• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are variants errors?

6 posts in this topic

If you have a card that has an error variant (like No symbol Jungle Clefable or Magikarp uncommon error FRLG) do you have to pay for the extra 5$ error cost or do you just put down as a variant? I have a lot of these and am trying to submit correctly now. They have the variants listed so I was unsure if error means more like printing lines or ink errors. Thanks!

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Cole Blancett said:

If you have a card that has an error variant (like No symbol Jungle Clefable or Magikarp uncommon error FRLG) do you have to pay for the extra 5$ error cost or do you just put down as a variant? I have a lot of these and am trying to submit correctly now. They have the variants listed so I was unsure if error means more like printing lines or ink errors. Thanks!

Good question! If the variants are in our system, they are free. Most should be in there. Errors are more one-off things like if a card is miscut. 

Paul

17 hours ago, PaulS. said:

Good question! If the variants are in our system, they are free. Most should be in there. Errors are more one-off things like if a card is miscut. 

Paul

Would cards that were banned and reprinted be considered errors? For example "Misty's Tears" from original japanese base set pokemon.

11 hours ago, JokerThe8th said:

Would cards that were banned and reprinted be considered errors? For example "Misty's Tears" from original japanese base set pokemon.

I graded one and the label does not contain anything around it being 'banned'. They didn't ban it in Japan, they simply swapped the art when it came to the US, so that whole 'banned' thing is sort of gray area to begin with. I doubt any of the Japanese arts that changed (Grimer, Misty's Tears, Koga's Trick, Jynx) would just get graded 'straight' with no variant or label notation.

Edited by Ron Churches

• Administrator
On 2/9/2021 at 1:12 AM, JokerThe8th said:

No, just graded as a normal card. It is not an error. 

Paul