• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Cosmic Comics

67 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Starlin played a little prank with the code sticker on the cover of Strange Tales 179, changing it from “Comic code” to “Cosmic code”.

Making ST179 the most important Marvel comic in the cosmos.

How have I never known this?

That’s really cool ^^

39 minutes ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

The Star Thief story was in Warlock #13-14.  Starlin's later work on Darklon the Mystic for Warren tied in to that story, and I've not read it, but I think Starlin's Strange Adventures for DC was said to have alluded to the Star Thief.

Quite right on the numbers,it has been awhile since I've read them.What are the #'s on the Strange Adventures you mentioned? Need to go back and read Darklon again too.

Just now, Toz said:

Quite right on the numbers,it has been awhile since I've read them.What are the #'s on the Strange Adventures you mentioned? Need to go back and read Darklon again too.

Starlin worked on for the 2009 series of Strange Adventures. Flicking through some pages online, I think  #2-7 include Star Thief images. The backup story in #1 is titled A Minor Incident, which I think was also the name of the story Alan Weiss drew for the unpublished Warlock #16, which finally appeared in Mavel Masterworks: Warlock #2.

According to GCD, another Star Thief appeared in Defenders #150 by Peter B Gillis, and the original fought Rocket Raccoon in Annihilators #4, cover dated August 2011.

Edited by Chaykin Stevens

Quasar 1 to 60 is a run worth looking at.

The series really hits its stride in the issues from around 10 onwards, with several very readable cosmic storylines by Mark Gruenwald, and nice art by Greg Capullo.

Quasar takes over as Protector of the Universe, previously the role of Captain Mar-vell.

The Annihilation Saga is an essential read if you're interested in a long, cosmic-orientated narrative.

Collected as trade paperbacks.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Also, the Korvac Saga is another classic Bronze Age run; Thor Annual 6, Avengers 167, 168, 170 to 177, and What If? 32 for an alternative, darker take.

Also,

What If 20 (Kree-Skrull War Without Rick Jones) 

What If 27 (Phoenix Hadn't Died)

Doctor Strange is very cosmic, so you could check out a lot of that material.

One of my favourites is Steve Englehart and Frank Brunner's Sise-Neg storyline from Marvel Premiere 13 and 14.

One of my more recent favourites is Jonathan Hickman's Secret Wars epic from Avengers / New Avengers, and Infinity, featuring Thanos, The Black Order, Molecule Man, the extra-dimensional Beyonders, the annihilation of colliding universes.  

Then, there's also the original Crisis on Infinite Earths over at DC, and the several iterations in the years after.

I’ve read crisis on infinite earth’s and thought it was a really good story how they managed to do it. I still need read the more recent secret wars I’ve only ever read the original secret wars but I always liked the sound of the new one but I just didn’t pick it up I don’t know why