• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does restoration decrease a comic's grade?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Rayhock said:

I sent a comic in to be graded and just because someone touched up the color slightly,  it came back as an 8.5 restored.  It would have been at least 9.2 had the restoration not been done.

..and you know it would have been a 9.2 because?

I don't hear of many 9.2's that require alterations. Nope, I just don't hear that. 

1 hour ago, Rayhock said:

I sent a comic in to be graded and just because someone touched up the color slightly,  it came back as an 8.5 restored.  It would have been at least 9.2 had the restoration not been done.

That makes no sense. If it were a 9.2 and someone touched it up, it would be a 9.2 Restored or higher. 

59 minutes ago, shadroch said:

That makes no sense. If it were a 9.2 and someone touched it up, it would be a 9.2 Restored or higher. 

That's why I was asking. Seemed very odd.  Apparently the only thing wrong with it is it was missing a little ink on the cover so someone touched it up with a marker or something.  Not understanding why this is confusing some people.  I heard missing ink was considered a slight printing error anyways and shouldn't have affected the grade. So probably would have graded even higher.

Restoration is performed in order to IMPROVE the grade.  However, unprofessional work can certainly destroy a book too.  CGC grades the book as it is.

How did you come to the conclusion the book was 9.2?  As you must have heard by now: grading is subjective.

49 minutes ago, Rayhock said:

Apparently the only thing wrong with it is it was missing a little ink on the cover so someone touched it up with a marker or something.  Not understanding why this is confusing some people.

Because we can't see the book and are forced to take your word for it that it should have graded 9.2

I'm guessing there was more wrong with it, perhaps subtle defects that caused CGC to assign it a 8.5

Just a guess because, again, I can't see the book.

5 minutes ago, 15Years said:

Yeah I thought that resto was "qualified" because it has it own grading scale. Like, they grade the book like it doesn't have any resto first and then they grade the restoration?

Not really. They simply grade the book in terms of how it looks, just as you would any other book. And if it has restoration, it's given a purple label which explains how much restoration there is.

1 hour ago, StillOnly25Cents said:

must have been one of the “the grader was having a bad day” situations people like to use as excuses for grades coming back worse than they wanted, even though there are supposed to be 3 graders that look at a book 

Plus CGC does have a screening service if you dont want the  book to come back slabbed in anything less than 9.2 (in this case).

4 hours ago, shadroch said:

That's why I was asking. Seemed very odd.  Apparently the only thing wrong with it is it was missing a little ink on the cover so someone touched it up with a marker or something.  Not understanding why this is confusing some people.  I heard missing ink was considered a slight printing error anyways and shouldn't have affected the grade. So probably would have graded even higher.

Ok, So it should have been graded much higher than it was. Thanks. That is what I thought.  Was just making sure.  Btw, I do my own screening process.  It is not that difficult to figure out what grade a comic should get.  I don't send in comics unless they have a chance at getting a 9.8.  Amazing, all the people wondering how I could possibly guess at what grade it should be, like it is rocket science or something. :eyeroll:

2 hours ago, StillOnly25Cents said:

must have been one of the “the grader was having a bad day” situations people like to use as excuses for grades coming back worse than they wanted, even though there are supposed to be 3 graders that look at a book 

2 is the minimum. It hasn't been 3 in many years.

15 minutes ago, Rayhock said:

Ok, So it should have been graded much higher than it was. Thanks. That is what I thought.  Was just making sure.  Btw, I do my own screening process.  It is not that difficult to figure out what grade a comic should get.  I don't send in comics unless they have a chance at getting a 9.8.  Amazing, all the people wondering how I could possibly guess at what grade it should be, like it is rocket science or something. :eyeroll:

I’m not clear on why it “should have” graded higher?  Did you think this comic was also a 9.8 candidate?  

13 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:
30 minutes ago, Rayhock said:

I’m not clear on why it “should have” graded higher?  Did you think this comic was also a 9.8 candidate?  

He knows what he's doing. It's not like it is rocket science or something :eyeroll:

13 hours ago, Rayhock said:

True true. I suggest cracking the book out and resubmitting but this time include a note letting them know the book is an obvious 9.2 so they'll get it right next time. 

In fairness to the OP, there've been cases of restored books that appear much nicer than their assigned grade, and I've wondered if the fact that the book was restored may have influenced the outcome.  I suppose it's arguable whether that occurs more frequently than it does for unrestored books.  But, on the other hand, it's also the case that oftentimes a submitter expects a book to achieve a higher grade than it's assigned.  And that happens a lot, even with submitters who've had thousands of books graded.

OP - posting high resolution scans of the front and back covers would give everybody more to go on than just your word.

Edited by namisgr