• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Downside to transparency around timeline changes and price changes...

47 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

That is clearly what I am saying that increasing workers to grade would increase profits overall production. Speed should be a number 1 priority to increase overall profits. 

In order to increase speed - or keep deceleration at a minimum - they need to increase revenue to increase their workforce.

4 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

In order to increase speed - or keep deceleration at a minimum - they need to increase revenue to increase their workforce.

I don't mind them increasing revenue. I mind when they charge more than their competition. They do not need to increase it that much. They can beat out their competitions prices to keep their revenue high... Many people come to use this company because of the cheaper rates. Why would people of switched if the prices are higher than the competition? It is like a slap in the face.

Edited by ShiningCollectibles

2 minutes ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

I don't mind them increasing revenue. I mind when they charge more than their competition. They do not need to increase it that much. They can beat out their competitions prices to keep their revenue high... 

So, you want the quickest service to offer the lowest prices? That's usually not a realistic expectation. I really don't think you're in a position to assess CGC's "needs", either.

Have you heard the saying, "you can't have your cake and eat it, too"?

2 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

So, you want the quickest service to offer the lowest prices? That's usually not a realistic expectation. I really don't think you're in a position to assess CGC's "needs", either.

Have you heard the saying, "you can't have your cake and eat it, too"?

That is why many people use them. They want better service and price than the competition... That is why people used PSA over Beckett.. Better prices and Grades so much so that Beckett lowered prices at many points. Now CGC is raising them over Beckett. I mean time will show just my prediction that it is going to hurt more than help.

2 hours ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

I hope your right but really it scares me if prices are already going over Beckett. 

Yeah...I dont want to be rude but your legit living in some kind of fantasy universe. Did you seriously end up in a coma and wake up just now? Like no joke, there has been a pandemic which has led to production shortages on cards and people have been sitting at home for over a year with nothing to do, hence part of why grading is the highest its ever been.

Your not even predicting anything at this point. I send CGC cards to PWCC and track their listings. The CGC cards are going for the same exact amount for beckett and close to PSA outside the 10s. Nobody cares about labels anymore, The days of it being PSA or nothing are over since it takes almost a full year to get a return from PSA. And I used to grade with PSA and not only does their customer support suck, but they are inconsistent when it comes to grading. I can send back the same card 4 times and 4 different grades. Its not reliable to expect perfect condition cards to come back as 10s from them. Waiting 7-9 months to potential get 9s on perfect condition cards isnt worth it.

CGC is already beating out the competition on consistency and speed. What company is faster at grading right now for the price? Since I dont see such as a place. And you act like BGS is so fast, yeah BGS your looking at a year wait as well. When you factor in time, you lose money waiting longer to get cards back. So yeah, you might save a few bucks, but the time loss on reselling cards and then buying more is an opportunity cost in itself.

You just have a personal problem and need to learn to adjust to the market since the market doesnt really care that your feel bad about a slight price increase. And your expectations need to be reevaluated since the market is red hot and your acting like it should cater to you. 

28 minutes ago, mattyzeepgam said:

Yeah...I dont want to be rude but your legit living in some kind of fantasy universe. Did you seriously end up in a coma and wake up just now? Like no joke, there has been a pandemic which has led to production shortages on cards and people have been sitting at home for over a year with nothing to do, hence part of why grading is the highest its ever been.

Your not even predicting anything at this point. I send CGC cards to PWCC and track their listings. The CGC cards are going for the same exact amount for beckett and close to PSA outside the 10s. Nobody cares about labels anymore, The days of it being PSA or nothing are over since it takes almost a full year to get a return from PSA. And I used to grade with PSA and not only does their customer support suck, but they are inconsistent when it comes to grading. I can send back the same card 4 times and 4 different grades. Its not reliable to expect perfect condition cards to come back as 10s from them. Waiting 7-9 months to potential get 9s on perfect condition cards isnt worth it.

CGC is already beating out the competition on consistency and speed. What company is faster at grading right now for the price? Since I dont see such as a place. And you act like BGS is so fast, yeah BGS your looking at a year wait as well. When you factor in time, you lose money waiting longer to get cards back. So yeah, you might save a few bucks, but the time loss on reselling cards and then buying more is an opportunity cost in itself.

You just have a personal problem and need to learn to adjust to the market since the market doesnt really care that your feel bad about a slight price increase. And your expectations need to be reevaluated since the market is red hot and your acting like it should cater to you. 

Na, I just know that the company works for us. Not the other way around. We are the ones spending the money. I am not living in a fantasy Universe. You can only use the Pandemic card for so long. Many businesses including the Card Grading Industry is back at 100%. There is no excuses anymore. Many businesses not saying CGC is trying to cut corners (operate with as least employees as possible to save a buck) it really shows in the production loss. I don't know how you expect people to pay (MORE) for a CGC card when BGS/PSA have been in the Market for Pokemon for ages. I understand (Slowly Progressing up to their prices) But not being more expensive. If you added some sort of special labels maybe I could see that but until then I can't!

4 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

It doesn't matter who has been in the market longest if competition props up that offers better services at the same - or better - quality/consistency. That would be a mental bias.

