• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reholder
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I am not sure if this is the right area to post this but I am I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with the reholder service.  I wanted to get one of the new labels for several of my books because it adds a nice touch but I got spooked with their message about the grade being lowered if it gets damaged in the process.  I don't like that especially if they are not accepting responsibility for something that they did and we have to accept the risk.  I just wanted to read other people's feedback and experiences.  

FYI, if there is another post somewhere please let me know and I will post my question there and read the responses there.  I apologize if this is the wrong area.

13 minutes ago, carter3175 said:

I am not sure if this is the right area to post this but I am I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with the reholder service.  I wanted to get one of the new labels for several of my books because it adds a nice touch but I got spooked with their message about the grade being lowered if it gets damaged in the process.  I don't like that especially if they are not accepting responsibility for something that they did and we have to accept the risk.  I just wanted to read other people's feedback and experiences.  

FYI, if there is another post somewhere please let me know and I will post my question there and read the responses there.  I apologize if this is the wrong area.

Probably a warning to make sure you ship your slabs securely. If they get crushed or damaging in shipping, then they have to re-evaluate the condition.

I am a frequent user of the Re-holder service, but not on a voluntary basis.  This is due to problems with the original service, like pieces of plastic roaming about the slab, major scuffs, etc. 

CGC has always been helpful in getting that corrected with a re-holder.  We get a lot of slabs - there will be a few problems along the way.  I have always been very satisfied with the re-holder service.

They do have the pop up message about not being liable for damage incurred while removing your comic from the original holder, and it is always your option to remove it yourself.  If it's my choice, I'd still let them do it.  But I don't deal in high value comics, most are under $300. 

If I had a $5000 comic and they messed it up, I can't even imagine the disappointment.  All that said, they are not that difficult to remove, and I have cracked some out in the past to have them pressed.

If you send in a comic for a re-holder, they will give it the same grade as it held, unless they reason to believe that the comic has changed in grade due to shipping, dropping, whatever.  They reserve the right to regrade it, if deemed appropriate.

The thing I would examine before sending back in for a re-holder is if the comic has any cover "overhang", misalignment where the cover extends past the page stack.  If it does, the cover is susceptible to curling over any time during the process of re-holdering - just a lot of handling involved and shipment both ways. 

If you have been fortunate enough that your comic with overhang is dead flat, that the overhang has not curled over, don't push your luck.  It may not be worth the risk.

When you reholder a current gen slab, don't they just remove the shell then stick the inner well into a new shell possibly with new label?

Or is the book always completely cracked out and given a whole new holder including inner well same as submitting a raw book?

???

57 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

I am a frequent user of the Re-holder service, but not on a voluntary basis.  This is due to problems with the original service, like pieces of plastic roaming about the slab, major scuffs, etc. 

CGC has always been helpful in getting that corrected with a re-holder.  We get a lot of slabs - there will be a few problems along the way.  I have always been very satisfied with the re-holder service.

They do have the pop up message about not being liable for damage incurred while removing your comic from the original holder, and it is always your option to remove it yourself.  If it's my choice, I'd still let them do it.  But I don't deal in high value comics, most are under $300. 

If I had a $5000 comic and they messed it up, I can't even imagine the disappointment.  All that said, they are not that difficult to remove, and I have cracked some out in the past to have them pressed.

If you send in a comic for a re-holder, they will give it the same grade as it held, unless they reason to believe that the comic has changed in grade due to shipping, dropping, whatever.  They reserve the right to regrade it, if deemed appropriate.

The thing I would examine before sending back in for a re-holder is if the comic has any cover "overhang", misalignment where the cover extends past the page stack.  If it does, the cover is susceptible to curling over any time during the process of re-holdering - just a lot of handling involved and shipment both ways. 

If you have been fortunate enough that your comic with overhang is dead flat, that the overhang has not curled over, don't push your luck.  It may not be worth the risk.

That is what worries me.  I think I just might leave well enough alone and sit this one out.

1 hour ago, vheflin said:

When you reholder a current gen slab, don't they just remove the shell then stick the inner well into a new shell possibly with new label?

Or is the book always completely cracked out and given a whole new holder including inner well same as submitting a raw book?

???

@The Lions Den, do you know?

Greetings, CGC members

I will throw out my two cents for someone to pick up. I recently submitted a slab that I acquired of eBay. I was so excited to get this book because it was a Copper Age CGC 9.9 Grade and was sure to improve my current collection. I was utterly disappointed, when I received the book from the seller in a bubble mailer. YES! A FREAKING BUBBLE MAILER! :jawdrop: I knew before I even opened this mailer, that the book was going to be damaged. N' of course it was cracked in several places on the slab upon opening it. So, I have submitted it to CGC for a re-holder, and I am hoping it retains the coveted CGC 9.9 Grade, but I have my doubts, due to the condition of the slab. When it returns, I will share photos, and let you all know what happens.

Best Regards, 

Brian W.

slpfi27

Wow, what a dilemma! You buy a 9.9 and the seller doesn't have the common sense to protect it properly during shipment. What an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. 

If you put in an insurance claim, if it had insurance, it could be denied due to how poorly it was packed. And you really don't want the money, you want the 9.9.

But now you are sending it in for a reholder, which could take the seller off the hook, as you are altering what you received. I hope all the buyer/seller stuff already got settled. 

Good luck with the new holder. I hope they leave the grade alone. And if not, that seller should be taken out behind the wood shed for a good whoopin'. Either way, the whoopin' is merited.

On 2/10/2021 at 12:07 PM, vheflin said:

???

They say they replace the inner sleeve along with the label and slab. That's what they SAY, but it's not always the case.