• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2021
5 5

385 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

how is immortal hulk holding up?

strange academy as well?

they good?

I feel like there’s been a bit of a lull with Immortal Hulk lately. Still good but not at the level of the first 20+ issues.

I’m actually enjoying Strange Academy but still waiting for things to develop story wise. It reminds me of Runaways.

18 minutes ago, piper said:

I feel like there’s been a bit of a lull with Immortal Hulk lately. Still good but not at the level of the first 20+ issues.

I’m actually enjoying Strange Academy but still waiting for things to develop story wise. It reminds me of Runaways.

I still have a raw of runaways 1 that I've read, it was decent and built up the mystery, I didnt know if strange academy had built up enough to enjoy the run lol

Thank you  :)

Last update I was at 97 year-to-date.

Felt like a little nostalgia, so decided to try...

Batman '66 #1-30

As a Batman title, I thought it was pretty good. As a Batman '66 title, I thought it fell short. For the most part I didn't think it really captured the feel of the old television show - not enough over-the-top death traps, or abundance of Bat-this and Bat-that, or any of the little touches that made the show was it was, beyond a liberal amount of "BIFF!" and "POW!" graphics and Joker's visible mustache. And unfortunately the main writer for the series, Jeff Parker, was the least able to really give things that campy vibe - almost every time I thought "that's more like it" there was a different writer. Ironically enough, I thought the last issue, #30, was the one that captured the full flavor of the show - what could be more Batman '66 than a convention of Bat-villians complete with breakout sessions for dealing with the Caped Crusaders? The Allred family did a very fine job with this final issue.

I've got all the cross-over books (Green Hornet, Wonder Woman, etc) pulled out, but I think I'm going to wait on those for a bit.

So, looks like I'm sitting at 127 at the moment.

Edited by ttfitz

I finished my Legion read!  45-63, plus Annual 4 in the Baxter series.

I have decided not to continue with 5YL at this time, though I have that run and I may pick it up later.  It doesn't feel like 'the Legion' to me, and I need a palate cleanser.  Actually the end of the Levitz run felt less and less like 'the Legion', as you can see Giffen's influence growing after he comes back.  His art in the early 50s is just gorgeous to me, though. 

But the run just gets grittier and that colorful optimistic sense of the future lost, in my opinion.  The tones are more subdued and Giffen gives the Legionnaires ugly utilitarian costumes, complete with Liefeldian pouches, which makes me work harder than I should have to to tell some of them apart.  I recalled as I was reading that I actually dropped away from this title after #56, and now I remember why, although I did catch up and complete the run.

In there, I also read Adventure Comics 442-452.  Holy Miracleman, folks - Adventure 452 is one DARK comic book.  Published in 1977 and headlining one of the Super Friends, this book features the cruel murder of a toddler and that's arguably its second most disturbing development.  Damn glad I didn't grab this as a five-year-old.

But I continued the story to Aquaman 57-60, so the tally stands at 115 if I count correctly.

45 to 67

Planet Hulk  (23 issues in total)

Fantastic Four 533 to 535

Prelude which has the Hulk vs Thing battle in Las Vegas which finally provokes The Illuminati into exiling Hulk into space.  Great version of Hulk, with a strong resemblance to Tor Johnson.  Interesting storyline about how best to protect the kids of a famous super-powered family from harm.

Incredible Hulk 88 to 91

Slow, but the first part serves to illustrate that on Earth Banner isn’t practically distanced enough to avoid social altercations that might cause him to transform.

Shot into space around the Earth with the excuse of being asked to defeat an orbiting threat, the android storyline is quite dull. Then, he's trapped inside a warp drive spacecraft and exiled by The Illuminati to a distant star system.

New Avengers Illuminati one-shot

Quite good : The story about The Illuminati voting on what to do with Hulk, the verdict being get him off planet.  Nice art.

Incredible Hulk 92 to 105

Classic trope about an Earthman adrift on an alien world, at first captive, fighting his way from the gladiatorial arena to freedom and eventually leadership.

This is actually a great Hulk story; well-paced, consistently solid artwork, uninterrupted by needless digressions into largely irrelevant cash grab mini-series.  Just keeps going and maintains your interest from beginning to end.

Amazing Fantasy 15 (2nd series)

Good story introducing Amadeus Cho, bridging Planet to World War Hulk.

