• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eniac, how do we feel about this methodology?
1 1

326 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, FormerReader said:
8 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

So what happens when he leaves this company?(Because he did that with Valiant)
Does he still have your loyalty? I am just asking for a friend.

He didn’t leave Valiant he was forced out. 

That's a fair enough assessment I didn't really want to use that term, but it applies.

7 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

As FormerReader said, he was forced out. There were investors that had a controlling interest and, as far as I can tell, they didn't like that Dinesh was more interested in making good comics than… whatever it is that they were interested in doing. Bad Idea is starting small; I don't know the details, but I doubt there is another outsider investor that has a controlling interest this time around.

Again I understand this. My question was still about loyalty and when it stops. If he is forced out again
it still applies? Just asking here dont kill the messenger.

23 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Again I understand this. My question was still about loyalty and when it stops. If he is forced out again

bad customer service, lying, ethical lapses, broken promises, lack of communication. 

55 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

For me, it would depend on what he did for the company. At Valiant he took a dormant property that had seen its best years pass it by and brought a passion back to the property, brought in a bunch of great talent, most of which followed him out the door. The fact the talent all walked to continue to work with him is telling to me. 

Having said that, if he had poisoned the company, screwed over his creators, took advantage of his fans, then he would be owed no loyalty. That is not who he is though. He is a fan first and foremost. He put his time and money into something that none of us have done and he has always been very generous to the fan base. If we were talking about fastballspecial instead of Dinesh and you had carried yourself in the same manner, I would show you the same loyalty.

I get not everyone loves what Bad Idea has done so far, but this is a challenging time to start a new company and they are trying something different, right or wrong. If it’s not for you, no problem, but I am looking forward to seeing what they can do.

I think what they are doing is great. It's a great balance of giving collectors great books, creating buzz, getting people into their LCS, and understanding their place and doing their own thing by not trying to compete with the big two. They see a niche and as a small company not going through Diamond they are trying to get their product out to the best shops that support what they are about. Their clearly understand the social psychology of hype and scarcity and combined it with clever marketing and amazing talent. 

Perhaps the best part is that they understand that if their stories aren't up to snuff no one will care. ENIAC 1 was absolutely amazing imo and made me even more excited for what's to come. I think it's a great way to jump into the industry. Not doing trades (yet) or digital (yet) and getting people excited to go to a shop may only attract passionate readers that are really into their books allowing them to focus on other things, which is how they would prefer it .

And don't pay over cover price for the "not first printings" because they will be continuously printed :)

After Fear Case, BRZRKR and now Eniac, I can't wait to read more of Kindt's stuff! 

1 hour ago, yoda12288 said:

I think what they are doing is great. It's a great balance of giving collectors great books, creating buzz, getting people into their LCS, and understanding their place and doing their own thing by not trying to compete with the big two. They see a niche and as a small company not going through Diamond they are trying to get their product out to the best shops that support what they are about. Their clearly understand the social psychology of hype and scarcity and combined it with clever marketing and amazing talent. 

Perhaps the best part is that they understand that if their stories aren't up to snuff no one will care. ENIAC 1 was absolutely amazing imo and made me even more excited for what's to come. I think it's a great way to jump into the industry. Not doing trades (yet) or digital (yet) and getting people excited to go to a shop may only attract passionate readers that are really into their books allowing them to focus on other things, which is how they would prefer it .

And don't pay over cover price for the "not first printings" because they will be continuously printed :)

After Fear Case, BRZRKR and now Eniac, I can't wait to read more of Kindt's stuff! 

If you haven't already read his Valiant work, I highly recommend it. Especially Ninjak. He also wrote the 2013 Rai series, which Clayton Crain did all of the art for, the 2017 X-O Manowar series (which had a number of top artists on it), and Unity.

SO here is what I do not know.  Some of these books that they are releasing, are they world building to a shared universe or are we getting limited series after limited series.  I have no idea how Whalesville is going to pan out.  Supposed to have a hidden civilization the belly of the whale.  (shrug) 

That has boom or bust written all over it.

