• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I buy Silver Age keys now?
7 7

107 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:
On 2/21/2021 at 6:17 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

i think hulk1 and avengers1 are both reasonable right now, though showing signs of growth too. tos39 maybe, keep an eye on gpa to know for sure. i think hulk1 has better prospects than avengers1. i'd also recommend avoiding cream colored pages or worse. off white, off white to white, or white pages only.

beware of silver age dc keys. they've been called 'up and coming' and 'ready to burst' since i've been doing this for around 7-8 years now. and yet, they don't budge. too many marvel lovers out there who just dont care that much about anything dc, except batman. 

So true on the DC keys. Collectors always calling them a bargain and overdue, yet they haven’t gained in value for years.  In fact some have decreased.  I would have been better off putting my money into an overpriced Marvel key which still makes gains while DC just sits still at the starting line.  

Spoken like a true investor.  Some of us collectors don't care if the comics don't go up.  Being able to still collect despite the outrageous prices being paid for comics now a days is seen as a good thing, not a negative.  Teen Titans, Doom Patrol, Green Lantern, Justice League, and on and on...   There are a lot of fun stories and good collectables that won't cost you your retirement even if they aren't the most sound 'investments'.

28 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

Spoken like a true investor.  Some of us collectors don't care if the comics don't go up.  Being able to still collect despite the outrageous prices being paid for comics now a days is seen as a good thing, not a negative.  Teen Titans, Doom Patrol, Green Lantern, Justice League, and on and on...   There are a lot of fun stories and good collectables that won't cost you your retirement even if they aren't the most sound 'investments'.

thank you. i am an investor who loves comics, and prefers to invest my money in something i love. more to the point, i was responding to OP who asked if it's crazy to buy keys now and if there are any deals left. but i appreciate being judged by you for wanting to not lose money when i buy graded comics. thanks!

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

That's why I collect Fawcetts. Although, this year has even gotten crazy for them.

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I like FF1, 5, Ann 1 are going to be going up with Marvel Entertainment doing the movie right, I also like ASM 1, and ANN1...in fact any high grade marvel annuals 1965 and below are great buys now.

Especially if 6 bad guys show up in the next Spidey film, ASM Annual 1 1964 is going to take off like a rocket ship.

1 hour ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

One silver age key that you can get cheap is the first appearance of Beast Boy.  I really think that in 20 years this comic could be in demand by all the little kids who grew up watching Teen Titans Go cartoons

61CF8912-9778-47C7-B8A5-3D4B943F78D7.png

...and just like that, I found a decent copy to my liking to add to the collection. 

58A8A086-828B-4FF9-B3EF-15C645F595DB.jpeg

4 hours ago, B2D327 said:

...and just like that, I found a decent copy to my liking to add to the collection. 

58A8A086-828B-4FF9-B3EF-15C645F595DB.jpeg

I may have to get one of these for no other reason than I used to sit and watch Teen Titans Go! with my son when he was little.  I can eventually see DC developing a full-fledged (non-animated) movie from this considering the popularity of the show on HBO Max.

13 hours ago, thunsicker said:

I'm moving my focus to high grade BA DC horror. 

Great stories, amazing art.... And I can still afford it without selling off chunks of my collection. 

30 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I'm moving my focus to high grade BA DC horror. 

Great stories, amazing art.... And I can still afford it without selling off chunks of my collection. 

Is The Neal Adams Deadman stuff Silver or Bronze?  If the Justice League After Dark TV show is a hit all the Silver Age DC magic heroes could go up maybe?  (I shouldn’t have said that because I don’t have Zatanna’s 1st appearance yet.)

6997A5FB-0589-40D0-8347-389614A95546.png

3 hours ago, Pantodude said:

There appear to be many gems in DC that are relative bargains right now, as posted above.  Regardless, whatever can be said about DC's other stuff in general, it seems really short-sighted to lump SC4, BB28 and Flash123 into that mix.   Even as a mainly Marvel guy, it seems obvious to me that SC4, BB28 and Flash 123 should not need a catalyst.  They are holy grails for all SA fans, including Marvel fans.  SC4 (1st Flash in SA) started the whole SA, for crying out loud, and Flash is super important to the entire DC universe.  All you X-Men, Avengers, FF, and Justice League fans out there, BB28 kicked off the team concept for the entire SA.  And Flash123 introduced the multi-verse to comic books!   The multi-verse has been very important to both DC and Marvel for how many decades now?  And it is clear that the multi-verse will be taking center stage going forward for both Marvel and Disney.  These three DC books are pricey, but then again, they are arguably the most important SA books (regardless of publisher), with obvious impact on SA's development even 60 years later and with no end in sight.   Just writing this warms my heart to DC.  I for one look forward to exploring DC keys.  

Those big 3 aren't common, but I was surprised to learn that they are scarcer than all the early Marvel SA keys, with the sole exception of TTA27.  BB28 and Flash 123 only have like a thousand universal in the census, and SC4 only 363!   I didn't know it was THAT low.  

This is very true - there are some really important DC Keys that are really overlooked and their relative scarcity make Marvel keys look abundant.  Plus there are just some awesome books - in addition to those mentioned above like: Showcase 22, Green Lantern 7, Action 242 and 252, Superboy 68, Adventure Comics 247, Flash 105, MGA 80, Batman 121 and 181, Tec 359 - the list can go on and on.  So while not rising as fast as Marvel keys - I also see their value as more secure given it is not speculation based and there is a much smaller supply (in most cases).

I collect both DC (Superman and Batman) and Marvel (X-Men and Iron Man) - so Marvel keys going nuts right now, I am focusing on DC - not that I won't grab a great Marvel Key if a good opportunity presents itself :) 

10 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Is The Neal Adams Deadman stuff Silver or Bronze?  If the Justice League After Dark TV show is a hit all the Silver Age DC magic heroes could go up maybe?  (I shouldn’t have said that because I don’t have Zatanna’s 1st appearance yet.)

6997A5FB-0589-40D0-8347-389614A95546.png

I'm not really sure. 

Right now, I'm working on house of secrets and dabbling with house of mystery. I may jump into Phantom stranger to.