Edited by Ken Aldred

16 hours ago, srezvan said:

82 so far this year.

Finished what I thought was the end of the Fraction run of Hawkeye, but it turns out there's two more TPBs after this. I enjoyed this series all the way through. I was not a fan of the two very "artsy" issues (Pizza Dog and the Holiday Heroes dream issues), but still not bad. I get what they were going for, but just not my style. I was a little worried when the Hawkeyes split up, but in TPB format the structure of the story worked very well. I'll need to track down the last two TPBs. I even picked up the first Fraction Iron Fist TPB, which was recommended on the boards. Can Fraction make Iron Fist interesting? We'll see!

Hey, I've finally gotten far enough back in time with my comic sorting to reach the beginning of this one, so it will be popping up in my updates in the not too distant future!

Edited by ttfitz

Previous count - 127

Batman '66 The Lost Episode

I had very high hopes for this one - based on a treatment by the fabulous Harlan Ellison for the original show, written by Len Wein and illustrated by Garcia-Lopez, what's not to love? Well, little things that just took things down. Like Batman using sunlight to blind Two Face - in the middle of the night. Or explaining he used lock picks to get loose - when he was tied with a rope. The really annoying part was none of the problems I had with the comic were in the actual Harlan Ellison treatment, it just wasn't done right in the art or the dialogue. Overall it was pretty good - much better than the series I read last week - but the lack of attention to details marred the experience. But I do have to give Len some credit for changes - for some reason Harlan didn't really go far enough into the Batman '66 thing as Two Face would definitely been done - like the first robbery was worth $500,000 in his treatment (changed to $2 million by Wein), or the ship being at Dock 9 (Dock 2, of course). Wein went full deuces in his version, which was much more correct.

The P.I.'s #1-3

Limited series featuring Ms. Tree and Michael Mauser working a case together. Max Allan Collins writing and Joe Staton art, who could ask for anything more? A fun mystery, with some decent humor - and a comic book convention to boot - so you should check it out.

Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Dog Men #1-6

I'm a big Dresden Files fan, and have enjoyed the various mini-series done by Dynamite. This was probably my least favorite, but still worthwhile for the Dresden fan. Although this one had a few lapses like the ones in the Batman '66 book - I know it's a supernatural series about a wizard, but I was taken back when the two guys wearing some sort of cop uniforms complete with badges on the last page of issue 1 are wearing suits and ties on the first page of issue 2. Not good, guys.

Next up, I'm going back to the beginning with Ms. Tree.

Total for the year stands at ... 137

8 hours ago, ttfitz said:

I'm a big Dresden Files fan, and have enjoyed the various mini-series done by Dynamite

I have a couple of these mini-series in a Dynamite digital comics bundle which I haven’t got around to reading, so I’ll take this as a recommendation.

13 hours ago, ttfitz said:

Hey, I've finally gotten far enough back in time with my comic sorting to reach the beginning of this one, so it will be popping up in my updates in the not too distant future!

You'll like it, bro. Bro, is good book.

It'll make sense later.

6 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:
15 hours ago, ttfitz said:

I'm a big Dresden Files fan, and have enjoyed the various mini-series done by Dynamite

I have a couple of these mini-series in a Dynamite digital comics bundle which I haven’t got around to reading, so I’ll take this as a recommendation.

Have you read any of the books? Depending on which series were included in your bundle, I think the degree to which it matters varies. Upon reflection, I think the one I just read, Dog Men, would be liked better by someone not familiar with the books - most of the stuff that bothered me had to do with a (slight) bit of mischaracterization of the lead.

And I think the first one or two (Storm Front definitely) were comic adaptations of books, so there's that.

But yeah, they are worth reading, particularly the ones written by Butcher himself.

19 hours ago, ttfitz said:

Next up, I'm going back to the beginning with Ms. Tree.