But that is what I am trying to say, as of right now I am starting to see the slope they have gone down which is the whole reason I turned away from Beckett and PSA. Hoping they don't turn into them with the high prices and long wait times :( 

2 minutes ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

But that is what I am trying to say, as of right now I am starting to see the slope they have gone down which is the whole reason I turned away from Beckett and PSA.

:eyeroll:

Sounds like you could open your own card grading company and wipe all 3 of them out!

I tell you, customers of grading services are a rare breed. Some folks here are breaking logic. BGS and PSA are still available for submissions!  With Topps series 1 coming out this week I'm sure they will be swamped with submissions, so I'd expect the lines over there are going to grow.

2 hours ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

Na, I just know that the company works for us. Not the other way around. We are the ones spending the money. I am not living in a fantasy Universe. You can only use the Pandemic card for so long. Many businesses including the Card Grading Industry is back at 100%. There is no excuses anymore. Many businesses not saying CGC is trying to cut corners (operate with as least employees as possible to save a buck) it really shows in the production loss. I don't know how you expect people to pay (MORE) for a CGC card when BGS/PSA have been in the Market for Pokemon for ages. I understand (Slowly Progressing up to their prices) But not being more expensive. If you added some sort of special labels maybe I could see that but until then I can't!

Yeah your definitely living in your own world and not on the same planet as everyone else. The pandemic has shot up demand of grading like never before to where nobody cares anymore who grades what. GMA graded cards (the company with 1 guy) have a premium now. You have zero leverage in this situation since the demand is high. It doesnt matter if you stop grading since 1000s of other people will take your place. Its not a buyers market. And them raising prices is just an issue that you personally have while the other 1000s of people sending in cards could care less.

eBay is showing similar prices for CGC cards to other graded cards. What about that do you not understand? Its the new norm and no complaining is going to change that.

Yeah, the demand for their services is unprecedented. Price hikes are probably a combo of needing to boost capacity, taking advantage of demand, and trying to reduce the chuff that's getting sent in to grade on the bulk. That 8 dollar per card bulk price is very, very favorable for these low dollar cards to get graded and then turn around and sell in such a hot market. It's completely different from most baseball cards, which will barely move if they aren't a 10, and certainly have low margins. The market mechanics are different and we (the submitters) have been reaping the rewards. Everybody wants their cards faster because we know speed to market is essential. Flippers should be THRILLED with a nominal increase in price. You telling me you can't bake in another buck or two, per card if it means you'll get things closer to the stated turnaround times? 

5 minutes ago, Ron Churches said:

Yeah, the demand for their services is unprecedented. Price hikes are probably a combo of needing to boost capacity, taking advantage of demand, and trying to reduce the chuff that's getting sent in to grade on the bulk. That 8 dollar per card bulk price is very, very favorable for these low dollar cards to get graded and then turn around and sell in such a hot market. It's completely different from most baseball cards, which will barely move if they aren't a 10, and certainly have low margins. The market mechanics are different and we (the submitters) have been reaping the rewards. Everybody wants their cards faster because we know speed to market is essential. Flippers should be THRILLED with a nominal increase in price. You telling me you can't bake in another buck or two, per card if it means you'll get things closer to the stated turnaround times? 

I'm thrilled. I only flip high dollar cards where an extra $20/30 doesn't really make a difference. I'm cool with them doing whatever is necessary to stop all these trash graded cards I see flooding the place. Everytime I see someone trying to flip commons that aren't even popular I want to send them a message asking how long they plan to sit on that thing. I'd honestly be surprised if any of them ever sell. Very different dynamic to baseball. Unless its like a <1970 card everyone wants something with a high grade.

12 minutes ago, Ron Churches said:

Things right now are great with this market. I been making good money off graded cards. Paying a few more bucks are fine. The only people complaining are the people who have no clue what they are doing or are greedy and want something for nothing. 

1 minute ago, mattyzeepgam said:

Things right now are great with this market. I been making good money off graded cards. Paying a few more bucks are fine. The only people complaining are the people who have no clue what they are doing or are greedy and want something for nothing. 

Exactly; even with prices shooting through the roof I've improved my personal collection AND made a little extra coin, without having to dip outside of my card money at all. It won't be like this forever.

Or maybe they grade for their own personal collection and aren't a greedy scalper/flipper and the more it costs them the grade the less they want to grade. I've been collecting since 1999. I have a collection of about 100,000 USD. I like receiving my cards back in a timely manner. Meaning if I pay for a estimation of 30 days I expect it to be around that. But maybe I am looney lol!

39 minutes ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

Or maybe they grade for their own personal collection and aren't a greedy scalper/flipper and the more it costs them the grade the less they want to grade. I've been collecting since 1999. I have a collection of about 100,000 USD. I like receiving my cards back in a timely manner. Meaning if I pay for a estimation of 30 days I expect it to be around that. But maybe I am looney lol!

That's supply and demand, friend. When I order a Big Mac during rush lunch hour, I want that sucker made exactly the way I like it and in a speedy fashion. Does that always happen? Hell no. And to expect that services in this world stay linear is looney to me but to each their own.

Edited by dagwood jr.