• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I buy Silver Age keys now?
7 7

107 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I don't know what you guys are making such a big deal about! 

According to the most recent guide I purchased prices look pretty flat! 

IMG_20210227_110338840.jpg

IMG_20210227_110330658.jpg

Looking at this list, it's kind of crazy to think FF3 was top 10, but X1, Avengers 1, TOS39, didn't make the cut. This was 1982 for reference. 

On 2/25/2021 at 6:02 PM, chrisco37 said:

Lots of books on fire right now.  You have to think at some point they’ll slow down/level off.  The question is when? 
If you’re buying to flip for quick profit, you could do well or you could get burned. 
If you’re buying to hold “long term”, the keys usually work out in your favor.

I found an old invoice a few weeks ago form a Spidey 15 I bought back in 2013.  I paid an aggressive (ie, above gpa) price at the time.  That’s worked out pretty well for me.  
A few years prior to that I paid under 4 figures for an FF5 that graded out at a 4.0.  Happy with that one too. 
The true blue chip books are typically good bets if you can hold them for awhile.  
The nothing character that becomes a “hot key” overnight because of a TV or movie appearance is where you are more liable to get burned.

Well stated! I am glad I bought my Spidey and FF runs about ten years ago. And then I got sucked into the FF 45 Inhumans fiasco!

On 2/25/2021 at 7:58 PM, Funnybooks said:

2.5 inch tear plus the other defects as noted 3.5 still seems a little harsh?

Avengers 4 arrived today. The back cover tear measures 3" but is tight and hard to notice. The small chip is more noticeable. Front bottom corner crease is 2".  Most noticeable on Thor's cape. IMO the white on covers hides most of it.  Book presents in a 5.0 or greater range for sure. Staining is slight not moderate. Best presenting book out of my slabbed 3.5s.

20210227_154333.jpg

20210227_155210.jpg

Edited by The Man Without Beer