I started that last year with the newly released TPBs. I had always wanted to read Ms. Tree and was not disappointed by what I have read so far. Will  be looking forward to your commentary on the series. :popcorn:

1 hour ago, chromium said:

Well February is done and dusted, so here's what I read the last 28 days

February 194 comics read

Black Adam Endless Winter special
Black Cat 1
Black of Heart 1
Black Panther Visions of Wakanda (16 comics)
Black Panther & The Agents of Wakanda 1-6
Black Widow 4
Blade Runner 2019 12
Blade Runner 2029 1
Bleed them Dry 5
Chu 5
Champions 3
Colonel Weird - Cosmagog 1-3
Conan the Barbarian 16-17
Daredevil 24-25
Dark Knights Death Metal last stories 1
Dead Body Road - Bad Blood 6
Dead Day 5
Department of Truth 2-4
DIE!namite 3
Disaster Inc. 5
Doctor Doom 9-10
Falcon and Winter Soldier 25
Fantastic Four Antithesis 4
Fantastic Four Road Trip 1
Fantastic Four 26-27
Fishkill 3-4
Fire Power 6
Green Arrow Year 1 Deluxe Ed. (7 comics)
Guardians of the Galaxy 9
Happy Hour 2
Hellboy and the BPRD - Her fatal hour & The Sending
Home Sick Pilots 1
I walk with Monsters 1
Ice Cream Man 21-22
Immortal Hulk 40-41
Injustice - Year Zero 11-13
Iron Maiden Legacy of the Beast 4-5
Iron Man 4
John Constantine Hellblazer 12
Juggernaut 3
Justice League Dark 28-29
Killing Red Sonja 05
King in Black Namor 5
Knock em dead 1
Locke & Key - ...In Pale Battalions Go 3
Locke & Key Sandman Hell & Gone (2 comics)
Lost Solders 4-5
M.O.D.O.K. - Head Games 1
Maestro 4-5
Miles to go 3
Miskatonic 2
Nailbiter Returns7-8
Oblivion song 29
Outcast 47
Post Americana 4
Piecemeal (2 comics)
Postal Night Shift
Purple Heart 1-2
Red Mother 11
Red Sonja 22
Red Sonja, Price of Blood 1
Redneck 29
Resident Alien - Your Ride's Here 1-2
ROM - Dire Wraiths 1-3
Rorschach 2-3
S.W.O.R.D. 1
Second Coming - Only Begotten Son 1
Shang-Chi 3-4
Sir Edward Grey Withfinder - Reign of Darkness 1-6
Star Trek Year Five 17
Star Wars - Bounty Hunters 7-8
Star Wars - Darth Vader 8
Star Wars 9
Stillwater 3-4
Suicide Squad 11
Sweet Tooth - The Return 2
Taskmaster 02
That Texas Blood 6
The Batman's Grave 12
The Boys - Dear Becky 7-8
The Cimmerian - Frost Giant's Daughter 1
The Devils Red Bride 2-3
The Goon 12
The Last God 10-11
The Stars of history Marilyn Monroe (4 comics)
The Union 1
The Vain 3
The Witcher House of Glass 1-5
The Witcher Curse of Crows 1-5
The Witcher Fox Children 1-5
The Witcher of Flesh and Fame 1-5
Touching Evil - The Curse escapes (10 comics)
US Agent 2
We Live 2
X-Factor Madrox Multiple choice 1-5
X-O Manowar 2-3
You Look Like Death - Tales from the Umbrella Academy 3-4

329 comics read in 2021

How are the Witcher series? I keep seeing them around and want to give them a try but haven't really heard anything about them.

Well, I've finally finished Hickmans run on avengers and everything that was tied into it. Finished it with Secret Wars (Secret Wars was actually the series that got me back into reading comics regularly on a weekly basis so it was cool to go back and read everything that led up to it so I knew what was going on). After finishing that I've only kept up with the Guardians books (none of the spinoffs though, just main title) that leads up to Infinity Wars. I just started reading through Infinity Countdown and it's tie-ins this past week. I've (almost) been keeping up with my reading one vintage comic from my collection a day, some of the highlights are the Planet and Wings Comics (obviously, you can't really beat fiction house when it comes to vintage/ golden) and I've also been reading The Defenders. Started with around issue 50 or so and have been reading since there. The Defenders is just plain old good marvel fun. I recommend it if you're looking for something not too serious and not too in depth to read.