56 minutes ago, carter3175 said:

SO here is what I do not know.  Some of these books that they are releasing, are they world building to a shared universe or are we getting limited series after limited series.  I have no idea how Whalesville is going to pan out.  Supposed to have a hidden civilization the belly of the whale.  (shrug) 

That has boom or bust written all over it.

I think it’s standalone limited release after limited release. I don’t know if this is the case, but each issue may have a Hero Trade story that will run through all books. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

5 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

I think it’s standalone limited release after limited release. I don’t know if this is the case, but each issue may have a Hero Trade story that will run through all books. 

5 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I'd love to see a connected universe, but it isn't my impressions that that's what's happening right now.

That is disappointing.  If I had 1 complaint about Valiant when Dinesh was there was the number of restarts and 1st issues they had.  I'm not a fan of that at all.  I will try and give this a shot for a sec and read my copies when I get them in hand.  I'm curious to see where this is going to go.

So my lcs is one of the 100 stores that have the books.  When I went in they were sold out of eniac, of course, but they said they can't get the later printings because they can only order as many as they had the first prints, and they had already sold all of them. Also, it's too late to order the rest of the series.  All I could order was the whale one (should I?  It looked kind of goofy to me). Does that sound right?  If that's true then there is literally  no way I can read them.  What kind of *$%! backward marketing is that?! Very frustrating, as I actually was interested in reading it.

51 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

So my lcs is one of the 100 stores that have the books.  When I went in they were sold out of eniac, of course, but they said they can't get the later printings because they can only order as many as they had the first prints, and they had already sold all of them. Also, it's too late to order the rest of the series.  All I could order was the whale one (should I?  It looked kind of goofy to me). Does that sound right?  If that's true then there is literally  no way I can read them.  What kind of *$%! backward marketing is that?! Very frustrating, as I actually was interested in reading it.

You can still pre-order issue 3 & 4 at TFAW and maybe some other online stores that participate. 

7 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

You can still pre-order issue 3 & 4 at TFAW and maybe some other online stores that participate. 

Good call, thanks! I just preordered 2-4 on tfaw. Maybe I can read #1 online somewhere?

1 hour ago, BrooksR said:

That doesn't seem right. From what I've read, the "Not firsts" are supposed to be available indefinitely. Maybe they could only get as many as they got of the first prints *right now*, but they should be available again when they can print more up. They may wait until they have a minimum number of reorders to print off more, so they may not be available right away, but eventually.

1 hour ago, BrooksR said:

Good call, thanks! I just preordered 2-4 on tfaw. Maybe I can read #1 online somewhere?

No problem. Only if it’s bootlegged. Bad Idea isn’t doing digital or TPB. I know for issue #2 a shop’s minimum order is what it placed for the first issue. 3rd issue will be based on #2 and so on. I think that’s how they are handling each of the titles for this year.

The not first prints are basically being printed when demand hits a certain level. No idea what that level is, though, and is frustrating if you miss out on an issue - especially now with late allocations.

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 3/6/2021 at 7:25 PM, awakeintheashes said:

So, after the 2/4 allocation announcement, I made a bunch of phone calls in hopes of getting a first print because the shop I signed up with wasn’t getting any copies. Hit a brick wall every time, except for one shop that said they’d see what they could do and get back to me. We seemed to hit it off over how nonplussed we were with Bad Idea, but I never heard back from them. I decided to send a shot-in-the-dark email last night and got this response today. 

FE9D75B8-AC5A-4639-8BA5-799EF94BE481.thumb.jpeg.154e2a46d0355804318132ba983e9e22.jpeg

It’s a bit out of the way, but I set up a pull list right after I received that email. 

That is awesome.  I ended up finding a 1st print through a friend of a friend on twitter.  Called the shop (nearly 1500 miles away) and they still had them and were happily shipping copies.  If I was closer I would definitely check them out as well.