• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First CGC slab back...is this good or bad?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Received my first submission of book back and I see that there is something odd with the slab.  I thought moisture at first, no clue. If you press where the discoloration is it moves somewhat.

I didn't see it on any of the other books.  I do live in Maine so maybe riding in the postal van caused this as the cold weather may be the culprit?  

IMG_2813.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

Wow, if that "Newton" post was any closer it would have bitten me :)

Thanks for the clarification everyone, much appreciated.

P.S.  I get that its a "thing" in the CGC world, plastic on plastic, but honestly either someone is having an item slabbed for presentation or resale and this would be an issue for me.  Not sure how that is ok with QA and it gets sent along. 

Good news is that it was the only one of the 24 I got back.

sometimes it will lessen over time, the effect is two pieces of plastic on top of each other so stored flat I have had it lessen but not go away completely.

An intrepid individual might do what some others have, and carefully insert some sturdy but non abrasive paperish material to get in between the 2 pieces and free them from their embrace and then pull back out. Light pressure on the sides may open a crack enough to try. It takes a brave soul but can be done from what others say, at least I think that worked at one time.