you could have bought an ASM 1 in 4.5 back in 2014-2015.

The new blood is pushing up the values on B and C level characters because the A level books are out of reach.  More books are entering into the Saudi Prince territory.  Someone is buying them.  

But why is 1st Terry McGuinness / Batman Forever going for so much?  Because so many people feel they missed the boat on 1st Harley Quinn.   When I paid $30 for my copy in 2015 it was considered a lot.  Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur?  That is a $200+ book in a CGC 9.8.  It is hard for people to ignore this kind of stuff.   As the new blood see what came before them, they are shifting their focus and other books that we would normally dismiss are increasing in value. 

But again, as far as who is paying the big prices?  I suspect really really really rich people that believe this stuff is going to go up even further or have BSD money.  I am curious to see what the Batman 1 in 9.4 goes for and would love to know who the buyer is. 

so people are looking for more easily paintable trim?

56 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

so people are looking for more easily paintable trim?

I had to do some touch ups this morning.  You know how things always look a little different when you wake up the morning after.