2/8/21 - 2/28/21

-Defenders(1972) #47, 55-65, 68-69 (16)
-Wolverine: Black, White, Blood #3
-Fantastic Four #29
-Daredevil #27
-King in Black: #4,Thunderbolts #2, Black Panther #1, Planet of the Symbiotes #2, Symbiote Spiderman #4, Return of the Valkyries #3 (6)
-Black Cat #3
-Morbius: Bond of Blood #1
-Strange Academy #1
-S.W.O.R.D. #2-3 (2)
-Amazing Spider-Man #59
-Magneto # 18-19 (2)
-Secret Wars #1-9 (9)
-Guardians of Knowhere #1-4 (4)
-Guardians of the Galaxy (2015) 1-19 (19)
-All New Guardians of the Galaxy (2017) #1-12, 146-150 (17)
-Savage Avengers #18
-Miles Morales: Spider-Man #23
-Siege: Spider-Man 
-Thor #12
- Infinity Countdown: 1-3, Adam Warlock, Prime, (5)
-Dr. Strange (2018) #3
-Wolverine #10
-Marvel Voices: Legacy #1
-Marvel Team-Up (1980) #93

-Future State: Dark Detective #3, #4 (2)
-Batman/Catwoman #3
-Batman: White Knight presents Harley Quinn #5
-Batman: Black and White #3
-Mystery in Space (1960) #61
-Strange Adventures (1951) #10

-Young Hellboy: The Hidden Land #1
-Spawn #315
-Redemption #1
-Two Moon #1
-Fightin' Marines (1951) #2
-Judo Joe (1953) #3
-Planet Comics (1952) #66
-Wings Comics (1943) #29
-Airboy Comics (1947) vol.4 #7,(1948) vol.5 #3, (1949) vol.6 #5, #10(4)
-The Lone Ranger (1949) #14
-Sparkling Stars (1946) #15
-Jack Armstrong (1948) #3
-Justice Traps the Guilty (1951) #22

-Avengers World: The Complete Collection #21-22 (2)
-Avengers: Time Runs Out Vol. 2-4 (15)
-B.P.R.D. King of Fear (5)

TOTAL: 140
2021 TOTAL: 466

Looks like I'm well on my way to completing the 1000 books in a year challenge. Think i might up it to 2000.

I'll post some pics of my favorites later this afternoon/evening when I'm back home.

13 minutes ago, kccoig14 said:

How are the Witcher series? I keep seeing them around and want to give them a try but haven't really heard anything about them.

Well I loved the first mini series (House of Glass), but to be honest, each following mini series was more of the same. Curse of Crows was fine as well, but Fox Children dropped of in quality, and then Flesh and Fame became a chore to get through. So much so that I didn't even start on the next one...Maybe it was my fault by reading them all back to back, but on the other hand a few years ago I read Avengers 1-500 in order over the course of a few months and that didn't drag at all :nyah:

2 hours ago, chromium said:

Well I loved the first mini series (House of Glass), but to be honest, each following mini series was more of the same. Curse of Crows was fine as well, but Fox Children dropped of in quality, and then Flesh and Fame became a chore to get through. So much so that I didn't even start on the next one...Maybe it was my fault by reading them all back to back, but on the other hand a few years ago I read Avengers 1-500 in order over the course of a few months and that didn't drag at all :nyah:

That's kind of the impression I was getting for some reason, that they would drag. I'll check out the first couple series though. Thanks for the info. 

19 hours ago, Scrooge said:

I started that last year with the newly released TPBs. I had always wanted to read Ms. Tree and was not disappointed by what I have read so far. Will  be looking forward to your commentary on the series. :popcorn:

Would that be the collections from Titan? I had been reading the Mike Hammer series that Collins did, enjoyed them, and decided to read his original (female) version of Mike Hammer. The second volume, Skeleton in the Closet, was available on Hoopla, so I read that and enjoyed it. Just picked up a run of 1-8, I think, of the Eclipse "Ms Tree's Thrilling Detective Adventures" on the board here, which is what I'm reading now.

And in checking Hoopla for the title of Vol 2, I see they now have Vol 1, so I will probably go back for that sometime.

2 hours ago, kccoig14 said:

I've also been reading The Defenders. Started with around issue 50 or so and have been reading since there. The Defenders is just plain old good marvel fun. I recommend it if you're looking for something not too serious and not too in depth to read.

2/8/21 - 2/28/21

-Defenders(1972) #47, 55-65, 68-69 (16)

I read from the Marvel Feature beginnings thru to something like 120 or 130 last year, and I would agree, plain old good Marvel fun.

Just regret that Gerber never finished off the killer Elf storyline.