• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen Books Alert!!
6 6

95 posts in this topic

Just now, Funnybooks said:

All's well that ends well....a lesson learned and luckily not the hard way. Happy for you Daniel...although I was eyeing the Love Experiences :foryou:..beautiful book

You’ve got something way nicer then that on the way! It is a really nice copy and the Carson City pedigree just adds to it.

2 hours ago, Daniel Boshell said:
3 hours ago, CatskillMike said:

That's alarming seeing how they got in through the top. So is this a unit inside one of those renovated warehouses? Look like they laid steel mesh cable across the top which sounds pretty good to me. Not too good on the supports that were supposed to hold the mesh in place though.

It’s a Public Storage facility. Just the regular indoor kind you see everywhere. Apparently all of the climate controlled ones are built this way. I won’t be storing anything of value in a storage unit ever again. Clothes and furniture!

If I remember correctly, isn't that the same way they got through into the storage unit for the Alfred Pennyworth Collection:  :censored:

https://www.ha.com/heritage-auctions-press-releases-and-news/one-of-the-most-storied-and-celebrated-collections-of-batman-comics-heads-to-heritage-auctions-in-november.s?releaseId=4006

All I can say is that the owner, Randy Lawrence, was extremely lucky that he was able to recover his 7-figure comic book collection in the end.  :applause:

23 hours ago, lou_fine said:

All I can say is that the owner, Randy Lawrence, was extremely lucky that he was able to recover his 7-figure comic book collection in the end.  :applause:

Jason at Trade-N-Games in Missouri had his entire huge safe stolen from his store back in 2019.  It had about 125 rare video games in it valued at almost $100,000.  They caught the people that did it, but only managed to get back about 25 of the games from various game stores across the country from as far away as Las Vegas.  Problem was, many (all?) of them were high grade and encased by Wata grading company.  The ones they found had been de-slabbed and were pretty beat up when he got them back.

He had insurance, but many of them were his personal collection that he had spent years (decades?) accumulating.  Here's the video about the ones they were able to retrieve.

Not a great ending. He got only those Atari games back and those boxes went probably from mint to average. What is sad is maybe some of those were almost the nicest copies of those games. The criminals probably could not sell those because some of those are really rare with box and manual. Also maybe even if they are rare there is no demand like with those Nes games that were also stolen.

Edited by godzilla43

16 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

Jason at Trade-N-Games in Missouri had his entire huge safe stolen from his store back in 2019.  It had about 125 rare video games in it valued at almost $100,000.  They caught the people that did it, but only managed to get back about 25 of the games from various game stores across the country from as far away as Las Vegas.  Problem was, many (all?) of them were high grade and encased by Wata grading company.  The ones they found had been de-slabbed and were pretty beat up when he got them back.

He had insurance, but many of them were his personal collection that he had spent years (decades?) accumulating.  Here's the video about the ones they were able to retrieve.

Anyone stealing then desecrating a collection like that should be lit on fire.

On 2/12/2021 at 11:07 AM, Daniel Boshell said:

My storage unit here in Dallas was broken into and they took a box that had these comics in it if anyone comes across them.

F2A51CC6-8873-4094-AA78-1755F817192F.png

5BC47462-7288-43F0-A45D-880E1070869B.png

Great to see Comiclink get involved so quickly.

Did you determine how they got to them? Just curious.

On 2/15/2021 at 2:27 PM, Daniel Boshell said:

Spoke with Douglas and everything seems to be going to work out. ComicLink is a standup company willing to make it right! Thanks again Bumble and everyone else.

This is awesome news.

Any update on if they were able to track down the thief?

Just now, Crops068 said:

This is awesome news.

Any update on if they were able to track down the thief?

I was curious too, wonder if he's not allowed to say until the perp is apprehended, either way :wishluck: 

4 hours ago, Daniel Boshell said:

Yes, the thieves sold them to a local toy dealer here in Dallas who then consigned to ComicLink. I have them back now. 

This is great news. Congratulations!

4 hours ago, Daniel Boshell said:

They have the person’s ID who sold them to a local toy dealer here. He has a clean background so prolly not the thief but I’m sure he knows them.

sean-william-scott-mullet-min.gif.bb73dee4161d3fb6b98dd62822a1d41c.gif

5 hours ago, Daniel Boshell said:

Yes, the thieves sold them to a local toy dealer here in Dallas who then consigned to ComicLink. I have them back now. 

They have the person’s ID who sold them to a local toy dealer here. He has a clean background so prolly not the thief but I’m sure he knows them.

Glad to hear you have your books back and that you’re close to finding out who the thief is that stole your books!

That is great, I hope they catch the punk(s).  Very glad you got your books back.  Kudos to ComicLink for how they handled the situation.