• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Downside to transparency around timeline changes and price changes...

47 posts in this topic

They must be getting absolutely crushed with deliveries ahead of those price changes mid-month. Definitely appreciate the transparency, but I'm guessing they sparked a huge demand increase. I think the move to charging late in the process was absolutely the right one, with these changes in mind. People are going to whine, but I hope they continue to be up front about changes so we know how to react. I'd argue that they need to stay 'x' days ahead of PSA, to keep gaining market share...not sure what 'x' is, but with PSA's longer turnaround service levels still like half a year, I think they have some cushion.

1 hour ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

Prices above Beckett isn't being transparent. They are new to the game. If they want these kind of prices they should wait a few years. This is really going to stop many people from submitting. I like them but two price increases in a year is nuts.

I get that but this year has been nuts for the hobby in general 

3 hours ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

Prices above Beckett isn't being transparent. They are new to the game. If they want these kind of prices they should wait a few years. This is really going to stop many people from submitting. I like them but two price increases in a year is nuts.

Prices relative to competition is irrelevant to transparency; what I mean is that they were transparent about the price increase ahead of time. You, the consumer, can weigh whether the price is worth it. The surge in submission volume they are seeing is evidence that folks are trying to get that lower price point. I'll be honest, I don't see the price hikes as that big of an issue, as I know what grading does to the margins of cards. As someone mentioned in another thread on these boards, these slight hikes and delays tied to sub grades are likely targeted at making people who are sub'ing 5-10 dollar cards think twice about whether it's something they want to grade and flip, which will bring down bulk order size a little, which will free up time for them to hit their target dates. They are dialing in their target market for grading.

4 hours ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

Yes please stop submitting so I can get my stuff back quicker LOL. I take it that you havent looked at the secondary market since BGS and CGC are basically equal when it comes to resale. There is no universe to where a small price increase will change anything. The market is on fire and they are just cashing in on it.

I won't stop using them but I can see many people stopping and moving elsewhere. A pretty new company shouldn't be more than established companies for years.... But I mean that's my opinion we will see their profits in the coming months. Just because someone sold a card valued at 360k doesn't mean they deserve 360k for grading that card. It's a grading company they don't own your cards. First impressions are major in a New company for Pokemon submitting. So far my first impression has seen delayed dates from 30-65 days+ and two price increases. So that kind of scares me. I wanted to grade tons with them.

Edited by ShiningCollectibles

20 minutes ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

I won't stop using them but I can see many people stopping and moving elsewhere. A pretty new company shouldn't be more than established companies for years.... But I mean that's my opinion we will see their profits in the coming months. Just because someone sold a card valued at 360k doesn't mean they deserve 360k for grading that card. It's a grading company they don't own your cards. First impressions are major in a New company for Pokemon submitting. So far my first impression has seen delayed dates from 30-65 days+ and two price increases. So that kind of scares me. I wanted to grade tons with them.

At this point it's a game for me. Always right after I submit something the time goes up. Maybe if I stop submitting, the times will go down for everyone else 😂

1 hour ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

That is wishful thinking. If people stop using them then the return times can be faster, so yes please get people that you know to stop using them! Hurry spread the word since I need my cards to come back faster.

And with all due respect, it sounds like you been in a coma for the last few months and have no clue what is going on with the grading market. Yeah im sure you want to grade lots of cards. Id like a mansion and a yacht. We all cant get what we want in life.

15 hours ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

Wait, isn't this the first price increase?

I thought it went from 7 to 8 to 9 now. But maybe it just went from 8 to 9. Idk, but it is just odd that it cost more than Beckett for sub grades. (Times went from 30 to 60 to 65 for bulk) Guess I am horrible for seeing the bulk submissions be graded for months under 30 days. Than submitting and magically the time goes super slow. Guess I am a horrible person for expecting what I pay for. 

6 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

CGC may be new to the CCG/TCG game, but they are not new to the collectible world. Collectors know who CGC is and are aware of their reputation. If CGC can cash in on that, then good for them, as long as they continue being good for the consumer.

They can cash in on it just as much doing 7-8 dollars for bulk and keeping the prices for subs under Becketts prices. But if raising prices to reduce demand is what they need to do so be it. I just feel like that will give them less profit because people are going to start submitting cards only worth high amounts. Just my thoughts. Many people use CGC for (Speed, Service and Prices) if you reduce speed and prices (I can say service still will stand but if others have better speed and prices what is really the grab) I personally like the cases only reason I will stay... I mean I moved from PSA and Beckett because of these types of things. I have over 100k worth of cards just saying.

