• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the Mary Marvel / Wow Comics appreciation thread
8 8

116 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2021 at 2:33 PM, Robot Man said:

Ha! I saw that same book over 40 years ago when Chuck brought the first batch to Casual Con. 

It grabbed my attention and appealed to me at the time. But I dropped it back in the box. I mean, who would pay double Guide for a “girly” book? :facepalm:

That's excellent, Bob!  Thanks for sharing a chapter in it's history.  Since I first saw the book around 30 years ago, I've always wanted a copy.  But when I was a kid, yes, this would've been in the category of "not collectable" for most of my friends.

And thanks for putting it back so it could find it's way to me!  :foryou: 

Lotta nice Promise collection Mary Marvel related books coming up soon… I’ve been trying to find d the right copies of a few particular issues with no luck for a while.  Probably not gonna be a good time to jump on the bandwagon.  Should be interesting to see how they do anyway.

On 10/13/2021 at 1:24 PM, Randall Dowling said:

That's excellent, Bob!  Thanks for sharing a chapter in it's history.  Since I first saw the book around 30 years ago, I've always wanted a copy.  But when I was a kid, yes, this would've been in the category of "not collectable" for most of my friends.

And thanks for putting it back so it could find it's way to me!  :foryou: 

Glad it found a home with someone who loves and appreciates it. 

As much as I liked it, I was more after anything with a decapited head or a bad girl tied up in a torn dress that day...:devil: Even at double guide, a hundred bucks bought quite the pile of Church books. $100. was about a months rent for me then. 

As odd as it might seem today, I had very little competition for most of them. Everybody was crowded around the superhero boxes. 

One of the most exciting days I've ever had collecting comics. Anybody who has never read Chuck's "Tales from the Database" story about the Church collection, you really should. Like a book you can't put down.

The Chapter about taking these books out to CA to the little Casual Con, is very accurate. 

On 12/20/2021 at 10:38 PM, szav said:

Makes my 4.0 win from January look like a steal :banana: