• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eniac, how do we feel about this methodology?
1 1

326 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

That doesn't seem right. From what I've read, the "Not firsts" are supposed to be available indefinitely. Maybe they could only get as many as they got of the first prints *right now*, but they should be available again when they can print more up. They may wait until they have a minimum number of reorders to print off more, so they may not be available right away, but eventually.

Here in the UK you can pre-order the 'Not 1st print' for 28th March. But as all our shops are still closed at the moment there was no chance of ever getting hold of an actual 1st print.

On 3/8/2021 at 9:43 AM, RickSp said:

Here in the UK you can pre-order the 'Not 1st print' for 28th March. But as all our shops are still closed at the moment there was no chance of ever getting hold of an actual 1st print.

Forbidden Planet Online is your friend.

17 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

Does this feel a little bit like a ploy to get you to pre-order all of their books before you get a chance to read one? Or am I just being cynical?

I still can’t find a 2nd print ☹️

I don't see how is cynicism when that is exactly what they asked readers to do.

1 hour ago, BrooksR said:

Does this feel a little bit like a ploy to get you to pre-order all of their books before you get a chance to read one? Or am I just being cynical?

My understanding is that stores are required to order at least as much as they ordered for #1 for subsequent issues. How stores sell them are up to them. Some stores were requiring pre-orders for the entire series, understandably, so they're not stuck with extra books. Some retailers (such as Midtown) have them available individually.

9 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

4:45 We were meant to launch in April 2020.

15:25 (in regards to orders) "We did our best guess at what stores would order."

16:08 "What we are trying to do is get the books in the hands of readers."

So, they had almost a year to plan for this and still shorted shops by not creating a true FOC and printing before orders were in.

It is like the limited print run variants, it is created demand.

6 hours ago, BrooksR said:

Dinesh did the same thing when at Valiant and offered pre-order bundles for some titles that included extra material. 

6 hours ago, BrooksR said:

I sent you a link to a store that has 2nd prints available and ship.  It is where I ordered my 2nd print from.

16 hours ago, NWOslave said:

Dinesh did the same thing when at Valiant and offered pre-order bundles for some titles that included extra material. 

They have variant covers if you did that. I don't recall extra material.

In fairness to them, who knew that the market would be as crazy as it is right now. If we did not have COVID and they had been able to launch last April as planned, the market was not as frothy as it currently is and the demand/hype would have been lower. All you need to do is look at the numbers for another no-brainer spec play, Strange Academy, at the time (Comichron estimate is just over 71K copies across 5 covers). Other "hot" Boom or Image books would pop to $20 and that was a nice win.

3 hours ago, kimik said:

In fairness to them, who knew that the market would be as crazy as it is right now. If we did not have COVID and they had been able to launch last April as planned, the market was not as frothy as it currently is and the demand/hype would have been lower. All you need to do is look at the numbers for another no-brainer spec play, Strange Academy, at the time (Comichron estimate is just over 71K copies across 5 covers). Other "hot" Boom or Image books would pop to $20 and that was a nice win.

That's irrelevant. The books were not printed last April.

Don't have mine yet unfortunately since I ordered the "bundle" - but one of latest 9.8's at $700 with about 90 minutes to go, CBCS mind you: ENIAC #1 1st Print CBCS 9.8 IN HAND READY TO SHIP not cgc | eBay

I talked to a different employee at my lcs (one of the stores that carry bad idea) and she said their experience hasn’t been positive so far. They are frustrated that their full order wasn’t fulfilled and they haven’t yet been able to get more. She said it’s difficult to try to explain to customers.