2 minutes ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

They can cash in on it just as much doing 7-8 dollars for bulk and keeping the prices for subs under Becketts prices. But if raising prices to reduce demand is what they need to do so be it. I just feel like that will give them less profit because people are going to start submitting cards only worth high amounts. Just my thoughts. Many people use CGC for (Speed, Service and Prices) if you reduce speed and prices (I can say service still will stand but if others have better speed and prices what is really the grab) I personally like the cases only reason I will stay...

Facts don't care about feelings. Idk how you came up with this wacky idea of intent. lol

8 minutes ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

They can cash in on it just as much doing 7-8 dollars for bulk and keeping the prices for subs under Becketts prices. But if raising prices to reduce demand is what they need to do so be it. I just feel like that will give them less profit because people are going to start submitting cards only worth high amounts. Just my thoughts. Many people use CGC for (Speed, Service and Prices) if you reduce speed and prices (I can say service still will stand but if others have better speed and prices what is really the grab) I personally like the cases only reason I will stay... I mean I moved from PSA and Beckett because of these types of things. I have over 100k worth of cards just saying.

I think that's the point. Go to eBay. Look at all the base set commons and other stuff people have graded in large quantities. People are sending things to get graded that honestly shouldn't be. Especially considering the high demand for graded cards, some of it really really needs to be weeded out. People sending .20-.50 cards in bulk for grading slamming turnaround times.

Also, I use all services for different cards. SGC and PSA are so slammed I won't see my baseball submissions for another 3 months minimum so I don't know where else you think people will go.

Edited by Yeahiwasder4dat

5 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Facts don't care about feelings. Idk how you came up with this wacky idea of intent. lol

Time will tell if those feelings are factual :P (I mean it's lost PSA and Beckett a lot of potential profit) The less cards graded the less profit over time. I am fine with the prices and times. I just am worried that what they are doing is going to scare off many people. Prices going up and Times that is a big deal for many new submitters. Idk, I just feel like many grading companies are trying to use the Pandemic as a scapegoat lately truthfully. (Example I had two cards at Beckett that were estimated at 20 days and it took 6 months) That should be illegal.

1 minute ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

Time will tell if those feelings are factual :P (I mean it's lost PSA and Beckett a lot of potential profit) The less cards graded the less profit over time. I am fine with the prices and times. I just am worried that what they are doing is going to scare off many people. Prices going up and Times that is a big deal for many new submitters. 

If you're successful, you're going to have a lot of demand. You cannot magically supply more time and resources. Those cost $$$$$. There is no reasonable way to expect the same TATs as when they first started grading cards. In order to keep TATs as low as possible, they need more $$$$$ to hire more hands. This is Economics 101.

6 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

If you're successful, you're going to have a lot of demand. You cannot magically supply more time and resources. Those cost $$$$$. There is no reasonable way to expect the same TATs as when they first started grading cards. In order to keep TATs as low as possible, they need more $$$$$ to hire more hands. This is Economics 101.

If you are making more money you can add supply and resources aka more employees if you are willing to pay to make more $$$$$ Business 101. The more employees you hire / more people are working the more money you will make. The Failed logic from many companies is that less employees = more money. When the truth of the matter is the faster you get the production moving the more money you can make. Even if you must pay a little more the faster you get it done the more you can bring in (Advertise) Drive Sales to get that back plus tons more. Ever hear the term the (Rich get Richer) The more you invest the more money is to be made.

Just now, ShiningCollectibles said:

If you are making more money you can add supply and resources aka more employees if you are willing to pay to make more $$$$$ Business 101. The more employees you hire / more people are working the more money you will make. 

Are you ignoring economics to try making a point of conjecture? If you want relatively low TATs, you need more money to hire more people. You have a choice:

• Hire no additional workers, TATs skyrocket.
  • Increase fees, hire more people to keep TATs as low as possible.

This isn't the Underpants Gnomes. This is a viable business.

1 minute ago, Angel of Death said:

Are you ignoring economics to try making a point of conjecture? If you want relatively low TATs, you need more money to hire more people. You have a choice:

• Hire no additional workers, TATs skyrocket.
  • Increase fees, hire more people to keep TATs as low as possible.

This isn't the Underpants Gnomes. This is a viable business.

That is clearly what I am saying that increasing workers to grade would increase profits overall production. Speed should be a number 1 priority to increase overall profits.