• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm fairly new to getting books graded and I know that there are 10.0 grades and was just wondering if at all possible if anyone knows how to get a book graded for 10.0? It may not even be possible but I thought I could throw the question out there.

On 1/25/2021 at 9:28 AM, Nick_j said:

Hello, I'm fairly new to getting books graded and I know that there are 10.0 grades and was just wondering if at all possible if anyone knows how to get a book graded for 10.0? It may not even be possible but I thought I could throw the question out there.

Yes, it's possible. CGC offers a service just for that. You send 25 books or more and ask to check which of those books they would give a 10. If they find one, they will grade it and give you 10. The ones that wont get a 10 are sent back to you ungraded.

5 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Yes, it's possible. CGC offers a service just for that. You send 25 books or more and ask to check which of those books they would give a 10. If they find one, they will grade it and give you 10. The ones that wont get a 10 are sent back to you ungraded.

You can only prescreen up to a 9.8

You can get 10's on specially selected new releases.  Thousands of comics are screened to yield a few 10's and slightly more 9.9's.  These offerings are sometimes available for "special" issues as they come out, like maybe a highly anticipated #1 issue.  They're not cheap, but one way to get a 10. 

Or you are out on the secondary market, like eBay.  And have a dump truck full of money on hand. 

To have your own comic come back a 10 is close to impossible.  Even a 9.9 would seem miraculous.  But it all depends on the quality of the stock you are submitting.  Usually, the newer the better the chances of high grades.  I'm thrilled with 9.8's.

On 1/25/2021 at 8:28 AM, Nick_j said:

I think what people are saying is that it's like asking how to find buried treasure.  Extremely unpredictable and years of experience only give you a chance at 9.8+.  No guarantees.

FWIW, I wouldn't focus on grades (unless you're about to sell) as much as what you like for content.  The adage that's been said thousands of times on these boards is- "Buy the book, not the number"

46 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

I think what people are saying is that it's like asking how to find buried treasure.  Extremely unpredictable and years of experience only give you a chance at 9.8+.  No guarantees.

FWIW, I wouldn't focus on grades (unless you're about to sell) as much as what you like for content.  The adage that's been said thousands of times on these boards is- "Buy the book, not the number"

Where is your avatar pic from? That art is excellent!

On 1/25/2021 at 9:28 AM, Nick_j said:

It would probably be easier to find the Ark of the Covenant...